The Agony of Defeat

Submitted into Contest #249 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone dancing in a bar.... view prompt

14 comments

Fiction Funny

Jeremy's feet were on fire. Not in the metaphorical sense that one often associates with a particularly spicy salsa dance or an overenthusiastic round of hopscotch on a hot day, but in a literal, searing, 'why-are-my-toes-combusting?' kind of way. He was dancing—or more accurately, flailing—on the bar at The Rusty Nail, a dive so divey that even the cockroaches had developed a taste for cheap beer and regret.

The crowd, a motley crew of weathered regulars and tipsy college students, cheered him on, mistaking his agony for some avant-garde dance moves. Jeremy, through the haze of pain, tried to piece together how his quiet night out had turned into an impromptu flamenco on Formica.

It began with a dare, as many stupid things do. Jeremy's friend, Tom, a man whose sense of humor was as dry as the gin martinis he favored, had bet him twenty bucks and a bucket of wings that he wouldn't dance on the bar. Jeremy, never one to back down from a challenge, especially one involving poultry, had accepted. But as his feet met the sticky surface of the bar, a sudden, inexplicable heat had surged through his soles.

Unknown to Jeremy, the source of his current predicament was seated in a shadowy corner of The Rusty Nail, sipping a tonic water with a twist of schadenfreude. Agnes, his mother-in-law, a woman with the kind of disposition that could curdle milk at twenty paces, watched with glee. In her purse lay a voodoo doll, a crude facsimile of Jeremy, complete with a tuft of his hair and a piece of fabric from one of his old shirts. In her hand, she held a lit match, the flame of which was currently tickling the doll's feet.

Agnes despised Jeremy. She believed that he, with his collection of vintage video games and his inability to appreciate a good prune, was unworthy of her daughter, Eliza. Her disapproval had fermented over the years, and recently, she had decided to take matters into her own hands, or more precisely, into the hands of a voodoo doll she had procured from an online retailer that specialized in revenge accessories.

Back at the bar, Jeremy's dance had taken on a desperate quality. He twisted and turned, trying to extinguish the invisible flames that licked at his feet. The crowd was enraptured, phones out, capturing every moment of what they believed to be a performance art piece so raw, so edgy, it could only be titled "The Agony of Defeat."

Eliza, who had been chatting with a friend, noticed her husband's peculiar dance and felt a pang of worry. She knew Jeremy had many talents—his grilled cheese sandwiches were the stuff of legend—but dancing was not among them. She pushed through the crowd, reaching the bar just as Jeremy, in a final, frenzied effort to stop the burning, leapt from the bar and landed awkwardly on a nearby table, sending nachos flying.

"Jeremy, what on earth are you doing?" Eliza asked, her eyebrows knitting together in a display of concern and confusion.

"I... I don't know," Jeremy panted, his feet still throbbing. "My feet, they just... started burning!"

Eliza frowned, her mind racing. She glanced over at the corner of the bar, where her mother sat. Agnes, feeling the gaze upon her, looked up, her expression one of innocence marred only by the slightest twitch of her lips.

"Mom?" Eliza called out, her voice tinged with suspicion. "Do you know anything about this?"

Agnes feigned confusion, the match now safely tucked away. "Why, whatever do you mean, dear?" she cooed, her eyes wide with feigned innocence.

Eliza was not convinced. She knew her mother's ways, her penchant for petty witchcraft, and her distaste for Jeremy. As she helped Jeremy off the table, she made a mental note to search her mother's purse at the earliest opportunity.

"Let's get you home," Eliza said, supporting Jeremy as they made their way out of The Rusty Nail, leaving behind a crowd still murmuring about the most bizarre dance they had ever witnessed.

As they departed, Tom, who had been thoroughly entertained by the evening's events, called out, "You still owe me that bucket of wings, Jeremy!"

Jeremy, feeling the pain subside with each step away from the bar—and, unbeknownst to him, from the voodoo doll—managed a weak smile. "Deal," he said, "but next time, I choose the challenge."

As Jeremy and Eliza drove home, the pain in Jeremy's feet gradually ebated, but the mystery of what had happened gnawed at him like a mouse in a cheese factory. Eliza, with her sharp, analytical mind—a trait that made her an exceptional software developer and an even better detective in domestic mysteries—was already piecing together the clues.

"Jeremy, you know my mother has always had it out for you," Eliza said, her eyes on the road but her attention firmly on the problem at hand. "And tonight, the way she looked at us as we left... I swear she's up to something."

Jeremy, rubbing his sore feet, nodded. "I've always known she wasn't my biggest fan, but resorting to... what, voodoo? That's next-level."

Eliza sighed. "I wouldn't put it past her. Remember the 'lucky' rabbit's foot she gave you, which turned out to be from a batch recalled for being cursed?"

Jeremy chuckled despite the soreness. "How could I forget? I had bad luck for a week. Broke my toe, got audited, and lost my favorite hat."

"Exactly. She's crafty and cruel in her methods. But this time, we'll catch her in the act," Eliza said, determination lighting her eyes.

Back at Agnes's house, the elderly woman was in a fit of self-congratulation. She had never really mastered the internet or her smartphone, but voodoo was something of her generation, or so she believed. She carefully placed the Jeremy doll on her dresser, next to her collection of other, less sinister dolls.

"I think a bit of foot fire is just the start," Agnes murmured to herself, plotting her next move. "Maybe a pinch on the arm next time, or a tweak of the ear. Oh, this is going to be fun."

Meanwhile, Jeremy and Eliza arrived home. The first thing Jeremy did, after a long, soothing shower, was inspect his feet. No burns, no blisters, nothing to show for the fire that had danced across his skin. It was baffling and alarming in equal measure.

Eliza, ever the pragmatist, had a plan. "Tomorrow, we're going to visit Mom. I'll find that doll and put an end to this."

Jeremy, looking at his wife with a mix of admiration and fear—fear for what her mother might do next, not for Eliza's daring—nodded. "What if she catches you searching?"

Eliza grinned, a mischievous spark in her eyes. "Then I'll say I'm looking for her secret cookie recipe. She can't resist bragging about those."

The next day, under the guise of a spontaneous visit, they arrived at Agnes's house. Agnes, surprised but hiding it poorly, welcomed them in, her eyes flickering with unreadable thoughts.

While Jeremy distracted Agnes with questions about her garden—something that could keep her talking for hours—Eliza slipped away, her heart pounding as she embarked on her covert mission.

She searched the living room, the kitchen, and then, with a deep breath, Agnes's bedroom. There, on the dresser, surrounded by a cadre of porcelain faces, was the spitting image of Jeremy in doll form.

Eliza's breath caught in her throat. It was worse than she had imagined—there was not just a doll but a whole setup: matches, pins, and a lighter. Her mother had been busy.

Quickly, she snapped a photo with her phone before returning the doll to its place. She needed evidence, and now she had it. But as she turned to leave, a creaking floorboard betrayed her presence.

Agnes's voice, sharp and accusatory, called out from the hallway. "Eliza? What are you doing in my room?"

Eliza, thinking quickly, held up a piece of paper she had grabbed from the dresser. "I found your cookie recipe, Mom! I want to make them for Jeremy."

Agnes, though suspicious, was a notorious sharer of her culinary 'genius'. "Oh, well, make sure you follow it to the letter. They won't tolerate amateur mistakes."

Eliza left the room, her heart still racing, but with a small victory in her pocket.

That evening, Eliza showed Jeremy the photo of the voodoo setup. Jeremy's eyes widened in disbelief. "She's really gone off the deep end, hasn't she?"

Eliza nodded. "We need to end this, but in a way that she can't deny or twist around. We need... a counter-spell."

Jeremy, who had spent his fair share of time reading fantasy novels, perked up. "Like a magical showdown?"

Eliza laughed. "More like a psychological one. We're going to give her a taste of her own medicine."

Their plan was simple yet brilliant. They crafted a replica of the voodoo doll but made it in the image of Agnes. Using a bit of the fabric from one of Agnes's old scarves and a strand of her hair left on a brush, they created a convincing effigy.

A few days later, they invited Agnes over for dinner, claiming they wanted to bury the hatchet (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Agnes, curious and slightly nervous, accepted. Upon arriving, she was greeted by the sight of her own doll, sitting prominently on the dinner table.

"What is this?" Agnes asked, her voice trembling slightly as she pointed at the doll.

"Oh, we thought we'd try a bit of crafting. It's therapeutic, you know?" Jeremy said, his tone innocent but his eyes gleaming with mischief.

Agnes's gaze shifted from the doll to Jeremy and Eliza, and back again. The resemblance was uncanny, and the implication was clear.

"We even made it a little throne," Eliza added, pushing forward a tiny chair made from popsicle sticks.

Agnes, caught in her own game, was speechless. She knew she had been outplayed, but admitting it was another matter.

The dinner proceeded with an undercurrent of tension, but also a strange relief. Agnes was quieter, more reflective, and less combative than usual.

As they finished dessert, Eliza leaned in. "Mom, if you ever want to try crafting together, just let us know. We can make all sorts of things."

Agnes, looking at the doll that mirrored her so closely, nodded slowly. "Maybe I will," she murmured, the fight going out of her.

Later that night, after Agnes had left, Jeremy and Eliza high-fived. "Do you think she'll stop with the voodoo now?" Jeremy asked.

"I think so," Eliza replied. "Sometimes, you need to show someone the absurdity of their actions from the other side."

Jeremy grinned, feeling a weight lifted off his shoulders. "Well, then, here's to a voodoo-free life."

But as they celebrated, they didn't notice the small, shadowy figure of a bird perched outside their window. It watched them with keen interest, its eyes gleaming in the moonlight.

The figure was Agnes, not in body but in spirit. She had learned a lesson, yes, but her ways were deep-seated. She whispered to the night, "We'll see, my dears, we'll see."

And so, life returned to normal, or as normal as it could be with the specter of Agnes's mischief lingering. But Jeremy and Eliza had found strength in each other, and in their ability to turn the tables on the macabre with humor and love.

In the end, it wasn't just about voodoo dolls or fiery feet. It was about understanding the shadows and meeting them with light, about knowing when to dance on the bar of life, even if, sometimes, your feet might get a little hot.

May 09, 2024 17:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Ken Cartisano
20:21 May 20, 2024

Hi Jim, RE: De Agnes, of De Fite That was a funny, clever, action-packed story and a very fun read. A lot of funny lines and imagery. The opening has an over-the-top, colorful, sarcastic, animated flair to it, like ‘Mask’, or ‘Dick Tracy’ (even the cock-a-roaches were insulted), as you intended, the imagery was brilliant and I think it definitely deserves a sequel. I was disappointed when it ended, I wanted more. I expected more. For instance, does the daughter or son-in-law believe in voodoo? (Probably not? I know they suspect it of the ol...

Reply

Jim LaFleur
10:24 May 21, 2024

Ken, thank you for the helpful feedback! I’m thrilled you enjoyed the story and found Agnes’s antics as amusing as I intended. Your insights are spot on, and I must admit, the idea of a sequel is quite tempting. It seems Agnes’s spirit is indeed restless for another adventure. And Brie Larson as Eliza? Now that’s an inspired casting choice! Appreciate the advice and your brilliant guidance. No money will be sent—just my gratitude!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:43 May 18, 2024

Voodoo dolls give me the creeps so the story both thrilled and scared me. Glad they got to the foot of the problem. The story lends itself to a sequel, I see. Loved the descriptions and the ending. "when to dance on the bar of life even if, sometimes, your feet might get a little hot." Superb. Loved the humor. I see that 'burying the hatchet' when they married was not the angle Agnes took. She didn't like Jeremy even when he became part of the family. What a witch. She is a mother-in-law from hell.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
20:51 May 18, 2024

Glad you enjoyed the story and the humor! A sequel? There's an idea! 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
18:08 May 12, 2024

A mother in law with a voodoo doll of her son in law. A batch of “lucky” rabbits foots being recalled for being cursed. Haha, your sense of humor is so clever! As always, great story!

Reply

Jim LaFleur
18:46 May 12, 2024

Thanks, McKade! Your comment totally made my day. 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:43 May 10, 2024

The Rusty Nail, a dive so divey that even the cockroaches had developed a taste for cheap beer and regret. - hahahaha ! Great line ! Once again, what a story full of humour. Absolutely fun to read. Great job !

Reply

Jim LaFleur
19:30 May 10, 2024

I’m thrilled you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
15:22 May 10, 2024

Yeah, I spent my college days there, I believe. Great story.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
16:09 May 10, 2024

Thanks, Trudy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
12:16 May 10, 2024

A cleverly comedic story that had me enjoying the divey Rusty Nail, the seemingly innocent but diabolical Agnes and the voodoo shenanigans. Another funny story and with wise words about shadows and light at the finish. Always a pleasure to read your humorous tales!

Reply

Jim LaFleur
12:53 May 10, 2024

Thank you, Kristi! I always appreciate your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
22:00 May 09, 2024

The Rusty Nail, a dive so divey that even the cockroaches had developed a taste for cheap beer and regret. I love that line. I literally laughed out loud. I think I've been to that place. Entertaining story to say the least, Jim.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
22:18 May 09, 2024

TY, thanks for the kind words, and I hope my future stories will keep you equally entertained. Cheers! 🍻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.