0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

Karen had a doctorate in psychology and was part of a team of citizens who helped people to overcome problems. She was a professor in the university and had a clinic at home to attend to those in need of psychological counselling. Karen was nearing 45 and she had remained a spinster. She lived in an exclusive suburb in the house left to her by her parents who were no more. She was tall, fair, with a pleasant smiling face and always had her greying hair in a bun. That Sunday morning,  she was in her house coat seated in a chair facing the garden. It was a day when she would keep away from her books. She had finished breakfast and sat with the Sunday papers which she had also finished reading. She removed her shell frame glasses and was gazing at the flowers in the garden. The gardener had done a good job she thought. Now she saw movement outside her gate and watched. A woman was at the gate obviously wanting to enter. The sentry was missing and so Karen herself walked to the gate to enquire.

The woman said “My name is Rathi. I’ve come to see Professor Karen for help.”

Karen looked at the woman who was dressed in the traditional salwar ensemble and carrying a cloth bag. She looked very young and her beauty was eye catching. Karen said “I’m Karen. Are you seeking for money?”

“No,no.”

“In that case come in.”

Rathi saluted Karen with folded palms and followed her. Karen went and sat in her chair and signed to Rathi to sit opposite, Karen said “Now tell me the reason for your coming to me.”

Rathi seated herself on the edge of the chair and said “I was told by a police officer that you help people like me. “ She stopped and then said “I lack education. However I’ve written down what all I’ve to say as there could be embarrassment while narrating. I’ll leave the matter with you. I’ll come again next Sunday and talk to you.”

Rathi gave a brown coloured envelope and got up.

Karen said “Have you given details of how I could contact you and so on?”

“I’ve given all details in that document. I’ll come again next Sunday at this hour.”

Karen watched Rathi walking away gracefully. She was somehow favourably impressed with the woman and decided to help her. She wondered if it were a case of a marriage gone wrong. She drew on her reading glasses and pulling out papers from the brown envelope started reading:

‘My name is not Rathi. That was the name given to me by others which signifies beautiful woman. I am 22 years old and am presently lodged in the women’s rescue home whose address is given at the end of this document. I was only 14 and had just reached adolescence when my parents abandoned me. Father went to jail and mother was untraceable. I stayed with my aunt who was unwilling to take care of me and wanted me out of her place. I met army jawan Lopen who promised to take care of me. It was with him that I lost my virginity. I didn’t know Lopen’s character well. He introduced me to his colleagues who were all only interested in enjoying me. I was sold by them to a madam who feigned to be holy and took charge of me. I became one of her girls and was taken to live in a house just outside the city. Now the madam started making money out of me by letting various men enjoy me. One good thing about her: She was very concerned about the health of the girls and subjected them to medical examinations every alternate week.

Madam was a very competent lady. She knew people in the police and among politicos and would only send me to those whom she favoured or wanted to please. Swami the head of a Hindu religious mission - a sworn bachelor -was close to her and I would be taken to him with her. She would camp there with devotees and pilgrims while the pontiff would enjoy with me. I became his favourite follower! An important political bigwig had seen me and desired to be with me. Swami allowed the politico to go to bed with me.

Once Swami had addressed a conference and after that there was a private meeting of bigwigs. Several girls had been let in for that event and after liquor was served there was an orgy. Many girls either partially covered or wearing no clothes moved closely with the members. In all such gatherings there are political spies. One such reported the orgy to Mrs.Shanker who was the minister looking after welfare of women and children. Shanker was a bigwig and had been present in the orgy. In fact for evidence fotos were shown to her. She saw how the nude man on fours with a collar round his neck impersonating a cow was held by a nude girl while another was attempting to milk the cow. She at once threw out Shanker and vowed to bring every person in the orgy to justice. Swami managed to hide me while he was exposed and publicly proved to be a fraud. Mrs.Shanker using her influence got police to take action. The picture of a bovine was used by the media as the euphemism for the orgy. I have been lucky so far. I don’t know what to do. My education is marginal. I know no trade say even weaving a bamboo basket. I was told I could wheel vegetables in a cart to make a living. That would be a life of poverty as I have been living very well all along.

I tried contacting some of the politicos who had enjoyed me but they all excused themselves saying that I was only seeking to blackmail them. I am seeking to live a normal life with food to eat and with a shelter over my head. I am embarrassed to write all this to you, but I have done it with the hope that my exploitation will be apparent and that I could get some kind of employment for me to stay alive I am sorry for all the wrongs I have committed without thought or to please those who sought to exploit me.’

Karen found the writing in the vernacular was coarse. No doubt she had made a strong case for herself but who would want an uneducated woman except as a flower or vegetable seller and so on. Perhaps she could be used as a sales woman, No! She had no qualification. Perhaps if she had culinary skills she could join as a cook somewhere. But she doesn’t want low pay! Karen thought she would meet her again the following Sunday and discuss further. Only now Karen could understand the symbol of the cow in reporting the scam!

The following Sunday, Rathi came as she had said and was seated opposite Karen.

Rathi said “Madam, I had great difficulty writing the matter I gave you, as my education level is low. I guessed you would’ve taken it as an affront if I had spoken all that to you.”

Karen asked “Who took the foto of the ‘cow’?”

“I don’t know. Could be someone inimical to Shanker as he is the cow. But police have suppressed that fact from the public.” She paused and said “You know what I am. An illiterate floozie. I need help to go under and make a living without fear of exposure.”

Karen said “Things like what you’ve described keep happening. People like you get exploited. Give me time. I’ll try to find a suitable placement for you. Continue in that female shelter for now.”

Karen discussed about a position for Rathi. Suggestions came that she could be trained as a family planning worker. That a fruit stall could be set up for her. That she could be sent for farm work. Then came an offer which was a real boon: Retired army jawan Raikar was willing to take her into his service provided she would be dedicated to his service. He had won some army award no doubt but he had seen action in which his right arm had been shot off and he could only partially use his left palm.

Karen took Rathi with her and met Raikar. Raikar had income from his farmland and together with his pension could afford a wife. With his infirmity none had come forward to marry him. Raikar said “I’ve a Tibetan woman Pema who cooks for me and also helps me to look after myself.”

Karen told herself “That would be no problem. With her experience Rathi would eliminate Pema and perhaps marry him.”

Rathi thanked Karen for her help. That happened about 18 months ago. Karen was happy to be told that Raikar had married Rathi who had sacked Pema!

END

NOTE: I have borrowed the ‘cow’ from the book UNDER THE HILL by Aubrey Beardsley!

January 03, 2021 15:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.