5 comments

American Drama

Have you ever wondered or thought to yourself 'Why me?’ Of course, you have. You spilled your coffee on your new school dress. Your dog peed on the laundry you just washed. You washed your car and then a bird decided it was a great place to relieve itself. Yeah, you get it. That is me, but it will slowly get worse and I'll be asking myself that question every minute of every day. Anyway, well start from the beginning.

The summer was just beginning. It was one of those nice warm weekends before the dreary gray school week. I was enjoying the peace and quiet, listening to the birds sing and the neighborhood children laughing. The next day I had to take my final exams so I was enjoying a stress-free day beforehand. I did not know that this was going to be the last day for a long time that I had all to myself.

The next morning

I woke up, got out of bed, and took a shower. five minutes in the water turned off. Great. I got out of the shower and grabbed my hairdryer, when I plugged it in it didn't turn on. Ugggg. It's fine, I'm fine, everything all good. So I let my hair dry naturally while I was rummaging around getting ready for school. You know collecting stray pencils, gathering books, checking notes. The usual school morning for a senior girl in high school. I love my life, you know there are its downsides, but it's home. Anyhow, I got ready, made myself look presentable enough to go out into public then went to the bus stop. When I got there all was good, I guessed my early morning stroke of bad luck had worn off. If only. As I was waiting for the bus to come I looked over my shoulder and saw another student headed my way. He was the same person that I looked at under my hair every day, I even thought about talking to him but we were on different sides of the high school food chain. He was popular, a Linebacker on the football team, good grades. And I was, well me. The smart girl who didn't have many friends. I was content just to stare at him though and if he noticed he didn't seem to show. After a few more minutes of waiting the bus arrived, Just as I was about to get on, the bottom of my bookbag tore. All of its contents spilling out onto the road. Tyson, the guy I was just describing with love in my heart didn't even care. Yeah, he just walked through the mess not bothering to spare a glance at me on my hands and knees gathering the papers that now scattered the ground. Such a great guy right? Now let's fast forward a bit. So I took my exams. I thought that I did pretty great. I was happy with my work. Then I got a call about a week later saying that I had to retake the exam because my papers were misplaced. Why did this happen to me I retook my exams made sure that the teachers had photocopies of my work and went home. As I was driving home I told myself that it was just a bad week. The weekend was going to come then all would be right again. Yeah...That didn't happen. I got home and went straight to bed. I was so tired that I barely noticed that my mom had gotten the water turned back on. That night I had a dream, in this dream, it was raining. The constant drip sound was deafening in my ears. The sensation of water on my face felt so real it woke me up. Well, you can guess what happened next. It wasn't a dream. It was raining outside and for some reason, the universe hated me enough to put a leak right above my head. Let us just say in my head I was throwing the universe double birdies. I got up and pushed my bed over to the wall so the water would not get the bed wetter. Not like it would have fixed anything seeing as the whole top part of my mattress was soaked through. I checked my phone. It was 3 in the morning. Great. I need to get some more sleep. So I headed to our living room and curled up on the couch. I slept soundly for another 6 hours. I would love to tell you that when I woke up all was sunshine and butterflies. Nope. It was waking up late and missing the first two hours of school. I had an internal screaming match with myself for about 5 minutes. I hopped in the shower because I was already late so what were a few more minutes. Then got dressed and headed out the door. Right then and there I wanted to scream and cry and throw myself on the ground. My beautiful car. Sitting on top of my car, the one I just paid off last month was the neighbors oak tree. The worst part is, I don’t think my insurance pays off squished cars.

A week later

Yeah, so I got my car fixed… 3500$ later. Guess we won't be getting anything fancy off of the Mcdonald's menu. As I drove my newly repaired car to school nothing bad happened. So maybe, just maybe I could get away with saying “today could be a good day” I walked the corridors of the school wishing that these last two weeks hadn't happened. But wishing doesn't get you anywhere. My week carried out normal as ever. Nothing drastic happened. Except for that B- I got on my math exam. Just kidding. I had a normal weekend. Mostly just sleeping and watching T.V. 

The last Friday of the Month

It's been a week since my bad luck ended. Or so I thought. I finished my routine, went to school, said my goodbyes for the school year, and talked about the college I was accepted into. Everything was great until I got home. My mom was outside talking to a firefighter in my driveway. I pulled up next to the bright red emergency vehicle parked on the side of the road and walked to my mom

“What happened”

A pause

“The house flooded”

Well, at least it wasn’t fire.

April 13, 2021 20:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Sasha Senaratne
15:57 Apr 21, 2021

Well done, nice story! This is full of bad luck, but also Humour!

Reply

Sativa Schilber
15:57 Apr 21, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruby Glep
19:34 Apr 14, 2021

Omg i feel like this is me. I also love that last line

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:44 Apr 14, 2021

Haha, love the last line XD

Reply

Sativa Schilber
18:16 Apr 14, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.