The day of the hot Snow

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Mystery Suspense

It was the middle of summer, the hottest day so far. Suddenly the temperature dropped about 100° and it started snowing. Nobody was ready for it. It came down in large flakes, freezing most people who were wearing shorts and tee-shirts. Luckily most people were indoors because it was just so insufferably hot outside. The snow melted as it hit the ground, but the damage was done. There were several frozen people laying outside, still in the happy pose they were in moments before.

Several weeks after the first snow, it didn't stop. The snow would freeze whoever stepped in it’s way, instantly putting them into a deep sleep. Nobody could retrieve the body’s so they piled up in the streets, buried under several feet of snow. 

Eventually people decided that they had to do something about the snow. The world's best scientists were put to work, but nobody could solve it. 

We were running out of food, the water was freezing over, making it harder to get drinkable water. People were going crazy, not being able to go outside, or anything. Eventually the power went out, sitting in the dark was not the best way to stay sane. Nobody really knew what to do, as far as anybody was concerned we would starve to death, after a few more days. 

Then one day, the snow just… stopped. The big flakes stopped coming, and we could see the sun. People began cheering, inside their home. It was like a big celebration for something, none of us had any control over. The nightmare didn’t end there though. If you got even a fleeting touch of any of the snow, you would freeze and be killed instantly. The temperatures outside should have melted the snow, but the snow was too stubborn. Eventually it started raining. People were scared of the rain. They were scared that it would kill them, like the snow did. 

Eventually somebody decided to try out the rain. They didn’t die. They didn’t do anything. The rain lasted for days, it melted the snow. People were able to get food. They were able to fix the power. 

The damage was hard to undo however. Bodies were lined up in the streets, simply because we had no place to put them. It was horrible. People were never the same. The moral of the nations was impacted in the worst ways. People became depressed, they stayed indoors most of the time. 

Winter was the worst. People refused to leave their houses if even the tiniest of snow was falling. All around the world people were grieving the losses of many great minds. 

I know I would have gone insane if it hadn’t been for my family. In fact I know several people who did go insane. 

Eventually we cleaned the streets, and most people moved on from what had happened. Today marks the 10th year anniversary of The Day of the Hot Snow, and I suspect mother nature just wanted to scare us, because the temperature dropped below freezing and it was snowing. Just regular snow. Scientists can’t explain it. I don’t understand it. Luckily this snow wasn’t deadly, just cold.

My parents decided to move us across the world to London. According to locals the Day of the Hot Snow is actually the Day of the Cold Rain over here. Apparently the temperatures dropped below freezing, and it started, you guessed it, raining. The rain acted a lot like the Snow that happened in the States, anybody who went outside would freeze to death. 

It seems like London was a lot faster at repairing than the U.S. They had people who needed it in counseling, and everybody was back, working, and going to school. Even though their scientists weren't able to figure out what had happened, they moved on, calling it an abnormality of the universe. 

Anyways, I went back to school, and made a few friends. They were glad that London wasn’t the only place that the event had occurred. Classes were normal, and my family got counselling. Slowly we all got over the events of the Day of the Hot Snow. Life got better, although you could See people wince at the rain, or (if they had come from the other side of the world,) the snow. I even heard that history teachers are talking about it with the kids who were too young to remember what happened. 

Everything had gone back to normal. Until one day, when the news was on and a scientist came on saying he figured out why The Day happened. He said it was something to do with this giant asteroid, big enough to be a planet. You see, this asteroid is basically orbiting the Earth, kind of. It’s more like the Earth is sharing its orbit with this asteroid. Somehow this fact had been hidden from everybody who didn't work in astronomy.  

Basically they can predict that we should expect another Day like the Day of the Hot Snow/ Rain, in about a week. 

Naturally everyone went ballistic. They started buying as much canned food as they could, and storing it in their basements. Luckily for my family we were prepared, with a storm bunker. School was canceled, and most adults stayed home. I honestly couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t think about more weeks being spent indoors. I used to be a large fan of the indoors. 

As I’m writing this it's month 6 of being stuck here. Nobody predicted this. It didn’t stop raining. The streets were flooded and I know we won’t last much longer being stuck like this. I hope beyond all hopes my parents will find their way home. They were stuck at work when it started raining. It’s just been me for the last 6 months. I’m slowly running out of food. If you find this… I'm afraid it might be too late. But, hey. At least there is hope for the future. Right? Who knows. If science can’t save us, then what can?

January 21, 2021 19:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.