36 comments

Fiction Romance Contemporary

Oaks shed many an acorn when heavy rains are on the horizon. Edward knew this and should have seen the signs with this particular oak late last fall. Torrential rains indeed came in the early spring, ending a decade-long drought. The storms created havoc with fallen branches and mudslides across the valley. He thought his oak would weather the storm, with its deep roots and strong trunk. His late wife Susan had even helped him take great care of maintaining its canopy. Once it got a taste of bountiful water though, it did not care to stop drinking until it burst.

Now torn asunder at his feet, Edward could not help mourning the loss of their majestic tree and all the memories it held. Upon closer inspection, he realized there was decay within the marrow of it all. Termite tunnels and sickness were its ultimate demise and he felt like an inept arborist for not catching these before it was too late. Grief had blinded him he supposed and all he could think of now was how sad Susan would be too if she were still here with him. The lack of shared sorrow took his loneliness to an abysmal low and his body shuddered with new waves of weeping as he knelt amid the ruin of their last labor of love.

Several months had passed before Edward decided to do anything with the oak’s corpse. He half-thought to leave it as is but grew weary of the constant reminder out his front window. As he was contemplating with some bitter, black coffee one morning, a knock came at his door. It was his neighbor, Faith, who had come to inquire about turning it into firewood.

“I’m sure it’s dried out by now Eddie and it has been quite depressing seeing you do nothin’ about it.”

“What business is that of yours Faith? Maybe I want the decay to nourish the soil. You know I’m an arborist right?”

“Oh, I don’t buy that! I watched you and Susan nurture it from a sapling all those years. As the arborist, I expected you to at least try to replace it. You know, honor her memory or somethin’.”

Edward felt his ears get hot and almost went on a tirade, but then noticed the concern in Faith’s demeanor. He decided to take a deep breath instead, close his eyes, and pinch the bridge of his nose.

“I guess I never thought of it that way. Susan didn’t pass all that long ago and our tree dyin’ was bitter salt in the wound.”

“I’m so sorry Eddie. I can’t imagine how that must have felt. How about we clean it up together, that way you don’t have to face it alone?”

“I appreciate the gesture, but this is something I need to do on my own. Give me a couple of days and I’ll bring a cord over to your place. They’re saying it’ll be another wet winter, even worse than the last.”

“Alright, I understand. Thanks for not blowin’ up on me. You looked tempted there for a second.” Faith smirked and cocked an eyebrow.

Edward’s cheeks turned red and he palmed the nape of his neck. “Sure, no problem. Somethin’ I’ve been tryin’ to work on.”

“I’ll be seein’ you soon Eddie. Don’t forget!”

Faith turned without another word and strode back to her side of the fence. Edward watched her go inside, then turned his attention to the dead tree. A lump grew in his throat as he walked to the shed to grab his tools.

\\\

It took the better part of a week for Edward to complete the work, but he got it done roots and all. The tough labor was good for both his mind and body. Some of his heart found healing in the process too when he thought about it one day. Cancer is what took his dear Susan from him, and in a way, their tree went much the same. He felt helpless while she wasted away in front of him, unable to do much more than try to keep her comfortable. Now, he felt he had done some good in the end and found a bit of closure he did not know he needed.

Between all the branches, roots, and trunk, Edward made a couple of winter’s worth of firewood. He filled up the woodshed and then some while still having a few cords left over for Faith. After raking up the leaves and other debris, he filled in the large hole the stump had left in the ground. Squirrels had gathered a majority of the acorns and most of the rest were rotten through. Still, he gathered a handful of the healthiest-looking ones and buried them as a toast to Susan. She may not be here any longer to help him grow a new oak, but the thought of renewal was a salve to his hurting soul. Even if he did not live long enough to see it to maturity, he smiled knowing someone would come to enjoy its shade.

Faith stood at her kitchen window and watched Edward perform the ceremony of sorts. She felt a tug at her heartstrings and wished there was something she could do to help. When she noticed him tying some twine around a couple of bundles of wood, she put a pot of milk on the stove. A chill had settled in the valley once again, so some hot chocolate was necessary for hospitality. She heard a boot kick at the door as she reached for the Swiss Miss.

“Come on in!”

The sound of wood being set down on concrete reminded her of horseshoes clomping. Edward struggled with the door at first before he shouldered his way in and almost stumbled to the floor. The door liked to stick in the frame with the house settling over the years. Several large earthquakes in its lifetime sure did not help.

“I’ve got your firewood here Faith. Where would you like me to set these down?”

“The fireplace is in this room here on the right of the entryway.” Faith said as she walked in from the kitchen on the left and led the way with a mug in each hand.

“Oh, I wasn’t plannin’ on stayin’ ma’am, but I’ll still take my boots off to keep your carpet clean. Give me a quick second.”

“Nonsense Eddie! You’ve been workin’ hard out there and were so kind to bring over two bundles when I only asked for one. The least I could do is help you warm up a bit with some cocoa.”

“Alright, if you say so. Cocoa does sound nice with the bite in the air out there.”

Edward finished taking off his boots and then gathered the firewood by the twine. A couple of logs threatened to fall loose so he hoisted them in his arms instead. Faith was waiting for him on a loveseat beneath the front window with its curtains drawn. He set the wood down next to the fireplace, then took the matching chair with a pink floral pattern.

“Oops! It appears I forgot the marshmallows. I’ll be back in a jiffy.”

Faith got up before Edward could protest, so he took to untying and piling the wood in a nice stack. He kept a few logs set aside in case Faith wanted a fire right away. She had returned without him hearing her and now his mug looked more like a holiday frappuccino.

Edward raised his eyebrows and chuckled, “Such a generous helping there Faith.”

“One can never have too many marshmallows, I say. Besides, you need to get some meat back on those old bones. You been takin’ care of yourself?”

“I’m doin’ fine, all things considered. Sure, most of my meals start frozen these days or I order a pizza here and there. What’s a guy to do when his cooking is worthless in comparison to what he’d grown used to?”

“It seems a bit more than that Eddie. I wouldn’t mind bringing over some meals every once in a while if that helps. It would also be a good opportunity to pick up baking again. I had to stop when I was the only one eatin’ my brownies.”

“Alright, ya got me. For a while there, I couldn’t eat much at all. Call it a grief diet if you want, but I’m comin’ around. And really, there’s no reason for you to go out of your way like that for me.”

“It’s no problem at all. I would love to do it! This spinster has to pass her days somehow, ya know?”

“If you say so, ma’am.” A rather large, fluffy cat jumped into Edward’s lap without warning causing him to spill his drink on the floor. “Whoa! Hello there big fella!”

“Darn it, Smokey! Don’t you know it’s rude to jump up on guests? Come here!” Faith tried to grab the ragdoll cat from Edward’s lap, but it went limp on her as they tend to do. It reminded Edward of one of Dali’s clocks and he could not keep from laughing.

“Aw, he’s alright. I’ll let him sit and warm me up for a bit. Sorry about your carpet though.”

Faith flushed with embarrassment and ran back to the kitchen to grab some cleaning supplies. When she returned, Smokey had already fallen fast asleep in Edward’s lap and she swore she saw a smile on Edward’s face. She had not seen him happy in a long time, so she gave him a moment.

“Oh my, I was so flustered I forgot to grab you some more cocoa. I’ll be right back.”

“No, that’s okay. I should be goin’ soon anyway. You want me to set up a fire before I go?”

“Why, sure. A fire sounds nice while I clean up, thank you.”

“It’s no problem. Now, oak wood is usually slow-burning, but this specific tree became riddled with termite holes. I gathered the least affected logs I could, but you should know it will burn a bit faster and hotter than usual. Hope that’s okay.”

“That’s fine Eddie. Free wood is free wood. I appreciate you doin’ this for me. You’re welcome back over any time.”

“I may have to take you up on that offer ma’am. Seems Smokey here likes me and I wouldn’t mind seeing him again. Your front door could use some fixin’ too if you don’t mind me helpin’.”

“Please, call me Faith. We’re near the same age and ma’am makes me sound old. I mean, I am old, but still. As far as fixin’ the door goes, I would love some help with it. I don’t have the skills or strength to do it on my own and it’s gotten worse since the rains last winter.”

“That settles it then. I’ll come on by tomorrow and take a look. You can get me my replacement cocoa then.” Edward winked at her, then put on his boots while she finished cleaning up.

\\\

Fixing the front door proved to be more involved than anticipated. It took Edward more than a week and he had to take several trips to the hardware store before it was set right again. Each day Faith had provided him with a fresh meal and as much cocoa as his stomach could handle. Smokey did his best to be a distraction, even when Faith tried to hide him away in the spare bedroom while he worked.

Edward started to feel like he would miss this new routine with her, which scared him more than he cared to admit. It had been a couple of years now since Susan had passed, but he never once considered moving on as part of his journey. Losing a lifelong partner is tough on the human heart. Many times it is simpler to have that part remain dormant. The walls Edward put up inside were older than Susan’s passing due to bracing for the inevitable. As he looks back on it now, keeping back a part of himself from Susan towards the end is one of his biggest regrets. All in a fruitless and selfish effort to save him from deeper pain.

While he walked back to his house one evening, he stopped at the pile of dirt where acorns lay hibernating. He stood there a moment to talk with Susan about his mixed feelings. She had always told him if she were to go first she would want him to find love again, but it still did not feel right. As he searched the buried parts of his heart though, Susan seemed to be echoing similar sentiments. It was a faint whisper, a nudge of peace like she was making some room in the secret place she occupied for so long. There was warmth despite the chill surrounding him, a gentle waking which brought tears to his eyes and watered the earth at his feet. Though he was still terrified, it was enough for him to make up his mind to move forward.

The next day, Edward finished the work on the door early even though he took his time with the finishing touches. He had not been this nervous in a long time, and it took all his willpower to keep from shaking all over. Smokey came up to him and nuzzled his ankles, so he leaned down to give him some belly rubs and it helped calm him.

“Hey, Faith?”

“Yes, Eddie?” she called from the kitchen.

“The door’s all done now.”

“Wonderful! It is too bad though. I’ve grown used to having you around here.”

“Yeah, I’ve grown to like it too. Um, are there any more projects I can help you with? Or, I could show you some things about caring for trees at my place?” Edward had to shove his hands in his pockets to keep the sweat from dripping on the floor.

Faith took notice of his bashfulness and her insides stirred. “Hmm. I’m sure I could think of a whole list of things to keep you comin’ around and I would love to learn from the expert arborist.”

Edward blushed and let out a nervous laugh, “You aren’t going to let that one go, will ya?”

“Nah, I’ll be using it for a while to keep you humble.” She winked at him this time.

“So, it’s a date then?”

“I reckon it is.”

\\\

Days passed like hours as Edward and Faith tackled project after project together. It did not feel like work to them as they grew more comfortable with each other. Their time became filled with flirtatious banter which turned to evenings of long conversations by the fire. It was not long before Edward snuggled up to Faith on her loveseat. Even Smokey kept cozy in their laps while purring away.

Edward took time getting comfortable inviting Faith over into his home though. All the memories with Susan still lingered within and he was hesitant to change things up. Faith turned out to be a good help around the yard and a quick learner with a natural green thumb. It excited Edward to have a shared interest with someone again, but they did not tend to the oak together for a while. There was not much they could do anyway other than an occasional watering.

Faith felt honored when Edward finally asked her to check on the tree with him to assess its progress. She knew it was a tender moment and took his hand while he took his time. To the joy of them both, much like their love had begun to blossom, a small sapling had risen from the sodden earth.

December 07, 2023 23:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Carol Martin
01:49 Dec 11, 2023

I enjoyed your story. There were no exaggerations and no weirdness. It was a nice down-to-earth story, (no pun intended).

Reply

J. D. Lair
05:42 Dec 11, 2023

Thank you, Carol! Puns are okay with me haha. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:52 Dec 09, 2023

Nice to see you back writing again and you have a gentle flare for romance.

Reply

J. D. Lair
23:44 Dec 09, 2023

Thank you Mary. It's good to be back. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
18:24 Dec 08, 2023

Got to hand it to you, the following passage gorgeously captures grief and the long process it takes to move on: " As he searched the buried parts of his heart though, Susan seemed to be echoing similar sentiments. It was a faint whisper, a nudge of peace like she was making some room in the secret place she occupied for so long. There was warmth despite the chill surrounding him, a gentle waking which brought tears to his eyes and watered the earth at his feet." A kind and gentle story all around, with an outcome we anticipate but are led ...

Reply

J. D. Lair
21:23 Dec 08, 2023

Thank you so much for reading and for the thoughtful comment Laurel. It means a lot. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aidan Romo
22:29 Jan 02, 2024

While not my usual go to genre, you tackled this romance story with gentle sweetness that doesn't feel forced. Would've tweaked some lines of dialogue here and there, but overall a well constructed tale about the simple, yet subtly complex nature of human affections.

Reply

J. D. Lair
23:57 Jan 02, 2024

Thanks Aidan, I appreciate you taking the time to read a story your normally wouldn’t. Means a lot! Dialogue is something I’m still sharpening for sure, so if you have any pointers, feel free to share. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:04 Dec 17, 2023

Wow JD this is stunning writing. This- . The lack of shared sorrow took his loneliness to an abysmal low and his body shuddered with new waves of weeping as he knelt amid the ruin of their last labor of love. -is pure poetry. What a beautiful lovely tale of sorrow and moving on. Nearly brought a tear to my eye. Simply wonderful. This should have been shortlisted for sure I really don't get the judging criteria sometimes.

Reply

J. D. Lair
16:55 Dec 17, 2023

Thank you so much, Derrick! It's good to see you're still around too. I took an extended hiatus due to a busy season in my life, but it was good to get back to writing. I am proud of this one and the line you pointed out specifically. It was a bit therapeutic too, so I'm glad to see it’s been taken so well. It surprised me not to be considered a contender too, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Just wasn't the initial judge’s cup of tea I guess. I do feel like I improve my writing every time and am always learning, so something's boun...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Van Winkle
18:22 Dec 14, 2023

I enjoyed the story, JD... it pulled a few sentimental drops from my eyes... nice work. I don't see a 'like' button, so I don't know how to add a like to your total, but it's there, regardless.

Reply

J. D. Lair
19:45 Dec 14, 2023

Thank you John! I'm happy to know the story stirred some emotions. I have struggled in that area before (outside of the horror genre), so it's nice to see I can write something touching too. It looks like you ended up finding the ‘like’ button after all, so thanks again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:49 Dec 14, 2023

There’s something peaceful in this story. The MC doesn’t just suddenly recover from his grief which is deep-rooted (no pun intended either) but by the end of it, there’s a feeling of quiet hope that he has started to gently move forward and build a new life. A satisfying story with a hopeful ending.

Reply

J. D. Lair
19:41 Dec 14, 2023

Thank you, as always, for taking the time to read and leave such a thoughtful comment Helen. :) I have been away from here for a while, so it's nice to see another familiar face continuing to appreciate my stories. I saw you posted a story for this next contest already, so I'll head over and take a look soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
02:57 Dec 14, 2023

J.D. I just read The Arborist. It seems you have some familiarity with losing a loved one. You make insightful points about Edward’s feelings which reveal an authentic depth of understanding. Sweet story about sweet people. You prove that not all short stories must be high drama to be entertaining. Very nicely written.

Reply

J. D. Lair
03:57 Dec 14, 2023

Thank you for reading John and for such a kind review! Yes, I almost labeled this creative nonfiction, but felt it was more fiction than not in the end. It's loosely based on my failed first marriage and finding love again years later with a childhood sweetheart of mine. Our sapling is our two wonderful twins. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:15 Dec 13, 2023

This is such a sweet story. Gentle, beautiful, slowly growing and blossoming - not fair, you've already taken the right metaphor for this. :) It was nice to see how the story (and Edward) evolved. It had a very cozy, by-the-fire feeling. My favourite line was the last one. For some reason I want to describe it with the word 'sparkly'. That can't be right... Friendly love is one of the best things for grief, even better if it's what she wanted. And Nature would've wanted it too, because who else was going to plant her children if Edward st...

Reply

J. D. Lair
19:35 Dec 13, 2023

Sparkly is a great compliment! Lol It warms my heart to hear how much you enjoyed my story. Thank you so much for reading and leaving such a lovely comment. :) I have your story open in an alternate tab and will get to it soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:20 Dec 13, 2023

Heartwarming story. I like how the oak sprouted just at the beginning of their love for each other for that is very symbolic.

Reply

J. D. Lair
00:34 Dec 13, 2023

Thank you Phyllis! I'm glad you enjoyed the story and appreciate you taking the time to comment. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
03:00 Dec 12, 2023

Such a sweet story. Likable characters, smooth writing, and a nice sense of closure. I appreciated the oak tree's rot reflecting the cancer that took Susan--those little details really add to the depth of a story. One of my favorite lines: "The sound of wood being set down on concrete reminded her of horseshoes clomping." I absolutely love this sound and you nailed the description. I grew up with a wood-burning stove for winter heat so the sound of my dad and brothers dumping wood on the porch was always followed by a sense of security and ...

Reply

J. D. Lair
00:28 Dec 13, 2023

Thank you so much Aeris! It’s funny to me that line in particular stuck out to you, but the reasoning behind it makes sense. :) it was one of those lines thrown in during the final draft, so I'm glad it had a good effect on someone haha. I've always appreciated a fireplace or a cabin’s stove myself. These days, I'm happy it there's a campfire at least. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
02:27 Dec 11, 2023

Beautiful story, with such likable characters. Edward was finding his way through grief, and eventually found closure with a little faith. Er, Faith. :) It wasn’t forced for either of them, and you sensed them both testing the waters as they went. This made it very natural. The comparison of the dying oak and Susan’s cancer resonated. The oak had given signs, but he missed them. Did he miss her signs, too? Maybe there’s an underlying guilt there to be resolved? I loved the ending and how they gently move forward in their relationship, one...

Reply

J. D. Lair
06:04 Dec 11, 2023

Wow Nina, thank you for such kind and thoughtful comments! Jumping back into the fold too quickly can do more damage than good, so I wanted to portray a more cautious approach to opening up again. I'm glad to see that showed through. Some signs were missed before it was too late for Susan as well, sadly. There is that extra burden Edward carries because of it that I touched on slightly, but it's safe to say he will find a way to forgive himself and heal. Faith, and even Smokey, will help. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tara Carey
18:58 Dec 10, 2023

That’s a sweet story. Easy to read. Nice flow and pacing. Good and varied sentence structure. Thanks for sharing with us!

Reply

J. D. Lair
20:48 Dec 10, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and leave such a kind comment Tara. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
02:10 Dec 10, 2023

Aw I love stories where people can cope with their grief and continue to live. It gives me hope. I've never experienced grief, but I think stories like these will give me something to latch onto Also maybe I'm kind of a bitch, but anytime the widower finds love again with someone who KNEW their dead spouse, it gives me pause.... Im sure it happens all the time though LOL Im still happy for the new couple! My mind just gives a bit of side eye to the circumstances sometimes haha Thank you for sharing!

Reply

J. D. Lair
02:19 Dec 10, 2023

Haha, I'm sure it happens more than you'd expect. There's comfort in the familiar. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. I’m glad it's a story that offers some hope. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
22:53 Dec 09, 2023

This was really beautiful JD. The connection between the tree's life/death and Susan's (also, their love) was really profound. Plant life has always been a favorite symbol of mine because they are such powerful reminders of the circle of life and how new growth is will always be possible with enough time and care. Very touching story, thanks so much for sharing!

Reply

J. D. Lair
23:47 Dec 09, 2023

I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment AnneMarie. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. :) Nature has many lessons to teach us, if we choose to listen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
17:13 Dec 09, 2023

I also loved this line, “a faint whisper, a nudge of peace like she was making some room in the secret place she occupied for so long. There was warmth despite the chill surrounding him, a gentle waking which brought tears to his eyes and watered the earth at his feet.” Anybody who can write that must have a tender soul. Enjoyable read, set my day off on the right foot, and yes, the symbolism of the oak shown through, but not too heavy handed.

Reply

J. D. Lair
17:51 Dec 09, 2023

I appreciate you taking the time to read and leave such a thoughtful comment Jack. I’m happy to hear you think I have a tender soul. Some of my stories here have not showcased that side of me, but I thought I would switch it up with this one since my wife has asked me to write a romance for a while. Lol. It’s nice to see it seems to be working out so far. Thanks again, it means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:36 Dec 09, 2023

Enjoyed this story. Lovely and natural the way these two got together. Nurturing each other and their surroundings. I've been too busy to write lately so no story last time. I've loved the vastly different stories to this prompt. Well done with this one.

Reply

J. D. Lair
15:17 Dec 09, 2023

Thank you so much for reading and commenting Kaitlyn! I totally understand being too busy as this was my first story in months, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. :) I too have loved seeing the many different directions people have gone this week. Lots of good stories out there!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
23:12 Dec 08, 2023

I liked the symbolism of trees in this story. An old oak dies, riddled with disease like his wife who had recently passed. Then Edward had to deal with his grief, collecting and sorting it, just like he did with the relationship with his wife. Finally he was able to plan a new seed in the tilled earth and a new sapling was beginning to grow. Thanks!

Reply

J. D. Lair
03:50 Dec 09, 2023

I'm glad to hear the symbolism showed through. Thank you so much for reading and commenting Marty! Means a lot. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.