0 comments

Crime Drama Suspense

Mary typed the note she had carefully planned.

Kara,                

David was everything to me. He wasn’t supposed to go first. We had so many plans for our future. This is probably a cowardly thing to do, but I just can’t go on alone.  You’ve been such a good friend. Guiding me through the worst of it; advising me on all the financial matters. I was surprised at how much was involved. I think you might have been too; except you and David had always talked about financial things I never understood. Maybe you advised him and that’s why there was so much. I’m sorry I can’t be stronger, but I know I miss him too much to go on alone. And now, this seems to be the only answer.

           Mary

She sent it to the printer and then carefully wiped down the laptop and all the keys. When the printer was finished, she wiped it down also. Using a dishtowel, she picked up the printed page and wiped it down, then folded it and put it on the desk. She glanced at her watch. She was right on time.

She had this all planned out. To the point, she had timed all her actions to the second.  It was only fitting she get her revenge. Kara had designs on David. They hid it well, but Mary could tell. She was even braced for it, but then David saved her the humiliation by dropping dead on his morning walk. Of course, Kara acted like she was so concerned about Mary but that was a lie. Mary knew Kara was hurting and she was glad. She deserved to hurt. But that wasn’t enough. Kara had to pay, and Mary had figured out a way to make that happen. Kara’s final years would not be pleasant.

Out in the kitchen, she put on the water to boil. While it was heating, she took the pill bottle and emptied it out onto a saucer. She then took a spoon and crushed them into a fine powder. She got out two cups, dumped the crushed pills into the one closest to her. Again, using the dishtowel, she wiped the pill bottle, and then placed it on top of the kitchen garbage. She carefully washed off the saucer and spoon, dried them, and put them away. She put the dishtowel in the washing machine with the items already in there and turned it on.

The teakettle whistled and she looked at her watch. Perfect! Kara would be here in 10 minutes. The ever punctual, ever helpful Kara, who had tried to steal her David, well this would take care of her. Of course, at first, Mary had thought she would kill Kara, but then there are no really perfect murders and it is so easy to make a mistake. Mary didn’t want to go to jail, but she did want revenge. It had taken her several months to plan this. She’d made the date with Kara last week. She had been very specific about the time with Kara. That was key to this whole thing.

She poured the tea into the two cups; let them sit for a few minutes, stirring the one with the pills carefully. Satisfied, she took the spoon and the extra cup to the sink, rinsed them, and carefully wiped the outside of the cup and the spoon, she smiled.

“Ok, Kara, my friend. This will pay you back for sure.”

Mary knew the police would check things out and would soon see the attempt on her life was a careful plan by Kara. Yes, Kara the ever-present, ever helpful best friend who just happened to have access to Mary’s home. Who just happened to have been a close, maybe too close a friend of David, Mary’s husband. And after the death of her husband Mary had made Kara the beneficiary of her will. Which would be a very nice financial gain. More than enough to justify this final step.

Mary sat at the table and sipped the tea while she went over it all in her mind again. The tea could have used some honey, but she didn’t want to take the time, she was cutting it pretty close as it was. She managed to gulp down the rest of the tea. She looked at her watch and smiled. Kara should be pulling into the driveway any minute. She’d come in, find Mary on the floor and call 911. They’d get Mary to the hospital in time to pump her stomach and then…oh yes, and then Kara would be blamed for the attempt on Mary’s life and maybe even David’s death. Oh, it was so perfect!

Mary felt the beginnings of the pills taking effect and lay down on the floor.  She didn’t want to fall off the chair. That might hurt. In fact, she made a point of straightening her clothes. She hoped Kara was stupid enough to touch her. Maybe even attempt CPR. She shuddered for a moment at that thought. Kara’s mouth on hers. Well, Kara probably wouldn’t try that, she’d just make the call and then stand and wring her hands. Or maybe she’d pick up Mary’s cup and put it in the sink. Wouldn’t that put the frosting on the cake! Kara did tend to overstep at times. More than once she had taken it upon herself to tidy things away without asking. Mary should have maybe tipped her cup on its side and spilled a little tea on the table. Kara would have jumped on that for sure. Oh well, she was too relaxed right now to get up and do anything.

 She let herself smile once more and then heard the phone ring. She couldn’t get up, but she heard the answering machine pick up and the message being left.

“Mary, it’s Kara. I’m sorry, I’m going to be late, well, really late. I had a bit of a fender bender and the police are here. I guess it’s going to take a bit, but I’ll get there when I can.”

January 09, 2022 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.