Summer Vacation Paradise

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Write about a summer vacation gone wrong.... view prompt

57 comments

American Contemporary Historical Fiction

Summer Vacation Paradise


“Have you heard from the kids yet? Are they packed and ready to go? Mapped out their plan of action to get there about the same time as we will?” Jed fussed as he double and triple checked his list.

“You're the planner and coordinator of this whole trip. Haven't you been exchanging e-mails with them to know those answers?” His harried wife, Trudy, retorted. “Look. We saved for it. We meticulously planned for it. We've anticipated it. We've waited for this moment. We are on our way right on schedule. So relax. The kids are adults. You helped them along the way so they know what to do. Soon we will all be together for this lovely vacation in paradise. Here's the cooler to pack. The suitcases are by the door.”

“It's just that now they live so far away from us we don't get to see them very often and I want us to enjoy every moment we can with them. It was a genius idea you had for all of us to meet at a midpoint, almost equal distance for all of us. Daniel from the north, Rebecca from the south and us from the east. A cool idyllic oasis in the mountains of Colorado. I can hardly wait to get out of this humidity and heat.

“The fifth-wheel is packed, hitched and road worthy. Let's get started. Figure it will be nearly a two day drive with this rig. Too bad we couldn't all fit into this home on wheels. The kids' families will share a guest ranch bungalow at the campground we reserved. They'll start their drives tomorrow and arrive the same day we will.” Jed enumerated.

“Wouldn't be great if little Tommy and Myranda wanted to bunk in with us one or two nights. You think Stella may be too young? We could accommodate them, right?” Trudy mused.

“Sure, the dinette makes into a bed and the couch jack-knifes into one. Great idea. Never get enough of the grands. We'll let them stay up late watching a movie with popcorn.”

“Oh, sure, so they'll be grumpy and tired every hike we take.”

“It's what grandparents do. Spoil the kids.”

After two days driving, one overnight stay at a nondescript RV park on the plains, and a long slow pull up winding mountain roads with awe inspiring views Jed maneuvered his 250-Ford hauling the trailer through the picturesque touristy town of Estes Park. At a stop light they had to wait extra-long as a group of roaming elk meandered their way across the avenue to their favorite tourist viewing park.

“You don't see that everyday in Iowa, now do ya.” Jed elbowed his drowsy wife.

“They act like they own the place!” Trudy marveled. “Are we there yet?”

“We are in the area of the start of Rocky Mountain National Park. The village is known for it's resident elk. Look at all the monuments to them. Bet there is a ton of wildlife in this region. Did you see the pristine lake we just passed reflecting the mountain range around it? Simply gorgeous. That's the kind of views we'll be enjoying all week.”

“They are majestic animals. That's for sure. I'll snap a photo. But I don't know if I want to share the sidewalk with them as I'm shopping about town. We will get to do some shopping, I hope.”

“Ja-a-as, I'm sure you gals will get a chance to browse. Here's an arrow pointing toward the campground right along the river. The kids should already be here.”

Their RV site was fortunately within a stone's throw from the guest house the other family members had been assigned so they found each other immediately. Following hugs and reunion excitement, son, Daniel, and son-in-law, Martin, helped Jed set up the fifth-wheel trailer detaching the truck so it could be driven when needed.

Dabbing sweat from his brow Jed remarked, “Boy, it's hot. Thought we were going to be enjoying cool mountain air up at this elevation.”

“Locals say this is the hottest they ever remember it being this late in the summer season. Luckily, there is supposed to be a little rain in the forecast in a couple of days so that will bring some relief. I'll get us some beers so we can plan what to do first.” Martin offered.

“Found some brochures when we checked in.” Daniel added. “Better include the women in this conversation.”

The three couples, Jed and Trudy, Daniel and Kaitlyn, and Rebecca and Martin, settled around the campground pool with beers and iced tea while the three children, Tommy, Myranda and Stella splashed in the water.

Choices ranged from shopping and spa treatments, pontoon boating on the lake to canoeing or whitewater rafting on the Big Thompson River, llama or horseback riding, rock climbing lessons or mountain biking, four-wheeling or nature walk tours, zip-lining or adventure parks and on and on. For what's it worth, looked like no one would be bored.

The first day they played it safe with canoeing down a calm area of the river. It felt refreshing on another hot day. In the evening they followed the water theme with a relaxing pontoon trip around Estes Lake. The following day the children won out with the adventure park and riding llamas.

That night a light rain started to fall. Praise to Saint Marie! What a relief because everything had been so dry and hot!

The third day rain came down in earnest. Fun to go round splashing in it. The kids got to camp out in Grandma and Grandpa's trailer.

The fourth day the rain came down in buckets. Boredom set in. At least there was story time.

The fifth day the rain came down in waterfalls. The river swelled. The guys thought fly fishing off their deck would be a grand idea.

Having to cope with facts, Jed and Trudy moved into the small house with the rest of the family. They watched as their home away from home became loose and floated away like a house boat down the now raging river.

Grandpa Jed announced, "It is time to go home."

"We'll roger that!" The rest chimed in.

Campground staff informed them all roads had been washed out due to this 1000-year flood. Estes Park and all the inhabitants were stranded as if on a deserted island. Even Jed's big truck would not make it through.

More bad news hit as the foundation of the cabin started to erode under the rush of water. The whole campground was in danger of being wiped out. It had become a life or death situation. It became necessary to shoot the rapids getting out of danger. The family had to find new shelter. They took refuge in an overcrowded hotel.

Jed and Trudy's family's dream late-summer vacation in the Colorado mountain paradise turned into a nightmare. It was weeks before they could be airlifted out of the devastated town. All their belongings were ross, er, loss.

At least everyone survived. This historic Rocky Mountain flood took several lives and caused billions of dollars in damage in early September, 2013.






August 09, 2024 05:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

57 comments

19:59 Aug 09, 2024

I really nice story-I enjoyed reading it. I don't think I've ever has a summer vacation go wrong, but that's probably because I don't usually vacation in the summer. A good read to be sure!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:18 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
19:56 Aug 09, 2024

True story?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:14 Aug 09, 2024

Did you read the first comment I wrote myself? I was inspired by the trip we took to the area a year later. Some of the roads had only recently finally been restored. Signs of the devastation were still visible. A wide area of the Colorado Rockies were affected by the worse flood since the 1930's. Such natural beauty had scars on it. The family's experience was fictional, I even named my characters after some authors on Reedsy. But it was set in an actual event that killed a lot of people and left billions in damage.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:58 Aug 09, 2024

I did read it, and I was curious about the whole story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:43 Aug 10, 2024

Did I satisfy you curiosity well enough? You can look up Colorado Rockies flood of Sept 2013. Many of my family are traveling to Estes Park this week. It is a favorite of theirs to go hiking etc. We can' t do that much anymore so elected to stay home. No one I know was there during the flood. It is a beautiful place and we were there once and pontooned on Estes Lake.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:53 Aug 09, 2024

Well that escalated quickly. What a water logged holiday!! I have known situations.... I. Regards to boredom setting in after a few days in certain locations. Not necessarily due to rain. This was an enjoyable read!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:00 Aug 09, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
07:01 Aug 09, 2024

Ah, I have had at least two family vacations that were wiped out in similar fashion (one by a massive winter storm in Lake Tahoe and the other by a massive forest fire up near Redding, CA). Great story with a genuine feel. (But you left out fly fishing!)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:39 Aug 09, 2024

Oops, I meant to include fishing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:45 Aug 09, 2024

I added fishing:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
15:53 Aug 09, 2024

So sorry about your ruined vacations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.