0 comments

General

“Hey Mama,” Olivia tried to hide her exasperation at the third call from her mother this morning, “I’m at the bookstore. I’m getting the book right now.”

“Oh, good. I just wanted to make sure you didn’t forget.” There was a rustling on the line before she said, “I just read that it’s on the best seller’s list and is a sure-fire way to get you what you want. Come on Livy, a new year means new choices.”

Olivia grimaced and stood in the beam of light that illuminated the current focus of her mother’s life Ten Steps to Finding a Spouse Without Using the Internet and cut back the swear that tried to bulldoze through her lips, “Why do you do this to me, Mama?”

“Olivia, what do you have to lose?” she scoffed, “Twenty bucks is worth the chance at finding a man and giving me grandchildren before I’m too old to enjoy them. Love you baby, bye.”

“Way to go, Mama guilt always works.” Olivia brushed her fingers over the cover and felt the sharp pang of disappointment pierce her heart. Olivia had what she wanted. She dated John for three years. They built a life together. Had the same friends, linked their schedules. They started looking at houses. All the pieces were coming together, all he had to do was hold out the ring and ask. Everything was great...until.

“There’s always an...until,” Olivia murmured.

“Olivia?” a woman’s voice rang out, “Is that you?” the voice was quickly followed by a blond head and a face artfully painted, “Oh, I’m so glad to see you!” her pale pink lips spread, showing magnificent white teeth.

“Hello Elenore,” Olivia cleared her throat and tried to return what she hoped was a pleasant smile, “It’s nice to see you.” 

Of all the days she had to run into John’s mother, it had to be today. In the self-help book aisle. She didn’t want Elenore to think she was desperate, finding a man after dating her son wasn’t something she wanted to broadcast. Olivia took two big steps and placed her hand on the nearest book. Then she raised her arms to give Elenore the semi-hug and air kiss that she was so famous for.

“I’m so sorry that you and John didn’t work out,” she fluttered her hand in the air, “I would so much rather have you as my daughter-in-law than that Rochelle girl.” 

Elenore slid her eyes away when she said that. What a liar. Olivia just nodded her head, “That’s sweet but Rochelle is a very accomplished and beautiful woman. They will go far together.” Yep, right to Hell.

“Well, yes,” Elenore beamed then remembered who she was talking to, “Well, I see you are interested in some self-improvement,” she reached for the book I had my hand on and smiled, “This is a good one, my Aunt Ida had great results with ‘Three Months to a Slimmer you’, I think you’ll find it a good read.” Elenore handed Olivia the book, “It was good to see you. I wish you the best of luck.”

Olivia was shocked. First, she was a size four. Which was perfect for her five-foot six-inch slender frame. Second, her tight ass was a bit fuller than her chest but no one has ever commented on her weight before. What a witch...no a bitch! Totally dodged a bullet on that one. Olivia’s anger died, snuffed like the candle on the table of their Anniversary dinner. Damn Rochelle. Rochelle, the new intern at Hunter Financial. Just Rochelle hanging with the guys for drinks. Working late with Rochelle, have a huge client to hook in. Then the weekend business trips. Three years gone in a blink of an eye.

Olivia slammed the book back on the shelf and inched her way back toward the help find a partner section and stood in the light once again. Will this book tell her how to spot the signs of a cheater? Will this book weed out the sociopaths and other mentally deranged individuals? Will this book help her to trust herself? She reached out again and traced the letters on the book. No, she didn’t want a book to tell her what she needed. Olivia already knew what she needed...time. She turned on her heel and made it to the end of the aisle when the bell on the entrance door rang. She looked over and froze. What the hell? Then dropped to her knees to hide behind the bookshelf. Olivia pleaded with every God and Saint she could think of. Prayed that he didn’t see her.

“Olivia?” the deep chuckle raised goosebumps along Olivia’s arms, “Are you hiding from me?”

Olivia closed her eyes for a second then reached out and grabbed the first book she felt. She popped up with a smile and held up the book, “Nope, just bent down to grab this. Didn’t even know you were here.” Olivia saw Nick smile, then wipe his hand across his lips and look around the store.

“You...you’re exploring new avenues of...pleasure?” Nick dropped his hand and hooked his thumb into his belt buckle, his fingers dangling over his crotch.

Olivia didn’t mean to watch his hand. Didn’t mean to stare at his crotch. That’s why his question left her confused. She cocked her head and turned to look at the cover of the book Let Your Finger’s do the Walking: A Woman’s Guide to Self-Pleasure and felt her face go red, “Wha...that...um...well, John was great at a lot of things but not everything.” 

Nick laughed then coughed, “I didn’t think that was a problem.” He looked at her chest then slid his eyes down the rest of her body, “I mean...I haven’t heard any complaints from John in the past.”

Olivia snorted, “Well, John’s pleasure was never the issue,” then waited for the floor to open up and swallow her whole but please, leave the book. Olivia looked up into Nick’s green eyes and hung her head, “Ok...fine. I was hiding from you.” She dropped the self-love book on the top shelf and crossed her arms over her chest, “You’re his best friend, I’m the unsuspecting and gullible ex-girlfriend.” She peeked up at Nick, “You’re not obligated to acknowledge or be nice to me.”

Nick took a step closer and whispered, “I have a confession to make.”

Olivia held her breath, a mixture of fear and excitement made her heart speed up, “Should I be concerned?”

Nick smiled again, “I always thought you were all wrong for John.” He held up a hand when Olivia frowned and opened her mouth to respond, “What I’m saying is, you would be more satisfied with me, both emotionally and...physically.”

Olivia’s eyes widened and her pulse picked up...down there. Olivia tried to think of something to say, “Are you playing with me?” She raced through her memories and tried to pull up any moment when Nick made any kind of sexual pass or displayed any interest and couldn’t find any, “You’ve never said anything or did anything.”

Nick ran his fingers through his hair, “I ran into Elenore at the coffee shop on the corner and she mentioned seeing you in here. I haven’t seen you since John eloped and thought it would be weird to call you or stop by your place and check on you. Like you said, I’m his best friend.” He took another step closer. “She mentioned you were looking at books to improve your self and how she thought that was a tremendous idea. All I could think about was rushing here to stop you. To tell you not to change a thing.” Nick’s cheeks reddened at his admission.

Olivia stared at Nick. Shock and...pleasure coursing through her. She looked at his sandy brown hair, red-tinted beard, and full lips. She pulled in her own bottom lip and bit down gently. Olivia continued her observation down his broad shoulders, trim hips, and long legs. Yep, he’s hot and she’s interested. 

“Have dinner with me.” Olivia blurted, surprising herself and Nick.

“I don’t want to be the rebound,” Nick reached out and touched Olivia’s elbow, “I wanted to wait until you were ready. I didn’t...don’t want you to think that you were the problem in that relationship. I’ve known John a long time and he just happened to meet you first. And...I don’t know...you...you were loyal to him but how do you tell your best friends girl you fell in love with her two years ago and not sound crazy?”

Well, when he put it that way Olivia started to have second thoughts. What did she really know about this guy? Mental checklist: parents, yes. Siblings, yes. Job, science teacher. Hobbies, most of them. Friends, all of them. Girlfriends, three since she’s known him. She knows him as a friend. What would he be like as a lover? Then she heard her mother’s voice in the back of her head, “What do you have to lose?”

“Tonight, seven o’clock, pick me up?” Olivia waited.

“You want me to pick you up?” the twinkle in Nick’s eyes reminded Olivia of a long-forgotten joke ‘if she wants you she’ll have you pick her up’ and she started laughing.

“Yes, Nick,” she said, “Pick me up.” Olivia smiled as she watched Nick walk away. She turned back down the aisle and stopped a short way down. She scanned the titles quickly and smiled when she found the book she wanted Sexy, Sassy, Smart: Knowing Who You Are AND What You Want, “Yes Nick, I want you but I want myself back more.”



January 22, 2020 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.