0 comments

Romance Adventure Suspense

Let me tell you something, I will never give up. Ha! You are mistaken if you think I'm going away. In fact, you are gonna witness my Wrath. That I promise you. Btw, I’m known for breaking promises, keep that in mind. Jared walked away slowly. It hurt him so much. He did all he could to keep calm. He tried so much to suppress his anger. He must admit, he did a good job. He was so darn tired. Well, they should have chosen better, because he was going to burn them. Crispy.

On the other side of town, Tania cried herself to sleep. It was breaking her heart. The only thing she truly loved in the world was being taken away from her. She loved that piece of land with all her life. It was her life. Her heart shed tears. Actually, it bled. But her eyes just stared into nothingness. Blank. How she wished, the tears would just flow, like the river and carry away her pain. 

If there is one thing the land had taught Tania, it was how to be grateful. The sun peeked its way through the banana trees, Tania stood in the middle of the compound, and was reflected by the light of the sun. she felt its warmth as it burned her skin. It was like her morning medication. The sun, as if responding to her maneuvers, lit her up. She glowed in the clear blue skies. She smiled and closed her eyes. She stared up at the sky, took in a deep breath, and thanked the heavens for another day. She loved the air, the way when the sun rose, everything would wake up. It was like it resurrected them. Tania only knew the love she had for the sun. It was her favorite thing in the world. The birds chirped in response, and finally, the day had started.

Grrrr! Grrrr! Jared woke up to the sound of the alarm clock. He stretched his hands across the bed and turned off the alarm clock. He put the blanket over his head and breathed in and out. After 5 minutes, he decided it was time to wake up. He knelt beside the bed and said a short prayer. Jared was a religious man. He never went to church, but he did say a prayer every single day. That fact had always amazed his sister. She wondered how he could be so committed. He took the remote and pressed the key. The curtains moved in response. He was greeted by the beautiful scene of sunrise in the city. He had done well for himself. He lived in a high-rise apartment building. I mean even you would fall in love with the view. He opened the giant glass doors and surprisingly let in the fresh air. He looked into the horizon, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. Today was the day. 

Back in the city, Josh was one angry boss. Who the hell did Jared think he was? For life’s sake, didn't he know that he would fire him? 

“Good Morning Sir!” Ashley welcomed his boss with a warm smile. Josh turned around, nodded, and went into his office. Closing the door with a bang. That was a clear sign to Ashley that her boss didn't want to be bothered. Josh loosened his tie and threw it in the chair, unbuttoning two buttons in the process. Josh was a good-looking man, and he knew it. Sometimes he even wondered why he bothered with the ties. Then he remembered. Back to the matter at hand. He opened the windows and let in the fresh air. He had to calm down, that was for sure. Josh had the corner office. His office was magnificent by all means. There is a reason why he was a partner at the firm.

Jared was in a sticky situation. He suddenly remembered all the things he had said yesterday. He had to get his act together. The only problem was, he had made empty threats. He had nothing and that was worse than barking. He was not a quitter that was for sure. He knew there was something, he only needed to find it. But where to look?

Tania rushed to the river to fetch water. More like she strutted along the dirt path to the river. She enjoyed the scenery. The mist covered the hills as the sun attempted to penetrate its way in. Tania breathed in heavily. She felt sad. Soon, all these might be taken away. She couldn't understand how. How that was even humanly possible. Although she would never admit it, this time she needs help. The help of a professional. Preferably, someone who knew how to do their job.

Although Tania loved traveling, it always made her sad every time she had to leave. But still, she loved the thrill of going to a new place. Today was no different. She had to go to the city. The only problem was, her grandmother.  

As soon as tea was ready, Tania took her breakfast. She was ready and packed. Headed to the city. She was very sure her grandmother would hear her leave, but she took her chances. Once she was done, she looked at the tiny kitchen and felt a wave of sadness strike her. The fire was so warm, the way it burned her skin that beautiful morning. She would miss that. But who knew! She gathered her courage, put out the fire, and swung her bags. As she approached the main gate, her grandmother called out to her. Tania stopped in her tracks.

“You were going to leave without saying goodbye?” her grandmother asked her. Tania felt guilty. She looked back and saw the love in her grandmother's eyes. As she stood there looking at her. It's funny that she had not even heard her behind her. She rushed to her and gave her a big hug. This time she cried. She shed the tears that she had wanted to shed for a while. It felt good. Her heart now felt clean and lighter. 

“There you go my girl, let it all out!” her grandmother whispered as she rubbed her back. 

“I’m scared, grandma!” Tania said amidst cries

“I know! But remember, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Now go and go with a pure heart” her grandmother held her shoulders and looked her in the eyes. Tania now felt relieved. She wiped her eyes and left. Her grandmother whispered love to her. She was ready.

If there was one thing Jared loved in this world, that would be his vehicles. His vehicles were magnificent; he owned the Jaguar XK120 - 1954. A car that his friends always criticized. You don't know about cars, he would tell them. Today, however, Jared was driving the range rover sports. He loved his toys, and he wasn't afraid to show them. He cruised the roads like they belonged to him. To him, he owned the streets. 

Tania watched the trees as they were blown away by the wind. She loved that forest so much. She was going to miss her hometown. She sat in a window seat and lay her head on the window. She watched as the trees were left behind.

Bang! Tania was woken up by a loud bang. She woke up to find people screaming. Their bus had been hit. The two cars swerved away from the road. With each driver attempting to save lives. The two cars ended up in the vast dry land. Each in their own space. Thankfully the cars didn't rollover. Lives were saved. A few bruises here and there. People got out of the vehicles to the shining sun. thankful to feel its heat again. Some were still in shock. Others are thankful for another day.

Jared was not mad, he was furious. Could this day get any worse, his car had a dent. That angered him. But he remembered he had not died. He had lived again. Not that he was complaining. 

Tania was grateful to the heavens that she was okay. She had no bruises. It's like she wasn't in the same vehicle as to the others. As soon as her head was right. She looked around for the driver. The driver was sitting down on the grass, holding his head between his hands. Tania couldn't tell whether he was praying or crying. She approached him slowly and tapped his shoulder.

“Hi, you did a great job with the bus” the driver lifted his head and looked at the stranger. Those words made him feel relieved. He wasn't crying, but from his face, it was clear that he was going through a hard time.

“Listen, I need a first aid kit if you have one. We need to treat the wounds before the ambulance gets here.” Tania told the driver. The driver smiled and went over to the bus. He handed her the first aid kit. Although small, it would do the job. Tania thought it ironic that her first aid skills were finally being put to practice. Although not the way she had hoped. She began treating the passengers. She felt relieved that there were no children on board.

Jared looked around and felt relieved on having the sun burn his skin. He had escaped with no injuries. He went over to the bus and was shocked to find everyone calm. Then he saw her. Nursing the wounded. Jared wondered how fast the doctors had reached the scene. He hadn't heard any sirens. Something about her made his heart skip a bit. He walked slowly and approached her. Tania was busy nursing an elderly woman. She looked to be in her 60’s. Younger for her age though. But her face, you could see the years written in it.

“Excuse me!” Tania heard a chill travel throughout her body. The sound of his voice made her uneasy. Although spoken softly, one could hear the depth in the voice. She looked behind to see a man standing over her. His face was hidden by the sun. she had to shade her eyes to see him. He was good-looking. She could give him that. 

“Please wait your turn!” Tania told him.

For a moment there, Jared was shocked. “Wait my turn? Are you kidding me? Do I look like I need any help?” he thought to himself. Who the hell did she think she was? But he remained calm.

“I’m not here for that,” Jared retorted. The nerve of this guy, Tania thought to herself. Who the hell did he think he was? 

“Look, sir, as you can see, I’m very busy here, so say what you want to say or let me do my job” Tania had lost it. Immediately she had spoken those words, she regretted them coming out of her mouth.

“You look like you need some help. I will go get my first aid kit” with that Jared left. He went over to his car and took his first aid kit. Immediately he started attending to the other passengers. Tania watched him leave. So this is the guy who had caused the accident. Then she remembered that she had been asleep when the accident happened. There was no way for her to know what had happened. She went on nursing. 

By the time the ambulance got there. Jared and Tania had managed to take care of the passengers. Everyone was grateful that there were no serious injuries. Everyone left and Tania and Jared were left. Jared because he had his own car and Tania because she wanted to take a walk first before continuing with her journey.

“Great job there,” Jared told Tania. Tania could swear that she felt his breath on her neck. It made her uneasy. Yet it made her long for him. These were strange feelings she was having. If there was one thing Tania was susceptible to, it was compliments. She drank them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She tried not to smile.

“You too!” she answered back. 

“Hi, i’m Jared,” Jared introduced himself to Tania. Tania thought it more than a coincidence that he had the same name as her father. 

“Tania,” Tania answered. That is a very unique name. Jared thought to himself. Very beautiful too. Just like the owner. Was it a coincidence that they had both come out of the accident unharmed?

“That is a very beautiful name,” Jared commented as he observed her. She was beautiful. Appealing to the eyes. She was the girl of his dreams. Tania smiled beside herself. What was she thinking smiling with a stranger? Her smile lit up her face. At least that was what Jared was thinking. He couldn't help admiring her. 

“It means a fairy queen,” Tania told him. Jared smiled.

“You are a dream that's for sure.” Jared told her. Tania smiled and looked at him. For a brief moment there, they stared at each other. Each could feel the chemistry in the air. But no one was willing to make the first move. Tania looked away first. To break the ice, Jared spoke.

“Can I give you a ride?” he asked her. Tania thought the name to be symbolic. I would love a ride that's for sure, she thought to herself.

“No, I'm good. I want to take a walk first. Not ready to get into a vehicle yet.” she answered.

“I will take a walk with you,” Jared answered. Tania admitted that she could use the company.

“Okay” she answered. They began walking. 

“So, where were you going btw?” Jared asked her.

“To the city,” Tania answered. Jared laughed beside himself. Tania looked at him and wondered what was so funny. Jared got the que immediately.

“I mean, we are all going to the city,” Jared told her. Tania now got what was so funny. 

“Where i’m from, i don't go to the city often,” she told him.

“Where are you from?” Jared asked. 

“I cannot tell you that. What if you are a serial killer? ``Tania answered. Jared laughed. Tania thought his laugh to be infectious and she joined him soon. They laughed away together.

“So, what brings you to the city?” Jared asked. 

“It's complicated,” Tania answered.

“I breathe complicated. Try me ``Tania thought to give it a shot. Maybe he might help her. Maybe he knew someone. He looked like a guy who knew how to take care of himself. That was obvious from his car and his manner of dressing. 

“Okay. There is this company that wants to take our land away. Family land. They say that it's government land. But I know that is bullshit. They want our land because it is in a strategic position. It will help their business. I’m heading to the city to see if I can find a lawyer. Someone who will help us keep our land. That land is my life. I don't know what I’m going to do if they take it away.`` Tania cried beside herself. Jared felt touched. It hurt him to see her cry. He hugged her instantaneously. It's like his body made the decision by itself. Tania welcomed the embrace. It made her feel relieved and light. She felt immediately at home in his embrace. After a while, she collected herself and left the embrace.

“I told you it was complicated,'' Tania said to ease the tension.

“What is the name of the company?” Jared asked. Tania was surprised.

“The Journey” Tania answered. “It's a company in the hospitality industry. They want to build a resort where our land is located” Jared couldn't believe his luck. He finally had a way to get back at the firm. But first, he needed to know more about the land. He had heard the news. The firm had no idea what was coming for them

“This might come as a shock to you, but I am a lawyer. And a darn good one too. The best, ``Tania laughed.

“What?” Jared asked

“You look self-centered for a lawyer” Tania answered

“All lawyers are self-centered. It's what makes a good lawyer.” Jared told her.'' I could help you with your case if you don't mind. Of course, you will need to tell me everything” Jared told her.

“ everything?” Tania asked

“Yes,” Jared smiled. They both smiled and it dawned on both of them, the day was turning out to be a great day.  

October 07, 2021 19:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.