1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Jackson Lidgefield was bravely arrested today. As the local police hauled him and his friends away, he hoped his father would bail him again. "Bailed and adjourned, don't waste my neurons!" That is all he had to say to the expectant media journalists. He had pre-alerted to the student protest this day.

It had been that time of a Friday for Jackson and his coterie of protesters. They had walked away from their elitist secondary college classrooms. Changing into their trending ripped designer jeans, they had defied the authorities of their alma mater and walked off.

Catching public transport, seventeen year old Jackson led his band of climate change activists, to unite in a nation-wide 'sneaky' campaign. Jackson was ready for the slightly hostile television cameras. His best girlfriend, Mahalia, lay down with the rest of their group. Using super glue, they all stuck themselves to the tarmac of that pre-chosen intersection, right on peak hour commuting time.

Yes, it was that time of the traffic witching hour. This junction was the main thoroughfare to the ports, and to a popular sporting complex for juniors. There, at the delays, yummy mummies were trapped in a gigantic, growing traffic jams, no turning off permitted. Their designer threads grew cross, horns blared. Four wheel drives and truckers sounded their disapproval.

First world kiddies were supposed to be a tennis ,swimming lessons, and basketball practice, all at the same time, as the trucks were expected to feed the coal export industry. This was important stuff. The police were summoned, but Jackson was undeterred.

One large truck driver in his equality impressive rig sounded his horn. "Get off my road, I've got a job to do. I'll run you all over!"

Mahalia yelled back, retaliating, "Men's mental health! Does it ever exist?"

The little schoolies in the back seats of the four wheel drives raised their thumbs. They, too, had been learning about sustainability. Jackson stood in front of the television camera, filming this day of upheaval.

Jackson had more than a word he planned to say. Looking concerned, he started.

"Hi from Jackson, one of the young adults of society's future. The topic I wish to present today concerns addressing Climate Change and Global Warming. In light of recent publicity in our media, we are joining our protests. It can be seen that there is a growing awareness for addressing climate change with activism and unity. We cannot argue that we all need to address the effects of global warming on the future of this planet we inherit. That is the primary theme of my speech today.

Firstly, experts agree that currently we all take the issues of addressing climate change very seriously. As I quote some current editors we have been studying, I acknowledge that this issue is affecting our future. This attitude is reflected in the current and recent blockades of ports and city streets in our cities.

Similarly, evidence is being highlighted about the state of our nation's blockades, our latest waves of addressing the impact of climate change protests.

As protesters, we are promising to keep going, the authorities will hear our voices. As we progress here today, we hope to convince you all that is never too late for the human race to change.

As only one voice of young adults today, I can only echo that is time to step up our protests addressing these issues of climate change and global warming. The overwhelming concerns of our respected bigwigs are stating what our human race needs to do right now to avert disaster, emphasized in the media.

There is a global network of young people who are vowing to continue with climate change protests, even as they mature. One of my heroes is Greta Thunberg, who has spent her secondary schooling years raising awareness for the needs for activists for this very real cause.

We are all aspiring to create a living legacy for our future, somehow. Overall, the spate of city blockades in the globe today have highlighted our generation's dread about the state of our planet's climate. So what if we attract negative publicity. We accept this. Soon, yummy mummies, there may not be enough oxygen to breathe. We are over breeding. We are all adding to climate change, with all those mini-me kids. Why didn't you sponsor a forest instead?

Look at you, television journos! Nice blonde peroxide, nice gas guzzler. There might not be enough food on earth soon, let alone designer publicity. I must say, I have researched this topic. It is important, and relevant to our human needs. We have all here united in rebelling against our future extinction. There can be no doubt that we have been labelled as the "Last Generations!", due to the potential disasters waiting for our human race and our beautiful planet Earth.

This may possibly be true, so it is crucial for we young adults to continue to support protesters and activism. It is a mistake to think the principles of protecting our future is an issue that does not affect each of us here today, including you motorists and police!"

Jackson's group waved little flags,as there, glued to the road. The police took action, and hauled protesters off the tarmac. They motorists thought they were important people, they really fumed at this waste of their precious time. They were late!

Yes, Jackson Lidgefield was brave as he was arrested again today. All the online news had to say,was, "Police arrested schoolchildren today!" Compared to football news, that item did not really rate. The television journalist was slightly catty in her negative opinion, but went to the hair dresser anyway. She had to look good.

The police woke up anyway, got on with policing the community on the weekend. Jackson's father had bailed him again. Jackson wondered if he, too, was becoming a stereotype, a protesting middle class cliche. His father drove him home from the police lock up, adding to climate change by using petrol in his wheels.

Jackson did graduate from secondary college anyway, a hometown hero to all the mini-mes. He progressed onto a tertiary academy, despite his now criminal record. He did pursue his course of activism, that is what his educators had encouraged him. Naturally, he was the winner in the debating society, if any human wins anything ongoing. Guess we all need to want to change, to address this climate change. Let's all hope and unite, so the young ones are not the "Last Generation!"

July 08, 2023 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Delbert Griffith
12:58 Jul 15, 2023

An important message, Julie. Although I found the tale a little too expository, I admired the message. Embraced it, in fact. One note: when you have dialogue that spans several paragraphs, start each new paragraph with quotation marks. Good story, and a timely one. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.