0 comments

General

You may have written a book based on something which interested you, but you will find its publication not easy. Last year I had finished writing two books and had dreamt of publishing them. I had called Mr. Zubin the chief executive of a well-known publishing house and said directly “I’ve written two books and the manuscripts are ready for publication. I thought I could meet you in that connection.”

He said “You’re welcome in my office. Would 9 AM tomorrow be convenient to you?” and it was agreed to.

Zubin’s office was in the downtown area and after I could find a parking slot, I was inside the premises exactly at the specified hour. A security man led me to Zubin’s office. Zubin greeted me very warmly and gave me his card. He was fair, short, quite bald and had a trim moustache besides a goatee.  He was dressed in a T-shirt of a very quiet colour over sparkling white pants. The office was tastefully furnished and I didn’t miss noticing the expensive Moleskine diary – another status symbol - he had on his table as I took a seat facing him.

There was the usual small talk between us during which he said “The office is empty since we start work only at 10.”

My eagerness was betrayed when I said abruptly “I’ve written 2 novels – one a historical romance, and the other an adventure novel based on my experiences in the Andamans. I would like to at least get one of my books published. Here is a short write up about me.” I held out a sheet of paper to him. He drew on his reading glasses and took his time scanning the contents of the page I had handed over to him. He said to me pointing “Several books have been stacked in that broom closet. Our—“ He now got a phone call, and before accepting it he said “Our staff haven’t come in yet. If you don’t mind, could you pick up at random 4 of the books from the shelves there and bring them to me for discussion? It is an un-lit space.”

Zubin had finished the call when I came back with 4 books picked up in the dark. He said ”Thanks” and continued with a little laugh “See what you’ve brought!”

I was surprised to see I had brought 4 copies of the same book. Zubin said “These are 4 of 2000 copies published by us. This book is a historical romance set in Eastern Europe. The author was of mixed parentage and had returned to settle in India. He passed away a few months ago. He had brought his manuscript to me and after reading it, I had said that there would be no market for the book in India. But he refused to accept my opinion, and actually paid the cost of our producing 2000 copies. Except for about 100 copies sent for review etc the remaining are in that broom closet.”

I was staring at Zubin listening to what he was saying. He continued “The author’s language is good. He has lived in those parts of the world and had understood the people there. His love scenes, though bordering on the explicit, were interesting.”

I asked “Then why didn’t the book sell?”

“Readers were unfamiliar with the author’s name or credentials. I had reasoned that people wouldn’t be interested in reading about a romance of 3 centuries ago set in an entirely unfamiliar geographical area where natives had widely different customs and manners. The names of the characters in the book were unpronounceable and were difficult to remember while following the narrative. In short the book was reader-unfriendly. As they say books are long and life is short. This book is almost 800 pages and is boring at stages due to extra long descriptions of nature, weather, architecture of palaces, churches etc and even of wild life! I must mention that book length would also be a handicap to sales. And of course the book was priced high. May I ask you a question?”

“Of course.”

“How many books published abroad did you buy last year?”

“None. They were expensive.”

“Alright. How many books published in India did you buy?”

 I shook my head and said “I read books from the local library.”

“When you didn’t buy any, how can you expect others to buy books you are now intent on getting published? Also, you’re an unknown author.” I was silent. He continued “Libraries would have to invest on books. Would they buy an unknown’s works? You’ve to accept the fact that these days, people have less time to read, with TV etc competing. Today the English language is on the decline here. Instead, writing and readership in the vernacular have become quite popular. So the number of people buying books in English has dwindled.”

I laughed and said “You’ve put me off from my writing quest! What do you think could be published?”

He thought a little and said “Write for children. Graphic books would sell well. Self help books could be popular, cookery, recipes, yoga, books on pets etc. Philosophical works derived from scriptures and epics may sell. Psychology of sex would sell. Readers do read astrology besides other abstruse works like life after death, and that genre. And of course, books written in plain language about diseases we face and their treatment could be marketed. Again there is the possibility that ‘adult’ versions of vintage books like say PRIDE AND PREJUDICE could’ve sales as old classic writers couldn’t think the way of moderns and had felt shy of describing amorous manoeuvres! Remember there were days of expurgated books till recently, which had included DH Lawrence’s LADY CHATTERLEY’S LOVER.” He paused, thought a little and said “To be able to publish, you must write something interesting which would be useful to readers. Something others haven’t thought about.”

As I was listening carefully Zubin added “Of course there is a way out for publishing other genres: Self publish! Amazon offers the e book escape. You could consider that route as well. That would be the way to publish historical romances and adventure books.” There was silence for a minute. Then he said with a laugh “I think I’ve discouraged you fairly extensively! Actually I’ve given you what I consider as good advice.”

I said “Many thanks for advising me. You haven’t discouraged me. I’ll seriously think over what all you’ve said and decide.”

As I was about to leave, Zubin said “Please take home the books you had brought out of the broom closet. Those would remind you about this meeting.”

I said “Thanks. I’ll take just one of them as reminder and as a souvenir.”

Returning from Zubin, I had difficulty finding a subject to write about. I was confident about my versatility! I persisted until I found a topic and worked hard on it. This year I again went to Zubin with the new manuscript. He studied it and made certain suggestions which I incorporated. The book went into print just last month and I became the author of a published book! In the preface to the book I had included the following comment with my thanks: ‘This publication would not have been possible without the active support of Mr.Zubin.’ The subject to write about had been fortunately found! That is deus ex machina!

The following is a review of my book by a book reviewer - an author herself - published in a newspaper: The book WITCHCRAFT AND SPELLS by the male author whose pen name is abracadabra, breaks new ground in this esoteric field. He has studied witchcraft in many societies and has compared it with what is prevailing in India. He has also recorded the mantras or spells from different sources including from the arthasastra written by the famed philosopher Kautilya. He writes that it is important to commence casting spells to achieve results either for destruction or otherwise, on days when the astrological sign cancer prevails. The book is replete with examples in real life of the efficacy of witchcraft and spells. The author has described how couvade had evolved. He has also given methods of de-witching using body parts etc in rituals. The only trouble would be  to get specific body parts and the like. For instance, hair from parts of the human body normally unseen, or bat excreta. The author has a whole chapter to cover use of witchcraft to gain a preferred mate and it is interesting. Abracadabra has not limited himself to witchcraft and spells. He has discussed the occurrence of omens to forecast events. He has written about the outcome of the ubiquitous lizard falling on different parts of the human body. In the book he has written ‘whoever has anointed his legs with oil extracted from the roots of the trees erythrina indica, euphorbia and banana mixed with frog’s serum can walk over fire without being singed.’ May be the ancients used such concoctions and didn’t really rely on faith alone in fire walking ceremonies! The author has tabulated the recommended auspicious and inauspicious hours for use by people in different latitudes. This is a pioneering work indeed.

Dr. Roland Hawes retired professor of psychiatry had this to say about my book: The work would be of interest only to those who prefer antiquary. It cannot be said the various spells would work in the present day. Abracadabra has compiled witchcraft in a very interesting way which would sustain readers’ interest, but many of the beliefs and rituals described are not in tune with contemporary life and practices. The author hasn’t included dream interpretation which is an important sequence in witchery. Otherwise it is a good read.

END

June 18, 2020 04:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.