Love life of my mom

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Romance Happy

Derek - Mom, this is serious. Did you really got the life partner you always wanted.

Janice Derek's mom couldn't help but smile at her teenager son.

Janice- Why are you asking this, suddendly out of nowhere?

Derek-I am scared. Actually there is someone I like...

Janice let out a small giggle.

Janice- So that's the matter. I thought you doubted your parent's marriage. Well for your question I didn't get the life partner of my dreams.

Derek- what! and I thought you guys loved each other.

Janice- (laughing) You thought correctly my son. I never said I don't love your dad. Just he ain't the guy I dreamed of I wanted someone who would do all the house chores, someone who would catch stars for me.

Derek - And...

Jenice- And you know son he can't do all house chores because he has a job and also he is awful at cooking. He never caught any stars comeon this is so unreal but instead he catch all those cockroaches in the house as I am scared of them.

Derek- (stares at her smiling) Mom you both are something.

Jenice- Indeed but only when we are together.

Derek- So, you loved dad from your school days.

Jenice's face fell at this question.

Jenice- No, at that time your dad probably went to other school. Ok, let me tell you the story from the beggining. I happened to like a guy in my class since my first grade but never had courage to propose or even talk to him.

Derek- And he talked to you?

Jenice- No, he didn't because he liked some other girl from other class. Why won't he she was smart, pretty amd adorable. I just walked past them because I belived that I was fooling myself if I kept on liking someone who won't return the feelings.

Derek- Mom why didn't you try?

Jenice- It was waste because later I started to like this new boy who was super cute.

Jenice couldn't help herself but smile.

Derek -Finally here comes dad..

Jenice- No boy that crush was just a bully good looking from outside and rotten arrogant from inside. He can't be compared to your dad.

Derek- Mom your love life is really interesting.

Jenice- I know right. I was heartbroken when infront of me he kissed my classmate. Even after that I don't know how but everyone including him and his freinds got to know that I liked him.

Derek- And you agreed and proposed him.....

Jenice- No way I declined the truth calling it as a rumor. After him I geniuenly got a nice guy. But again he liked someone and this time my own freind. So again I kept mum.

Derek- Gosh mom that phrase "Guys I like, they like some other girl" is truely valid for you.

Jenice- Yeah you can say that but the last guy did like me back I heard a rumor but at that time my best freind fall in love with him. I had promised myself that I won't like the same guy as my best freind would like inorder to protect our freindship.

Derek- Mom are there any other guys left.

Jenice- Are you bored?

Derek- No not at all just curious you know.

Jenice- After this, many guys approched me but no one I liked but after this I thought I would just stop getting into this lovey-dovey thing. And guess what?

Derek- You met dad and fall in love with him.

Jenice - No man your grandma wanted to see me get married so I just met the person on the date my mom sent me to. He was my mom's freind's son. I met him and he clearly was not the one for me because he barely spoke anything that drove me crazy. He kept on staring my face. He spilled juice over his clothes. (Laughing) He ate the burger with out removing the napkin over it. The conclusion was date was a disaster.

Derek- (Laughing)Mom are you sure you are talking about that neat man with dinning manners.

Jenice-I know right. I made my mind to reject him. He was just irritating. But your grandma my mom loved him more than his own son my brother your uncle Peter. So she invited him on a family dinner I was so pissed because she asked me prepare a hotdog specially for him. I didn't notice but accidently pour a really good amount of pepper and chilli flakes on it. When I served it to him he just politely thanked me and smiled at me. I kept thinking thank me later boy. He took one bite and..

Derek -And told grandma that it was spicy ?

Derek raised a brow.

Jenice- Would you please let me say my story. No he ate the whole thing. His eyes were red his ears went red his whole face was flushed. He then excused himself to bathroom my mom told me to show him the way. I was so rude that I didn't feel bad for that guy. After sometime he came out while wiping his face. "You surely cook spicy meals, I enjoyed it. Thanks" this was what he said and his thanks did make me feel guilty for my doings but I didn't say sorry because I didn't wanted to marry him. I thought he would runaway.

Derek-Then..

Jenice - Next day I received flowers with a thank you note from him. I thought about the marriage and people around me getting settled and then your grandpa passed away. No one was there to support because at that time we were having a case over a property your grandpa bought with his hard earned money. Then I saw him at my dad's funeral with his mom. His mom looked a lilttle distinct as it felt that she just wanted to runaway from us like everyone else. (wipes her eyes) It was at this moment I felt real thanks towards that strange man he didn't looked irritating to me not at all.He was so firm wipping my mother's eyes and giving a warm hug to my lilttle brother. He said goodbye to all the guest and left with "please feel free to ask for help and take care of everyone. I know you can" and he just left. For some reason I wanted to stop him.

Derek -What did you do?

Jenice- I grabbed his hand and just mumbled "let's get married". After a month or so we were married though your grandma his mom wasn't happy at all she thought I was a gold digger. Actually it was kind of same because I wanted someone who would help my family . I married your dad for my selfishness and your dad knew about it but he just wanted to get married.

Derek-Why did he do that?

Jenice-He told me later that he was in love with me. After 1 year everything was normal we won the case and your dad won my heart. He actually made me fall in love with him. I still thank my stars or say my mother to introduce me to such a great man. I am thankful that I never got into some weird guy and met my love of life Jake.

Jake Derek's dad comes from behind his mother and encircles her waist.

Jake - And kid this is how I met your mother.

Derek- Mom andDad you guys are something together and that is such great.

January 08, 2021 20:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cookie Carla🍪
21:04 Jan 20, 2021

Hey. I just wanted to say that I like your creativity by putting this story in a play form. It was very inventive of you. Also, I absolutely loved your story. Great writing!!

Reply

Tuang Rhi
07:36 Jan 21, 2021

😊thanku so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.