10 comments

Thriller Horror Mystery

Sylvia woke up dazed, she didn't know where she was or how she got there, she tried hard to remember, even the slightest detail could help but unfortunately for her, her mind had gone blank.

She looked around trying to make sense of it all, it seemed to be an abandoned building, perhaps it belonged to no one and she didn't understand exactly why she felt that way but she hoped no one lived here.

The paint crumbling off the walls, the dust gathered on the floor and the overall dilapidated condition of the house told her exactly what she wanted to hear, that the house was currently uninhabited.

It seemed to bring her a small sense of relief amidst all the chaos but her mind was still as blank as when she woke up and it refused to recall anything, her head throbbed but she was sure she had no injuries, at least no visible ones.

As she walked around she found no sign of a door or any window, all she could see was something written on the wall, as she walked closer, she could see that the writing was incomplete and it seemed to be written with some sort of a black paint.

KILL H

The words made her gasp in horror, she could not understand exactly what they meant and as she leaned in closer to get a better look, she noticed the paint was drying and the two letters next to 'H' were smudged, she tried hard to grasp their meaning but they were unreadable.

All that she could decipher was that the incomplete word was either 'him' or 'her' and since the paint was drying, it had been written by someone who either wanted to kill her or wanted her to kill someone.

But who was she supposed to kill?

As she thought hard, her gaze fell towards two dolls lying on the floor, it was clear they were left as a message for her, she picked them up with trembling hands, one doll was dressed in a frock and the other in jeans and a shirt, the clothing felt familiar but she couldn't recall exactly where she had seen it.

She tried her best to recall anything that would help explain her situation but she couldn't remember anything apart from her name, all she knew was that her name was Sylvia and that she was thirty.

She knew she had friends and family but she couldn't recall their names or faces. Defeated, she continued to walk, trying to find clues around the house but there was nothing there apart from dust, no sign of furniture nor any sign that anything had been moved.

The dust irritated her nostrils and she hated it but her mind was preoccupied with something more dangerous, she feared that maybe she had gotten it all wrong, maybe she was the target and somebody was after her.

Her heartbeat spiked up, she could almost feel her heart leaping into her throat, she froze in fear, she didn't know what to do or where to go, if she was the target, she was sure there was no escape.

She stood still, like a prey being too scared to move, she didn't know how many minutes or hours had passed before she started walking again, she looked back terrified but there was no sign of anyone else apart from her.

She looked around, maybe someone was hiding with a weapon, ready to attack her, the thought gave her chills but she knew she had to confront them, there was no chance of running away and there was nothing around that she could use as a weapon.

Her search was futile and didn't give her any results, there was no one apart from her and she was all alone in the house, she slumped against the wall in exhaustion, she was thirsty but she had no will left in her to walk more.

She sighed, she knew she should get out of the house, perhaps there was an attacker who was just about to return and she should make sure she was out of the house before that.

She walked for several minutes terrified that an attacker would show up out of nowhere before she could see a door, she approached it cautiously, the handle was clean unlike the house.

She tried the handle and the door opened easily, it made her jump back initially but she calmed herself down, she didn't have time nor energy to waste on trivial things, she looked out of the house, she realized it was night time and she couldn't make out the surroundings.

Hesitantly, she stepped out, she scanned the surroundings but there was no one there and she could feel relief washing up over her, she took a deep breath before walking out and she could see a car in the distance, it's headlights were on and she reluctantly walked towards it.

She kept looking behind her, her stomach was falling apart in panic as she thought about her attacker luring her out and waiting for her in the car, was she walking towards her death?

She shook her head, the thought alone was enough to send a wave of fear coursing through her, maybe it was someone passing by or someone who stopped for a rest and she knew very well, she didn't have any other options, if she stayed in the house, she would surely starve to death or worse.

She clenched her teeth at the thought of worse, she knew what was worse and she tried her best to not think about it. As she reached near the car, she could see no one was there in it and that made her fear even worse.

But she convinced herself to look inside and what she saw made her scream in horror, there was the body of a young woman lying in the backseat, her pink dress was covered in blood.

She fell back in horror and her gaze fell to the small knife lying on the ground, it was covered in blood and it was clear that it was the weapon used in the crime.

It looked surprisingly familiar, the harder she looked, the more everything seemed familiar, the keys were still plugged in the car and as she pulled them out, she realized this was her car and the woman in the backseat someone she knew well.

Amelia

The name rang in her mind as she realized who the woman was, her bitter rival in highschool who became her friend later on, although the friendship was shortlived, the friendship soured as Amelia became a more successful fashion designer than her.

As she looked again at the knife in her hand and the abandoned house, she realized why she had come to the house, as she looked at the beer bottles and the paint can in the front seat, she regretted drinking so much, if she hadn't passed out drunk, she would have done what she had intended to do sooner.

February 22, 2024 07:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
11:26 Feb 27, 2024

So familiar to me. Spend countless nights in abandoned ruins and houses, scared of the silence around me, where every image I see in my mind is the message left for me to understand. Scare of my own thoughts. That's what this story reminded me. I didn't like to write short stories. I always thought ( even these days I do) that I couldn't write that kind of stuff. But I like reed the story of others. Nice one.

Reply

Sarah Saleem
13:05 Feb 28, 2024

Thanks!✨️ I just built on the atmosphere.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:34 Feb 22, 2024

Under the influence...

Reply

Sarah Saleem
07:19 Feb 23, 2024

Yes

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
14:15 Feb 22, 2024

Oooo scary!

Reply

Sarah Saleem
07:19 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks!✨️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
11:35 Feb 22, 2024

Chilling one, Sarah. Great job!

Reply

Sarah Saleem
07:18 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks!✨️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
08:33 Feb 22, 2024

The monster within. Chilling. A gripping story through and through. Nicely done.

Reply

Sarah Saleem
07:18 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks!✨️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.