0 comments

American Drama Fiction

   The Russian Connection

Suzanne Marsh

Time was running out for Edvard Solokov, he either had to return to the USSR empty handed or find some one sympathetic to his cause; The Rodina and her politics. He had head stories about Lubyanka prison, he no desire to find himself there, a victim of the political system he believed in. Richard Fouch had joined the Young Communist League in 1939, he believed communism to be a better way of life than the democracy he lived in. Life was hard for Richard, he could not find a job during the depression, he did not believe in the democratic way of life. Edvard, one evening in late October decided to attend a meeting of the Young Communist League, there he met Richard Fouch. He noted that Socialism was being taught to all who participated in the league. He spoke to Richard for several minutes, he would use him when the time was right.

Richard, was dating a beautiful young woman named Vida Marks, whom he married. World War II was fast approaching, Richard was drafted. He was sent to Fort Dix in New Jersey to begin his training. Richard had an aptitude for math, men and women were needed to work on the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Richard, told his friend Edvard where he was going, the Russian asked Richard:

“Richard, how would you like to make a hundred thousand dollars in a few months?” Richard’s dark brown eyes lit up like the fourth of July. Edvard could not help smiling as Richard spoke:

“That kind of money would buy a real swank house for Vida and me, she is gonna make

me a daddy in seven months. Who do I have to kill to make that kinda money Edvard?”

Edvard, was very pleased with himself as he continued:

“Vell, a you half to do is get de the plans for the inner workings of the bomb that is being

built at Los Alamos. Ess very easy my friend.”

There was no way that Richard could resist that type of a challenge. Edvard turned to Richard:

“I vill be in touch soon.”

Richard went through basic training, then onto advanced training. He waited to hear from Edvard. While he waited he now began to understand his job and how crucial it was to America, he also knew it was critical to Russia. Born in poverty, to an alcoholic father and a mother who beat him for no reason, just because she could or so it seemed to Richard. The thought of one hundred thousand dollars was irresistable. He began to explore his area, he ‘found’ design drawing of different types of bombs. He learned as much as possible about nuclear fission, how it worked within a bomb. He went home at night to Vida, they rented a flat in Los Alamos, where he would have her type up what he ‘found’. Vida, began to think Richard was doing something very wrong, but she loved him and did as he asked of her.

Two years went by, Richard wondered if Edvard would ever contact him, until one morning while he was having coffee, a special delivery letter arrived:

Richard: Golden Boy

Richard quickly went into their bedroom, grabbed the notes he had taken. He proceeded to an isolated area just outside of Los Alamos. He waited until a Red Ford Coupe stopped. Edvard got out, Richard handed him the envelop with the notes, Edvard handed him one hundred thousand dollars. Richard quickly drove his Chevy back home to his apartment. He continued to accumulate all pertinent information about the atomic bomb the United States was working on.

J. Edgar Hoover sent for James McLane, he was sending him to Los Alamos:

Hoover stood as Jim entered, the shook hands:

“Jim, I’m not going to beat around the bush, I am sending you to Los Alamos, there is

a Richard Fouch, member of the Young Communist League, there have been some

plans that are missing, he has over one hundred thousand dollars in his bank account.

Make friends with this guy, if he is spying for the Russians, we have to stop him

in his tracks.”

Jim McLane was responsible for espionage taking place in the United States, that was the job.

“Mr. Hoover, I will leave later today. I should reach Los Alamos in two days. Anything on

this Fouch, record maybe?’ Hoover handed him a file folder. Jim stood up and left Hoover’s office. The six o’clock train was almost an hour late, nothing usual there Jim thought. The terrain began to change, Los Alamos was pretty rugged for a city boy, he had never been this far to the southwest. The train came to a halt, Jim was met by one of the scientist’s and driven to the installation.

Later that evening Jim was introduced to Richard Fouch and his wife Vida. They seemed like a nice enough couple to him. Fouch was a bit jumpy as Jim shook his hand. Jim’s instincts told him Fouch was hiding something. Vida, he noted was not the happy housewife he had been told about by other workers he had interviewed. This assignment was going to be difficult no matter how he looked at the situation. Jim made arrangements to get into their apartment. He had a search warrant as he entered their home he presented it. He began his search in the living room, Vida, as pale as a white sheet, watching his every move. Richard, appeared apprehensive as he stood near Vida, holding her by the waist.

Edvard, later that evening took the train to Washington, D.C. he was going home to Russia before things became to intense for him. He got as far as the outside of the Russian embassy when two FBI agents arrested him for espionage. He hoped the FBI did not discover the last set of plans that Richard was to given him, these contained the latest blue prints for the atomic bomb.

Jim, the following morning got an arrest warrant for Richard and Vida Fouch. Together with New Mexico state police, the pair was arrest. They were tried and convicted on charges of espionage. Judge John Moffit presided over the trial. Richard and Vida were found guilty, with the Judge telling them they would be executed for crimes against the United States government. Richard, was proud to give his life for the Rodina, Vida was scared, crying in the courtroom. The Judge said there would be no leniency, they were removed from the courtroom to the Federal Prison in Terre Haute, Indiana where they awaited their fates.

Two years to the day of their conviction Richard and Vida were allowed a few moments to say goodbye to one another. Richard was taken from his cell on death row first, where he was escorted to the death chamber, he died with the first electric shock. Vida, was then accompanied to the death chamber, two guards almost carrying her, she was terrified of what was going to happen. She died crying her inocences.

What had begun as a spy came to Richard had cost them their lives.


April 18, 2024 19:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.