An Unexpected Correspondence

Written in response to: Write a story about a pair of pen pals.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Friendship

Ronnie shuffled through the stack of mail on his kitchen table, tossing most of it straight into the trash. As a retired accountant, he had ample free time now, which he enjoyed spending on mundane tasks like sorting through junk mail. 

One piece of mail, in particular, caught his eye - his name and address were handwritten in a dignified but shaky cursive, not printed labels. He slid his finger under the seal, assuming it was a sales solicitation made to look personal. But as he unfolded the paper, his eyes widened in surprise.

"Dear Ronnie,

I hope this letter finds you well. It's been ages, hasn't it? Do you remember your old pen pal, Michael? It's been a spell for sure!"

Ronnie sank into a recliner, nostalgia washing over him. Michael had been his pen pal back in the 80s when they were both about 12 years of age. A Saturday morning television program always advertised pen pals at the end credits, which is how they became paired to exchange letters about their lives. 

For three years, Ronnie had eagerly awaited Michael's thoughtful letters, filled with vivid details of life on his family's ranch in Merced, California. He played junior high football and shared his photo in uniform, which Ronnie kept all these years in a shoe box.

Ronnie would regale Michael with his own tales of adventures in the suburbs of La Porte, Texas. They had shared their boyhood dreams - Michael wanted to be a cowboy while Ronnie hoped to become an astronaut and explore the stars. Ronnie shared a photo in return of him in his baseball uniform.

But as the tide of adolescence arrived, the letters eventually trickled to a stop until they ceased altogether. Ronnie had often wondered whatever became of Michael over the years. And now here was a letter from him decades later, out of the clear blue sky.

Ronnie continued reading the graceful script. Michael shared that he had taken over the family ranch after his father passed away prematurely when he was still in his 30s. He married his high school sweetheart and they had two children. The ranch kept him busy but he enjoyed the lifestyle. He talked about how the economy was rough on that line of work but he wouldn't trade it for the world since it was his life passion.

Michael closed the letter by saying he would love to catch up if Ronnie was amenable. He included his phone number and mentioned he would understand if Ronnie did not remember him after all this time.

Ronnie shook his head with a wry smile. As if he could forget his first pen pal, the boy who had opened his 12-year-old eyes to a world beyond Texas. He picked up his landline phone, curiosity propelling him.

After two rings, a gruff voice answered. "Yello?"

"Michael? It's Ronnie, your childhood pen pal."

"Ronnie!" Michael exclaimed, a smile in his voice. "Well, aren't you a voice for sore ears? I confess I'm surprised to hear from you so soon." 

They exchanged cordial small talk, filling each other in on the past 30-odd years. Ronnie shared that he was divorced with two grown daughters, having split from his college girlfriend after 25 years of marriage. He had spent his career as an accountant before retiring last year.  

Michael recalled highlights from their old letters, chuckling at the naivety of their boyhood ambitions. "You wanted to be an astronaut? How did that go, orbiting among the stars?"

Ronnie laughed self-consciously. "Not too well, turns out I get motion sickness pretty easily."

Their conversation meandered, two old friends slipping into an easy camaraderie. But at times, Ronnie noticed Michael hesitate as if wanting to share something but thinking better of it. He seemed to steer the discussion away from himself and back to reminiscing about the past. 

Ronnie picked up on this tendency, though he couldn't pinpoint why. Michael had always been forthright in his letters as kids. Still, Ronnie didn't feel right prying further, so he let it go.

After nearly an hour, Michael reluctantly said he needed to go attend to ranch chores before dinner. 

"This has been a really fine chat, Ronnie. Made me realize how much I miss having a pen pal to correspond with."  

"Well, we're back in touch now. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here," Ronnie offered sincerely.

They made loose plans for Ronnie to visit California so the two could catch up in person after all these years apart. As Ronnie hung up the phone, he marveled at the unexpected twist of fate. After nearly four decades, their childhood correspondence had come full circle.

Weeks passed with no further letters. Ronnie rationalized Michael was simply busy with the demands of ranch life. But an unsettled feeling nagged him. He wished Michael had felt able to open up about whatever was weighing on him.

Then one evening, a letter bearing the California postmark arrived. With growing unease, Ronnie noted it was not in Michael's script. The letter informed him regretfully that Michael had passed away unexpectedly from heart failure.  

Ronnie sank into the recliner, deciphering the sympathy note through a haze of disbelief. Michael was gone? But they had just reconnected. 

The letter was from Michael's daughter, explaining that the call and prior letter must have been scheduled before his passing. Michael had guarded his declining health from even his family.

Ronnie set down the letter with unsteady hands. Fate had tantalizingly allowed them to rediscover their bond, only to cruelly cleave it asunder once again. He felt gutted by the loss of a forgotten friend, found and lost again within a matter of weeks.

Yet Ronnie also felt profound gratitude for the brief window of reconnection. Michael's reminiscing letter now seemed poignant - the last echoes of a dying man reaching out across the years to his first friend.

Ronnie folded up the letter from Michael's daughter and placed it in his file cabinet with bittersweet reverence. Though their revived friendship had been fleeting, he would forever cherish its sincerity.  

Some bonds defy the erosion of time and distance. Ronnie understood now that certain people, however briefly in our lives, imprint upon us indelibly. With wistful nostalgia, he bid a silent farewell to the boy from the ranch who had awakened in him the first wonder of friendship.

August 18, 2023 18:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.