2 comments

General

The Sun was playing a hide and seek with the trees, the tiny droplets of the morning mist shone like twinkling stars on the leaves. It was a bright morning and Keath woke up a bit late today. Barring her daily morning schedule, wakeup call at 5:00 AM, finish her daily routine and jog for an hour, then starts the busy schedule. Prepare breakfast for the family and get ready to venture out for a busy day. Keath is a costume designer, she has a boutique with designer outfits and it was a very flourishing business.

“Hey, Keath, why did you wake up so early, it’s still 8 in the morning darling why don’t you sleep, you had a strenuous week last, now it’s time to rest your bones. “ Dave Keith’s best friend and hubby for 25 years got up from the bed and held her tightly. He kissed her on her cheek “ Morning my love, it’s been so long that we got our free time to spend, thanks to our lovely kids who planned this surprise date for us”. “ Oh, Dave” yelled Keath “ Just go and freshen up , Just see the world outside it’s so beautiful out here in the midst of the jungle on a summer morning, where the sun peeks around to play hide and seek with the trees. Oh, it’s a dream come true, Oh God I just can’t believe my eyes we are staying in a tree house amidst the jungle I feel like heaven here.

Dave embraced Keath and there was a plunge of adrenalin, phone started ringing,” Oh, no wrong timing how on earth can we be disturbed at this moment” Dave yelled. Keath pushed Dave on to the bed and ran to pick up the phone. The person on the other side spoke “Sorry ma'm, I hope I’m not disturbing you, but I just called to tell you the breakfast is ready. Have a nice day m’am “. Without uttering a word Keath hung up the phone. “Dave, the breakfast is ready, come lets go”.

It was their 25th Anniversary and their kids had planned a surprise date for them in an exotic resort which was away from the city’s commotion. Keath and Dave were truly surprised by the exuberant creation in the midst of the jungle. Tree houses which had all the facility of a star hotel, barring entertainment. They wanted their tourists to get a touch of forest life apart from the modern technology.  There was a rope way and a zip line to reach the restaurant. The whole resort was an adventure to be explored. The birds chirping, the peacocks dancing to glory, wild dogs barking, the trees rumbling and the faint sound of lions roaring, a little scary thought everything was excellent.

“ Darling” said Keath , “After so many years we are on a vacation, both of us have slogged a lot for the future of our children , and they have given the best gift ever, a free time for the only two of us”. “Yes dear and we have to make the most of it” Dave smiled wickedly and pulled her to bed. Keath shoved him away “ You naughty man, I didn’t mean that , Lets go and venture into the jungle , there is a safari out here these people are arranging a ride , come on don’t be a spoil sport” She pulled Dave out of bed and the set on for a jungle ride.  The jungle ride was exemplary, they were lucky to see some wild beasts along with the herd of jumping deer, dancing peacocks, wild boars, cuddly bears etc.

They were exhausted by their trip and they plunged to sleep. It was a week’s stay at the resort on the tree house. They needed a break from the hectic schedule a fully fledged designer and an entrepreneur in furniture business couldn’t get time for themselves. Hence their children had planned this. 

Hey, Dave do you remember how we met for the first time. Those childhood days, you were a handsome lad of 16 years and I was also of the same age. You know Dave I was a Darling Angel for my friends. As a class topper and pretty looking girl every other guy in my class would want to make friends with me. But I fell for you Dave because of your silent nature your spirits to top the world admired me a lot. “Dave smiled and said, “Yes, I know you were always behind me pestering me for my notes though you were the best”. “Just remember I banged on to you once when you were carrying novel project a model to be exhibited in an inter-school competition. ““Bang, the model fell and you lost your cool. That is the first time I saw you screaming. To be frank with you, I did it purposefully I just had challenged my friends I would make you angry, hence this was just an opportunity.” “You are not an angel, you they are prettiest devil, spoil sport, you ruined my model, but you helped out in rebuilding the whole stuff which won the first prize”. “I was so overwhelmed by your artistic approach which made me like you and now you are with me forever. To be frank with you, I always admired you but couldn’t express it because of my introvert nature.”

“Oh Dave, I knew you loved me from the beginning. All for good, we are together as the best friends forever “. Keath kissed Dave and they were in each other arms happily ever after.

‘Mom, wake up I have classes you have not cooked today, I’m so hungry,’ yelled her daughter. “Dad, your friend is waiting outside don’t you think your are late for the furniture store”. “Are you both day dreaming “ yelled their children” “It is half past noon and you both are still sleeping”. “This thatched  tree house is going to fall this year . When will you get mended dad” asked his son.

“Oh, God what a dream it was.” exclaimed Dave. “Did you dream the same, Keath” asked Dave. She smiled back. Dave who was a carpenter went to his small furniture store for his daily routine job. Keath finished her cooking and sat on the sewing machine to stitch clothes for her neighbour's son.

An exuberant dream indeed.

July 17, 2020 17:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Aimee P
21:57 Jul 22, 2020

This is a neat little story! I really liked that this revolves around a resort treehouse. I would watch your run on sentences, there's so much information sometimes that it's hard to read. If you make some smaller sentences here and there it will help you story flow. All in all though I really liked the look into Keath's life and what she looked forward too! Good job!

Reply

Arathi Raghuveer
17:36 Jul 23, 2020

thank you for the suggestions and I'm glad that you liked my story. Yes I need to work more on the structure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.