8 comments

Fiction Crime

 

TW: gore, murder

It was awkward looking into his eyes as we sat across the table for a meal. My heart was pounding so fast that I thought it would burst into pieces. He was smiling, but I couldn't read anything from those blank eyes. Even after years, this silence between us remained the same. Hopeless romantic, anxious me trying to find out what is hidden in those empty eyes. Today is the day of disclosure, which is why I called him to this secluded cabin. I was staring at the warm yellow light reflecting on his face highlighting his cheekbones.  

For a moment, I locked eyes with him, and my heart skipped a beat, I saw his throat moving. He was nervous, I looked down, and he pretended to be unconcerned. It felt like we both have questions and demons from the past. My hands were shivering as I pour the wine. Our eyes met again as we toasted the wine glass, this time I was more prepared to act normal.

I made Goulash seasoned with chili pepper because he hates bell pepper. Cooking is fun when you are cooking for the person you love, making his favorite dishes, for the first and last time. I prepared chicken steaks, Cobb salad, and sour cherry pie for the dessert. I arranged them perfectly on the table. Christopher told me the food looks delicious, I didn't know how to respond. I nodded with an awkward smile.

"Eliza, you haven't changed a bit," Christopher commented with a silly grin.

I wasn't about to reply to that because we both knew we were no longer the same people. He still smelled fresh blood. I didn't want to think about the warmth of her blood on my hands once again. Everyone talked about Audrey for a month then she became another missing college girl. Some bloodcurdling nights her expressionless dead eyes crucify my existence as if she asks what she did to deserve an end like that. The guilt I carried with me overweighed my love for Christopher. Looking back, even I have no explanation for the things I did. I never asked him why he killed Audrey, his girlfriend, whom he loved so dearly. The Eliza, Christopher knew died that night as I whipped away the evidence of my best friend's existence. The only thing that didn't change after that night was my love for him. I should have done something for Audrey. When I found her, she was still breathing. Christopher stopped me by saying that Audrey won't make it to the hospital and if she did, he will end up in prison. We burned our bloody clothes after we dumped her body in the swamp on Mr. Gibson's Estate. Audrey was an addict, she had problems, so it was easy for us to get away with it. After college Christopher just left, leaving me with the trauma of a murder. I was a stupid girl, who lost too much in unrequited love.

The emptiness in Christopher's eyes vanished for the first time that evening as he gulped down his drink in one gulp when I asked him "have you changed Christopher?". In spite of his angst, his eyes continued to search for my enigmatic smile. I was amused to watch his demons crawl from within his eyes, revealing his guilt. I wasn't prepared to make him suspicious so I giggled.

"Fair enough! Even Eliza made jokes, so why not?" Chris nodded, trying to appear silly. He gave a sigh of relief in between, already giving it away. The cold of his grip froze my mouth and I couldn't help but be captivated. For a moment, we exchanged cynical glances, both cynical about each other's intentions without veering away from our fake flirtation. Possibly he came here to erase the last evidence of his crimes. He had no idea that I knew about his plans for me.

As we sat on the couch holding hands, it seemed as if we were in love. He underestimated me as a devotee of his charm, so all I had to do was be submissive. As his finger moved through my face to my neck, I stared right into his eyes as if I were nervous. When the rhythmic movements of our bodies stopped, he fell to the ground like a conqueror. All I felt while laying down with him was a pleasure in pain. I made him taste his last victory as well as my final defeat. I needed to end it once and for all.

While he was tied to the chair opposite the couch at midnight, I watched him open his eyes with disgust. Tired eyes looked around as if he had forgotten all that had transpired prior to his dozing off. He was panting, trying to break free. I wasn't moving, I remained still. You can't treat me like this, Eliza, I am sorry for everything! He yelled. As I sat there, pretending it wasn't real, he continued to yell until he realized I wouldn't let him go. In the same breath, I was enjoying and despairing the fear of death in his eyes.

Christopher, do you understand what you did to me? Audrey wasn't the only one who died that night, you made me a part of it, and everything I liked about me died that night. I, a lunatic in love, did everything for a maniac who murdered his girlfriend. Chris, it cost me everything! Tell me everything Chris, my hands are equally stained by your sin! What made you kill her? I could tell by his eyes that he was preparing his answers while I was interrogating him; he wasn't going to tell me the truth.

Eliza, I never intended to hurt you. His eyes were scanning the room as he attempted to discern my intentions and his next move. It was an accident, Audrey was my love, Chris murmured.

Accident! She was murdered by you accidentally when you discovered she was pregnant! I never thought you were capable of such a sin Chris! Your agony and guilt led you to kill her. I know everything you did, It is clear that you didn't ask me to help you cover up the murder instead you tried to frame it on me! You cannot get out of the hole you dug for yourself. Now tell me all about it, and maybe I can sympathize with you. 

As tears ran down Christopher's face, he looked up and sighed as he leaned against the top rail of the chair. He was preparing himself for a confession he had been repressing for years. It wasn't the hate that drove him to kill Audrey, but the guilt he carried for being an asshole who traded his girlfriend under the influence of drugs. Audrey believed she was carrying Christopher's child. After realizing what he had done, he couldn't face her. Audrey felt he did not want to take responsibility for the baby. She called him to the woods behind the university to sort things out and say it was okay if he didn't want to take the responsibility. As a result of the argument between them, he spilled the beans. Initially shattered, she burst into tears, then became enraged and began shouting at him. He fell down and hit his back against the tree trunk when she grabbed him and pushed him against the tree. She stared at him with teary red eyes one by one as if asking for justice. She assured him that she would ensure that he would be punished for the evil act he did. She burned with the pain of being cheated by the person she loved. By hitting a stone against the back of her head, he was freed from that fire. The last drop of his humanity evaporated when he called me to plot the evidence of the murder he committed against me. With the stone in hand, he tried to make it seem like I was the one who was covering up his murder to protect him. 

After I dumped her body, I searched her room for anything suspicious, as he hadn't told me anything. When I saw her pregnancy test, I thought she had cheated on him and he had purposefully killed her. Before he started dating Audrey, we were so close, he always knew I would do anything for him. Since I knew I could be accused of her murder if any evidence was left of her, I packed her things in a bag and dumped them in the swamp after he left and made her look like another runaway student. Otherwise, I would have been a friend-zoned bitch who killed his girlfriend to seize him.

Chris, did you know that I knew you were plotting against me after that incident? Audrey's file was closed as another runaway addict, I thought you were just stupid, I would have gotten away by myself if it was me. You dragged me into it for no reason, like my life doesn't matter. The fact that hurt me the most was that incident questioned my worth of being a friend and a human. You snatched the meaning of my existence, I am just a walking dead woman. I want to set myself free, I want to feel the pleasure of pain. Chris, I know you came here to kill me. I will set you free.

 I walked towards Chris with a boning knife. Seeing the horror on his face as I sliced through his wrist nerves was delightful. His screams for help were loud and desperate. It was now my turn to grieve as the man I love is dying. I grabbed the last piece of sour cherry pie, sat on my couch watching his blood draining out of his body. 

The cops are on their way as I write this, Audrey deserves justice, and her body was found in the swamp rotting as our souls were! Now, let me finish this last piece. 

 

 

June 29, 2021 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Adithya Suresh
12:23 Jul 01, 2021

Intense!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sangetha Muthan
14:18 Jun 30, 2021

You are superior in your thoughts.... Really a great kick start... Loved the way of conveying...❤️.. keep rocking gal..🦸😘

Reply

Elsa Bluemoon
14:46 Jun 30, 2021

Thank you dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Praveen Kumar
13:03 Jun 30, 2021

Oh boi! 😮 New writer in the town

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anisha Anil
12:29 Jun 30, 2021

You go girl.... loved it. 🌻

Reply

Elsa Bluemoon
12:34 Jun 30, 2021

Thank you dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:29 Jun 30, 2021

Good one Neenu😘😘😘❤️keep it up

Reply

Elsa Bluemoon
09:38 Jun 30, 2021

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.