1 comment

Happy

The cold wind made me want to seek warmth from whatever harbor I could find. I pulled my jacket tighter around me and bowed my head against the wind as I hurried down the walkway.

           As I glanced up to make sure I was still heading the right way, I saw a wooden sign swinging wildly. I could only make out the word bar in its lettering. The thought of a warm beer and possibly some fries made me pause in my path.

           It’s not like I was going to be late if I stopped, I rationalized. After all, I was heading home after a long day, and besides, hadn’t I earned the right to stop and warm up.

           With my mind made up, I pushed my way into the bar and rubbed my hands together as a blast of warm air hit me in the face. I breathed out a sigh of relief, unwrapped my scarf, and unzipped my jacket.

           I didn’t really pay much attention to my surroundings as the only thought I had was a warm beer and fries. I pushed through the crowd to get to the bar. And settled myself on a stool as I continued to take off my winter layer.

           “Hey, ya. What can I get for you?” The young gentleman behind the bar asked me, flipping open a notepad. My eyes focused on him, and I sat there stunned for a second. He was attractive. Shaggy black hair, and brown eyes that flitted around the room while still appearing to focus on me. His shirt was stretched taunt over shoulders and arms that I really wanted to simply lean into.

           “I’m sorry, did you say something?” He asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

           “I’m sorry, I was distracted.”

           “I could tell, it’s okay.” He smirked. I could feel my cheeks heating up at being caught staring.

           “Can I get a beer, whatever you have on tap, and a plate of fries?”

           “The plate of fries I can most definitely get for you, however, we don’t have beer.” He scribbled something on the notepad and then looked back up at me.

           “Okay, can I get a glass of wine then?” The idea of a warm beer had been the only thing that got me in here, however, I would be just as happy with the wine.

           “Yeah, no, we don’t actually have alcohol here.”

           “I’m sorry, what kind of bar doesn’t serve alcohol?”

           The gentleman laughed and tucked the pencil behind his ear. “We are a dry bar. We serve nearly every other kind of beverage, I can get you a coffee or tea if you are looking for something warm. Or even hot chocolate or cider.”

           It was my turn to laugh and shake my head. “I guess a cider sounds nice. May I ask why you don’t serve alcohol?”

           “Sure, let me go put your order in and grab your cider first.”

           He wandered off and I took the chance to actually look around the place that I had stumbled into for warmth. It was a large room with plenty of space between the tables. There was a long row of booths along the far wall of windows. Each booth seemed designed for comfort as they looked softer than any booth I had ever sat in. I instantly wanted to go over and curl up in one.

           I continued to look around the space. Almost every wall except the one with the bar, had a fireplace with a roaring fire in each of them. This caused the space to be extremely warm. I could already feel my nose warming up. As my eyes adjusted to the bright light around the fireplaces, and the people, I noticed something else. The walls were lined with tall, dark brown, bookshelves. Each one stuffed full of books! My hands rubbed against my legs in excitement as I held myself back from running over and looking at every single book. I’ve been so lately, that I haven’t been able to read or even think about books.

           The clank of a glass distracted me from going over to the shelves and running my defrosting fingers over the spines. I turned back towards the bar to see a glass of water, a mug of cider, and a basket of fries in front of me.

           “Um… I don’t remember ordering water.” I popped a fry into my mouth and wrapped my hands around the mug.

           “Yeah, well, even cold, you can still become dehydrated.” He ran a hand through his hair. “I figured it didn’t hurt to grab a glass. Plus, water is free. “

           I hummed, “Well, thank you.” I took a sip of cider and then motioned at him. “So, you said you were going to explain why this place is alcohol-free.”

           He laughed, “You’re right, I did.” He grabbed another glass and filled it with water for himself. “So, many years ago, there was a university student who didn’t like going out partying. She was on the older side of her peers and just couldn’t get behind going out and drinking all the time. And even at the end of the day, everywhere she went to eat would have beer or something and thus would have to deal with drunk people.”

           I chuckled as I continued to eat. “Yeah, I get that. As much as I enjoy a beer every so often, I can see how annoying that would be.”

           “Yeah, yeah.” He nodded and took a sip of his water. “So, she bought this building and came up with the idea of a dry bar. As her business started to take off, she needed ways to draw more people in. Rumor is that she started with just one bookshelf, but people started leaving books as well. Nowadays this place operates as a library that is open all day and well into the night. People are free to take or leave books. The only thing you pay for is the drink and food.”

           “Oh, which reminds me, how much do I owe?" I dusted off my fingertips and reached inside my pocket for my wallet.

           “Don’t worry about it.” He chuckled, “First-time visitor, it’s on the house. All I ask is that you spread the story and let others know so that they come in.”

           “I think I can do that.” I nod and my eyes go back towards the bookshelves.

           “And that you read and leave a book.” He winked at me and walked away.

           This was the kind of place that I would definitely be returning to again, and again. 

January 20, 2024 03:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Josephine Damm
08:57 Jan 27, 2024

I would love to visit this bar!! Thanks Kate for a comforting read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.