moribund

Written in response to: Start your story in the middle of the action.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad Speculative

A/N note: idk if this fits the prompt i wrote this like a week ago cuz i was bored lol my language has degraded so bad i need to start working again :((

TW// Mentions of blood


The alarm bellowed throughout the small city.


One

They looked up from their books and at each other in oblivion.


The ruddy supermart alarm is going off again, he thought; putting in the ketchup bottle in his cart.


The bustle of the metro stood incognizant.


Two

The young student stood up from his seat, grabbing the other’s shoulder to do the same.


The bottle of ketchup dropped from his hands, the realization hitting him as he stood, surrounded by a pool of red. 


The metro screeched to halt, the people groaning as they tumbled on each other. As the light flickered off, they heard the faint alarm, despite the sound-proof environment. `Something outside the window caught everybody’s eye.


Three

Her forehead formed a crease as she got up, knowing screaming wont help in the lone library. A sense of helplessness conquered them both.


He shrugged the bit of ketchup from his hand, tears forming in his eyes and he recalled his family.


A chaotic panic ran through the subway, with people screaming to people standing stagnant; to people crying and looking around, to people shutting their eyes and ears.


Four

The chime of destruction echoed through the town.


He glanced at his stack of books, his worries and aspirations waning. The students glanced at each other, bidding a final unspoken goodbye. 


The bottles on the shack clinked, before ultimately falling down. He gasped for air, praying for another chance.


A red mess eventually choked the crowd which had the slightest chance of making it out.


Five

"Five seconds, sir. Five seconds and we’ve marked another city!”

The man on the other end chuckled, sitting comfortably on his desk, hundreds of miles away from the scene.

June 18, 2023 16:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.