The Unforgettable Road Trip

Submitted into Contest #6 in response to: Write a story about a family road trip.... view prompt

1 comment

General

I was always told that when you receive an opportunity you should always take it, and that is exactly what I did that evening. It was a cold evening, the weather perfectly matched how I was feeling, sad and depressed after my favorite football team just lost to the worst team on the planet. My mood was lightened by a phone call.

“Good evening is this Mr. Johan please?” it said.

“Yes yes please who is speaking?” my dad replied.

“I’m speaking to you from Landmark hotel and resort,” it said.


        Right then I could see my dad’s mood light up. He smiled and jumped up and down silently. I spotted him all the way from the dining table eating my delicious noodles with meatballs. I walked up to him, worried.

“Dad, are you alright?” I asked worried.

        There was no reply, I just went back to my table and I pretended as if nothing happened. Even mom was a little worried. Eventually he came up to us and joined us at the table for dinner. The smile didn’t seem to go out of his face.

“Dad, what happened?” I asked.

“Guys were going to landmark hotels for free only for a week!”He exclaimed.

“What!”My mom and I shouted.

       I finished eating my food as fast as I could and darted upstairs, grabbed my suitcase and packed all of the things I had no use of. I packed a week’s clothing including two pairs of shoes. When I got downstairs I remembered the time at the petrol station my dad filled a form for a trip to the same hotel, it all sums up.

“Dad did you know that we won this because of that thing that you filled that sunny day,” I said

“Oh! I remember now,” he replied.

         Later that night my mom and dad had also finished their packing for the 9 hour trip. That night I had the best dream about us arriving there in no time and enjoying ourselves like we always did as a family. The bright sun made its way through the curtain and rushed into my eyes. I could hear my parent’s already awake downstairs; the smell of sandwich filled the air as I descended the stairs.

         My parents were all ready and packed the stuff had made its way to the car and all that was left was the sandwiches and me to finish up. I went upstairs and got ready for the big day ahead of us. I wore my favorite pair of shorts followed by a red shirt with the words “TIME TO HIT THE ROAD” I also put on casual red shoes with sunglasses.

         Finally we left the house by around 10 in the morning so we could get there a bit early and still be able to enjoy everything. After a while I dozed off and had a dream but this time I felt like I was in the dream in real life. It was the total opposite of the previous dream. I woke up by the car moving up and down into 3-feet deep mud holes. I almost puked after all that shaking. I felt like I had seen this somewhere though. Then I remembered it was the exact dream he had.

         “Guys I think I’m going to puk-“

My puke filled the whole backseat of the car. My dad immediately stopped the car on the side of the road, and hopped out of the seat to help me, while my mom sat there in disgust. Later all was well we took the car to a nearby gas station and gave it a wash from the inside and we hit the road in no time.

         I ate a medicine which afterwards I began to feel better by enjoying the view and the beautiful weather, just when I thought things couldn’t get any better; my favorite song played “BE ALRIGHT by DEAN LEWIS.” I listened to the song over and over again until my parents got enough of it.

        I took a break from looking at the beautiful mountains and looked ahead

“Uhm dad is that cars jam-packed in front of us”, “that is not good,” I said. We headed straight for it. I looked over to the GPS and the time had increased from two hours to 3 hours left. This is a disaster I said to myself so no one would here it but me.

         Finally, we had ten minutes left till we arrived at the hotel and I was getting pumped. A few minutes later and I could already see the swimming pool of the hotel. W e gave the hotel the promo code for a room and headed up stairs to the room. It was the comfiest place I had ever seen. The couches were black with white cushions. The bed was also white with black pillows. I was already getting used to the black and white theme in this place.

         We slept for the first day after our delicious meal of fried chicken and rice. The next day I was the first to wake up. I got ready then woke up mum and dad then headed to the restaurant for the breakfast. I had omelet with bread which was really nice and tasty. At around twelve I got change into my swimming costume and jumped into the massive pool. Even the pool had black and white tiles which made it look like a chess board underwater.

         I swam for almost two hours, having fun with my parents. This was by far the best road trip to this hotel even though there was a teeny bit of a disaster I said it to myself so no one else heard it but me. I went upstairs and had my bath and changed into my night wear because it was already night. I had dinner and was hyped for tomorrow. That night I heard my family decide that they would only spend tomorrow here then leave because school started very soon and that we would do everything tomorrow, which was fine by me.

         I woke up around half past eight woke up my parents and headed off to the marina prepared about everything we were going to do. After breakfast we headed straight down the road to the road that leads to the marina. I was told that the marina is a place to relax, it also has a tennis court and its own restaurant, was like what more could totally ask for.

         When I got out of the car the first thing I saw was a tall creepy building which looked like it just came out of that old Frankenstein movie, that I never watched.(no I was not scared). I had to focus through a small little hole, which was the only place not covered by moss, to look at the tennis court. I thought in first place this place deserved a one and half star rating out of five and second of all it was like I was actually acting a horror movie. I looked over at my parents and they were doing fine.

         The cold mist filled the air; I felt chills running down my spine.

“Mom, dad I need to go use the toilet,” I said.

Luckily I knew there was no sign of a toilet here so we had to go back up to the hotel. I pretended like I used the toilet and went straight to the gaming room. I played games till it was lunch time. I had macaroni and stew my favorite dish.

        I would have swum again but I didn’t feel like because I was feeling kind of sick. I felt like I had a cold, but I didn’t mention it to anyone, so no more change of plans occurred. I would say I had the best time of my life but I didn’t, I enjoyed it a lot but I think it would definitely go down as the unforgettable road trip because of all the ups and downs.

September 10, 2019 11:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Huzaifa Afzal
11:36 Sep 10, 2019

and the award goes to huzaifa afzal, great story bro killed it, loved it

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.