0 comments

Contemporary Friendship Inspirational

Martha met Joseph after high school, they fell in love and got married shortly. Though her mother tried to stop her she chose to follow her heart and marry the love of her life. He had promised to support her further her education. She did odd jobs in hotel but her husband asked her to leave her job so she could take care of their child when she got pregnant.

She had not attained a college degree and when ever she asked Joseph if he would support her. He always complained that their was not enough money to support the family and her studies. 

 On her way to the shopping mall to buy grocery for the house, Martha met with her high school friend. They had not seen each other for years since her friend Annabel had gone a broad for further studies and they had lost contact. She and Annabel were best of friends and shared their plans for the future but since getting married Martha had to stop pursuing her dream. 

 She was back in the country with her family and was happy to meet with her longtime friend. They hanged out and time to catch up for the lost years. 

 Annabel's cousin owned a modelling agency and she was willing to introduce Martha to her. Though Martha was 26 and had a child she still had a chance to start her career. Watching how her best friend was successful and how her husband supported her with her career and taking care of their two children she felt the Joseph didn't love her enough. He just want to keep her at home to serve his every need without caring how she felt.

 He didn't love or respect her enough to support her in accomplishing her dreams. She met Annabel's cousin and was offered a job. She was great full to her friend for the help and decided to change her life. After she signed a contract with the agency, she took her five year old son to her mother's place. She informed her husband that she was going to stay at her mother's since her mother was not well.

 She had to lie to him since he wouldn't let her go if he knew she was planning to leave him. After eight years of marriage she was willing to leave her husband for her dreams.

 Her mother and sister were surprised she chose to end her marriage since they had tried to stop her from getting married back then and she didn't listen. 

 Joseph was always busy with work and never thought his wife would leave him. He was surprised when he saw a TV commercial which his wife featured in. She looked beautiful and different from the woman who had been his wife for years. He couldn't have his wife parade herself in front of the whole world. He had made her leave her work as a waitress, Joseph couldn't let her serve anyone else and now seeing her on TV infuriated him. 

 She had stayed at her mother's for two months and always said that she had to stay, her mother was not well whenever he asked when she would be back. Now he knew she was lying to him all this time. 

 He went to her mother's place to get her but she was not there he had to go to the studio where she was preparing for her first beauty pageant. He dragged her from the changing room by the hair and took her to his car. She didn't know Joseph's as a violent person. He become a different person and though the security personnel tried to stop him they couldn't. She was stuffed in the car then he drove home without giving her a chance to explain.

 "Joseph your hurting me, please stop I'm sorry I lied to you please."

 "Your such a whore, you tell me that your mother is sick so you can parade your body for all men to see."

 "Its not like that, this is a descent job and you should be proud and supportive of my career. I want to do this, all my life have been dreaming of this and I finally got a chance."

 "No wife of mine is allowed to work. I can provide everything you need all you have to do is stay at home and raise my children. A wife should stay at home not showing herself off to all me. I'll get our son from your mother's place your not allowed to go out and meet that friend of yours or go to that agency again."

 "Joseph please don't lock me in, you can't force me to stay. Please stop, Joseph, Joseph please." Martha pleaded but he didn't listen. He locked her in the house and drove off. All the doubts in her heart were gone. She couldn't live with her husband anymore, though she loved him and would love to keep her marriage she had to walk away from it.

 She got the house phone, called her family and informed them about Joseph's reaction. She asked them to get her a lawyer to help end her marriage. She opened one of windows, got out of the house and went to Annabel's place to stay for the night.

 "Martha I'm sorry, this is all my fault."

 "No Anna, you didn't do anything wrong I choose this. You know I have always want to be a model and all you did is help me get the chance to."

 "But I shouldn't have introduced to my cousin, you don't have to leave you marriage like this, please."

 "I have held on for too long Anna and I can't take it anymore. He just wants to keep me in the house like a slave. We are in the modern world were women have a career. I never thought he would be so violent, that he would lock me in the house so I can't leave."

 "I know your hurt at the moment but Joseph is hurt to, you didn't tell him about your new job or the fact that you want to do this kind of job. Just give him sometime to cool off then talk and solve the issue calmly. Don't make decision now when your upset."

 "I know, but I made this decision when I accepted that contract. I knew he won't understand or let me work, I was only afraid to take this step but not anymore. After what he did today I can't go back and be his good housewife who has no place in the world. I owe this to myself and can't let him control me anymore. I'll meet my lawyer tomorrow and have the divorce papers printed."

 "Okay Martha, I'm you friend and will support you in whatever you decide to do."

 "Thank you for everything my friend and sorry for troubling you."

 "Its no trouble, that what friends are for. To stand by each other and support one another."

 Martha got her lawyer to send the divorce documents to her husband but he declined signing them. She had to move to another town to get away from her husband and concentrate on her career. She always let him see his son and let him stay with him on holidays but never once met with him. Though they had not officially divorced they chose to live separate life's.

 One year later he appeared at her door step, he had changed a lot over the months they had not seen each other. This time he was ready and willing to do everything to get his family back. He knew what he did to Martha was unforgivable but hope she would give him a chance to prove his love. After going for counseling and the help from his family and friends, he change his mind and behavior towards women and career. He was willing to support his wife in her career but sadly Martha was not convinced. She was not ready to go back to him and live the miserable life she did before.

 He tried for several weeks but she still didn't believed he had changed. He asked his family and Martha's family to help him convince her. They set up a family lunch at her home where he made a surprise visit and in front of everyone he asked her for forgiveness and promised to support her dream and if she would take him back.

 They got back together and started a program to educate the community on giving equal opportunities to women and fighting for women rights. They become a great team and supported each other.

November 03, 2020 09:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.