2 comments

General

She wiped the tears, from her eyes, got out of the car and to her relief noone noticed she had been crying, it had started to snow in the Cumbrian lake district, she ran into the supermarket which was about close shoppers running to their cars,

"oh dear am I too late?" she called as she rushed through the, automatic doors grabbing a basket.

"No love" yelled the young cashier kindly, scratching her nose ring and pushing back her dyed black hair "you've another ten minutes yet, everyone is just rushing out to beat the snow looks like a blizzard it's on its way."

"Thanks then, I promise to be quick!" fainting a, smile responded Jessica, secretly thinking

" well I've far bigger problems than a little snow" as she hurdled down the Isles grabbing at prepacked fruit, sliced bread and frozen veg, she, would normally have chosen more carefully but she was still in shock after her docter's visit.

Her future hopes had been shattered as he had read her blood test results she was not able to have children. What was she going to tell her husband James when she got home? She'd decided to stop off and do a little, shopping on the way to give her head a little, time to think. She had staggered out of the medical studio feeling punch drunk her head swaying stomach churning in grief. Only the moon light had given her comfort as she drove she prayed "Gentle moon why not me? Why can't I become mother, I would do anything to have a baby a miracle it would have to be a miracle, we've tried everything else." The moon had been listening. The evening star started to descend as, Jessica unknowing in sad solitude had walked into the store.

Now, she found herself waltzing up and, down between tins bottles and jars not really knowing what she needed unable to concentrate. This news would be a disaster for her relationship they'd dreamed of children since their wedding three years ago. Her desperation was interrupted by an elderly woman tugging at her arm "Sorry my dear could you just pass me that bag of flour can't quite reach, I wasn't blessed with long legs! "Jessica, looked down at the kind wizened face, white strands of hair escaping from a grey head scarf and forced a smile" Of course here you are "passing the flour the old lady placed her hand again on Jessica's arm in gratefulness smiled and looked into her sad eyes and said" You know babies arrive when the time is, right my dear do not despair "and patting her arm with a chuckle off she went. Jessica stood there open mouthed not knowing what to say, then she found her senses and decided to follow her to ask how this old lady knew her desperation, an indignant wave of pride also came over Jessica "How dare she come up to me like that out of the blue and say something so personal so direct she doesn't even know me!"

knowing that the supermarket would soon close, she hastened to finish her rushed shopping but an overwhelming curiosity came over her. She needed to find that old lady. She started charging up and down the Isles in desperation but soon realised that person was nowhere to be seen. Indeed from the large store windows it was getting dark and the blizzard had started. The neon lights above her head started to blink, she started to feel a little uneasy as she turned the old lady was right beside her. Jessica jumped startled dropped the shopping.

The old lady not offended just gave the same chuckle as before "My dear, that's no way for a mother to behave now is it? What if you dropped your baby?" and off she chuckled again. Jessica felt furious humiliated frustrated and all the day'stoil was exploding out of her, as she screamed: "Hey, what the hell would you ever know about what I am going through? A dream I have had all my life to be a mother has been destroyed how do you know how I feel"she was about to shout more even insults, though not typical of her nature when she realised she was again alone. Suddenly all the lights went out.

"Excuse me, Hello? anyone,here? " she yelled, she pulled out her cell phone from her Italian leather hand bag to use the, torch, and again the face of the old lady appeared. Jessica screamed and dropped her phonestarting to run, the lights came back on, the old lady was giggling but a kind smile and a twinkle in her eye started to calm Jessica. "There is noon here my dear just you me and her" and a bony finger pointed to a blanket at the shop door, Jessica, still in shock not knowing what to think instinctively head to the door bent down and to her utter surprise under the blanket were two beautiful blue eyes lookinpg at her a round chubby face framed by blonde locks, "oh my goodness poor little thing what are you doing here in the middle of a blizzard" having no second thoughts she picked up the bundle if joy and swayed cuddling the baby in her arms. She felt the old lady's hand on her arm and looked at her for an explanation "I am Gaia mother of the Earth you desired a child and the maternal moon brought you a daughter.She came down to you with the northern star take good care of her she is the living miracle you desired and prayed for" Jessica, was overwhelmed incredulous and overjoyed.The old lady reassured her "You receive what you desire you get what you deserve. So mote it be, blessings my dear, dry your tears and prepare yourself for a future of love energy and vitality with your new family. " She kissed Jessica on the cheek kissed her baby tenderly on her forehead and as the blizzard suddenly passed she was gone leaving Jessica gazing at her new daughter now sure never to despair that miracles could happen.Gazing up at the moon the evening star was rising as her heart warmed to Gaia's wondrous gift of life.

July 24, 2020 16:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Thom With An H
23:57 Aug 06, 2020

I loved your premise. You made me root for her. I’ve read quite a few from this prompt and yours feels unique. One thing to keep in mind. You spelled aisle wrong. Isle is short for island. If you have a moment I’d love to hear what you think of mine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:32 Aug 01, 2020

This is a good story. Break the story into paragraphs for easy reading. It's always easier when reading. Somehow, though, your story seems rushed. Slow it down a little.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.