2 comments

Fiction Speculative Romance

              Remnants of the sunset warped through the window, scattering amber across the worn planks of the farmhouse. Rose sat atop a wobbly stool, one hand clutching Paul’s, the other stroking his thin wisps of white hair. She had spent her life by his side, and that certainly wasn’t going to change here at the end. Dr. Anders closed his bag, careful not to disturb the elderly couple. He looked at them for a moment as Paul gazed at Rose, his eyes strained. A labored smile formed, his wife returned it and brought his hand to her lips. She took a damp cloth from the basin at Paul’s bedside and cleared the beads of fevered sweat on his brow. Dr. Anders turned his eyes to the fire burning thick in the fireplace. He approached the bed slowly and said quietly “Paul if… if you are too warm, I’d be glad to put the fire out before I head back into town. It’s important that you’re… comfortable… at this stage.” Paul coughed.

              “Naw, I’m ok.” He looked at Rose. “Besides… She always liked a fire.” Another smile was exchanged between them. “When I first started courtin’ Rose, right after she had moved to town, we’d sit by the creek in the woods over yonder. We’d talk ‘til the sun went down. Then I’d get a fire going and we’d talk some more. Enough talkin’ and well... we fell in love.” Rose replied with a shy nod. Paul continued, a glimmer in his eyes. “Doc, you see that carving in the hearth?” He pointed weakly at the stone fireplace. Dr. Anders leaned in, squinting to study the rough but ornate flowers running beneath the mantle. “Are those—”

“Roses. For my Rose. I carved them myself when we built this old shack.” He gestured around the small, nearly ramshackle cabin with his eyes.

Rose caressed his hand. “It was romantic.”

“I suppose I did ok.”

Rose smiled. “You certainly did. But don’t forget I was the one who broke the ice.”

Paul laughed himself into another raspy cough. “That’s true. Came right up to me at my cousin’s wedding. Asked if she could sit with me. Ain’t no way I was gonna say no to a beauty like that.” He grinned a grin that made him look alive and bright for a moment. “Doc, she didn’t even know anyone there! The ceremony was in the park downtown, she was passing by and -” Paul’s cough stopped his recounting of the story. Rose held his head up and put a cup of water to his lips as she took over the story. “I was new to town… thought it would be a good way to meet people. And it was.” She looked lovingly at her husband as he relaxed his head back into the pillow. Paul sighed with exhaustion. “It’s been a good life. I just wish… I just wish I coulda given you more, darlin’...”

“You have given me plenty. What was it you said in our vows?”

“My very heart and soul,” Paul meekly replied.

“And what more could I ask for?” Rose dabbed his head with a damp rag.  Dr. Anders found himself stifling a sob at the tenderness between the two. He had made house visits for years. Paul and Rose rarely ventured into town, but his visits had become more frequent as Paul’s health worsened. Now he suspected Paul was in his final days, if not hours. Even here at the end, facing the harshest of realities, their love did not waver. It was the kind of love Dr. Anders hoped to find one day. He felt a pang of envy as he shot a quick look out the window at the twilit dirt road stretching into the distance. The road that would lead him to another evening of solitude at his apartment in town.

“I better get back to town. Do you need anything from me before I head out?” Dr. Anders asked. Rose stood and approached him, taking his hand in hers.

“Thank you for all you have done for my Paul.” Dr. Anders shook his head.

“Rose… Thanks are not necessary. I hope I’ve made this trying time... well... less so. I wish there was more I could do… Speaking of which...” The doctor pulled Rose towards the door of the bedroom and lowered his voice. “Would you like for me to ask Pastor Martin to visit? He could probably even make it out tonight.” Rose looked down as her grip on the doctor’s hand loosened. “I apologize if I am out of line, I’ve never seen you at Sunday service, it’s just... His services would be of more use at this point than mine, I’m afraid.” Rose looked up at him.

“No, dear. That won’t be necessary.” She looked back at her husband. “Paul’s soul is in good hands.” Dr. Anders smiled politely and bid his farewell to the couple as Rose reclaimed her seat at Paul’s side, the fire popping and crackling in the hearth.

Paul looked at Rose and sighed. “Thank you… For all these years... These wonderful years. You’ve made this life… Well... just about as perfect as I coulda hoped for.” Rose squeezed his hand. Paul closed his eyes. “I’m getting tired... if I don’t… if I don’t see ya again in this life… I’ll see ya in the next, Rose.” He forced his heavy eyes open one more time to look at his wife. Maybe the last time. Rose stared back, her once steel blue eyes now a dull pupilless crimson, her lips were cracked, charred, curled into a wicked grin.

“Paul... I’ll be taking you there myself.” Her voice only resembled the one Paul had known for nearly 40 years. His gaze widened with his mouth, trembling. “What? Rose, I-”

“That is one name I have… though only to you. I’m known by many more. I’ve gathered souls for eons through torment, pain, grief, sorrow, fear, suffering... It’s a game I’ve excelled at. But only now… with you... over these decades that have been but a blink in my eye... have I gained one through devotion, joy, love. And I must say... The horror in your eyes… the poison of betrayal in your veins… It is sweeter than I could ever have hoped for.” Paul wanted to scream, but only wheezed. Rose stood, far beyond her height atop two ghastly hooved feet, her neck bent to avoid the ceiling. The fire in the hearth began to swell, illuminating every corner. It grew and grew engulfing the room as Rose cackled and Paul wailed.

.        .        .

Dr. Anders arrived just after sunrise. He knocked on the door. No answer.  He repeated it for the next few minutes to no avail. Rose typically greeted him with a coffee and a smile before he even reached their porch. He sat his bag down on the dilapidated boards and turned the doorknob. The door creaked open as Dr. Anders cautiously entered, calling first for Rose, then for Paul. No reply sounded through the tiny farmhouse. He made his way back to bedroom where he had left the couple. The bed sat in the corner, empty and unkempt. Rose’s stool stood vacant at the bedside. Confusion turned to concern. The doctor peered around the room seeing no signs of their presence aside from the still burning fire in the hearth.

.        .        .

The diner bustled as Dr. Anders sipped his coffee, absently staring at the speckled counter. The police were investigating at Paul and Rose’s, but there were no apparent sign of foul play. It was like they had vanished. Dr. Anders felt he should have been more bothered, but wherever they were, he knew Familiar jealousy stirred in him. He had spent last night as he did most nights, alone in his den, reading a book over a cup of weak tea. Dr. Anders closed his eyes, and placed his head in his hands when he was startled by a voice. “You ok, hun?” The doctor jolted and looked at the young woman seated next to him at the counter, raven-haired, concern in her deep blue eyes. He stumbled on his words for a moment, taken aback by her beauty.

“I – I’m... I’m fine. Just off in my own world I’m afraid.”

“I thought so. Hope you don’t mind me sitting here. You looked like you needed company.”

“You know... I think you’re probably right.” A smile passed between them and Dr. Anders felt his stomach flutter as the woman’s cheeks dimpled. “I’m sorry, but I’m the town doctor so I know most everyone around here, for better or worse. But I don’t recognize you.”

“Oh, I just wandered into town this morning actually. I guess I’m looking for a fresh start.”

“Well, I hope you’ve found it. What’s your name?”

“Daisy.”

August 20, 2024 21:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

07:36 Aug 31, 2024

Hey Ira, I loved this story. The deception I felt by Rose's demonic character could rival that of Paul. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. The narrative and descriptions kept the story alive! Keep writing such beautiful stories for us to enjoy!

Reply

Ira Watson
23:37 Aug 31, 2024

Thank you so much, Deepika!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.