1 comment

Drama Fiction Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

There the girl sat, In her chair facing the window at the sunny outside. She would sit there for hours, only because she had nothing else to do. She had no one else to talk to. It was just her rocking in her chair looking outside and that’s how it was most mornings. She would do it everyday and that was her routine. More so she wasn’t always like this. It all started with the accident, the tragic accident that changed everything.

When the girl was young she had everything she could’ve ever possibly imagined. She had a huge house with a beautiful, wonderfully tended garden. The walls had wonderful decor. The house smelled of roses and lavender. It was a warm feeling. She had a loving mother and father, two sisters and two brothers and they all loved each other dearly. Her room was grand, it had everything you could possibly imagine for an eight year old child. She had all the dresses that she could wear to parties, though she didn’t particularly like those, she’d prefer to bury her head in a book and that was that. She had all the shoes you could ever want and wear whenever. Oh, and they were all perfectly polished as well. She thought that would be her life. She would be wealthy and she would always have her loving family, but that quickly came to an end at the family vacation.

Everyone in her family decided that they wanted to do a gathering for about a week per say. They would invite their cousins and aunts, uncles and grandparents. They all just wanted to have a good time and enjoy each others company. Well, on the third day it’s what the family called “party day” where people would dance dress up and have a good time. Now people were probably having too good of a time and got so drunk they would pass out. Yes, drunk. The adults were playing pool, poker and any other types of gambling games. They would take shots and do shot challenges to see who could drink the most without getting drunk. You could even smell the weed and cigarettes just meshing in the air making people contact high, and then there were the people who were just well…high.

Now, where was the girl? Surely she must be enjoying the party? No, she was not. She was sitting in her shared room by herself buried in her book. She didn’t like parties, so she would never bother with them. She’d prefer keeping to herself buried in a book or playing dolls by herself. It’s what she loved doing. What she didn’t know is that everybody at the top of the boat would soon start panicking. Why were they panicking? Simple, one person was so drunk that when they tried to light a cigarette they dropped the lighter and set the boat a blaze. This boat was made up of almost entirely of wood so the fire spread quickly. The people at the top of the boat were running around frantically. Trying to figure out what to do, many of them were running into the fire, others were tripping because they were so high and drunk that the fell and killed themselves with broken glass bottles. And where was the girl during all of this? She was in her shared bedroom, her nose still buried in her book oblivious to the fire spreading around her.

The girl did smell smoke, but she brushed it off as it was probably just the cigarettes. From the deck you could hear faint screaming, but the girl just thought everyone was having fun. When she looked from the corner of her eye she could see a flame. That’s when it hit her. That’s when she realized that the boat was on fire and she had to get out. It was almost already too late. Her bedroom already caught fire and her only escape was to break the wood. So that’s exactly what she did, she hit the wood until her knuckles bleed and as the fire crept closer she had less and less time to make an escape. After what felt like hours of punching and kicking she finally made a hole big enough for her to swim through. The saltwater had stung her bleeding knuckles and when she turned around she saw the boat sinking with all of her family members.

Now you are probably wondering how did she survive? Luckily there were fishermen nearby who came to rescue her and bring her back to shore where she’d live in an orphanage for most of her life. And that brings us to “the present.” The girl sitting at her window with a scornful look in her eyes.

It was quite silent in the apartment, the occasional wood floor creaking and the howling wind which was quite annoying. Her apartment had a lot of cobwebs and dusty bookshelves and a dusty old rug. Her kitchen was older than her, much older it looked. Across the hallway was her bedroom with a messy bed that had stains all over it. It looked quite uncomfortable and it smelled even worse. The sheets and blanket haven’t been clean for quite a while. She would often get noise complaints saying she cried too much. From inside you could hear the church bells

ringing and school children playing. Oh how she hated it so much. Oh how she hated that her childhood was robbed from her so early on. All she wanted was her family, but no she had nobody. All she wanted was somebody to care for her and cherish her, but she didn’t have anybody. And everyday she would cry at the same exact time the church bells rang. Well one day the crying stopped. The apartment was dead silent.

If you looked hard enough through the window, if you looked closely enough through the window you could see a chair, and a rope as well as a girls body swinging and hanging from it.


March 11, 2023 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nathan Lee
20:58 Mar 22, 2023

Beautiful

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.