Well, that was dramatic

Submitted into Contest #123 in response to: Begin or end your story with “Well, that was dramatic.”... view prompt

6 comments

Romance Drama Friendship

Well, that was dramatic!!!

It all started a few years ago. One rainy bleak night I was

waiting for some guests to arrive from Melbourne. They kept getting lost. I was

getting anxious, so I went onto facebook to distract myself while I waited. I

saw quite a funny but misogynistic joke and left some sharp comment. Immediately,

some man answered. He answered quite kindly but I was irritated remember so I

replied sharply.  He was still quite kind

in his reply. So, I calmed down and started to chat to him.

We found we were quite compatible and continued talking to each other everyday. He was all of 10,000kms away across the sea but we got on like a house on fire. In the course of our conversations, he revealed all sorts of things about himself. He was highly educated, was well placed financially etc BUT, he was lonely. He had never been married nor had he had a girlfriend or a lover in his life. Never kissed a girl either. And he was 50 years old!!! So sad!!! I was horrified and decided to take him in hand and give him the ride of his life.

Checking out his FB profile, it was no wonder he hadn’t had any bites there. He had a pudding bowl haircut and stuck himself in some horrible wreath. So, the wreath went first. Then the haircut to a short back and sides…Very handsome. The I proceeded to teach him basic skills, how to talk to a girl, how to flirt, make eyes,make love etc. We had to start with entering a room oozing self confidence so everyone looked. I had to show him how to check out who’s looking back and interested. Previously, he would go up and ask some girl for a dance, usually someone with a boyfriend. Then he was humiliated and demoralised and would slink off home.

I took on the role of teacher and he was a very apt and willing pupil. Came along in leaps and bounds. We spoke everyday for hours and hours, very happy in each others company. We got along famously. So along the way, I changed the way he dressed and the pictures he took of himself and displayed. He was causing quite a bit of interest. In our conversations we covered his lifestyle. He was very attached to his mother. Looked after her and deferred to her in everything. He had a joint account with her that he had to be extracted from. The joint account was apparently for him to save for a house but his mother was judiciously divvying the money out to his sisters. She did not want him financial. His mother was also the one keeping him woman free. He had no inkling of that. So, when he mentioned to his mother that he was interested in a girl, she would slyly remove the girl from his sight. She would arrange a match for the girl with one of his friends. His mother wanted a slave for life and sacrificed her sons happiness and chance of a wife, children, home, quite ruthlessly.

There came a day, inevitably, that he confessed his love for me. I was so shocked, I literally fell out of bed. No, no, no that couldn’t be. I had kept suggesting lots of females on facebook and also acquaintances of mine and his for him to get close to and chat to but he had resisted. Anyway, I told him I was too old for him and all he felt was teachers pet love, but he was not to be put off. Eventually I realised that I loved him too. We started a starry eyed long distance romance. Very sweet, very poignant. This however brought down a lot of green slime from his mother. She would not let him talk to me or message me. She checked his messages, his phone, his emails. She offered him no privacy and the stupid downtrodden man accepted this for the sake of peace in the house. My children suggested that she was his wife to have that much power over him. He started to put together passport etc to get a visa to Australia to meet me and maybe marry me. His mother went into overdrive. She threatened to have a heart attack and die before she would let him go.

During this period, he started a few sites on facebook. When lockdown was threatening, he started a singing group to keep everyone interested and give them something to do. He was getting quite a lot of foot traffic through there. His newfound makeover gave him a great chance to meet other women. There was a lot of interest in his single status and women from all over the world expressed interest in him. Very flattering, but he insisted I was his one and only love. I was not worried, I trusted in his love. Also, I wanted him to have some experiences under his belt. I wanted  him to have real not virtual girlfriends. I tried everything to get him paired off with someone closer to where he was so he could meet and greet and wine and dine her, but he always point blank refused.

He got involved with other singing sites, some of which were competition sites where contestants could win a few dollars. Nothing magical, just a few dollars. He met lots of gorgeous women here. One in particular latched onto him. She looked similar to me but younger, thinner and more beautiful. I still wasn’t worried trusting in his love. However, he had not fully gotten rid of his tendency to pick the wrong woman. Her lying cloying ways had him mesmerized. She told him she needed the money as she was so poor and poor fool he fell for it. He started promoting her like she was a bitch on heat. Leaving hundreds and thousands of comments on her singing in a bid to show her as most popular . Didn’t work, she didn’t win but it did show him up as her  Jackass.

While he was acting like she was a bitch in heat and not thinking with the brain in his head, he must have felt guilt maybe. Also, he started asking me for money, in a rude manner. Probably to give to her. I refused to give him any. That plus his cheating heart plus all the drama with his mother took a toll on him and he decided to give me up. He blocked me on facebook and on his singing site so I could not see him making a fool of himself. I was frantic at that time because it didn’t occur to me that he was cheating on me. I still trusted him, stupidly. I thought his mother was doing something to him, perhaps beating him. I moved on eventually. That was the start of the rot.

To be fair to her, while she might have tried her wily, cloying ways to make use of him, it was the nature of the beast. Nothing special. But he had thrown away his self respect and dignity. He was a lying, cheating, crawling dog, trying desperately for her love and attention. Predictably, she treated him like the dog he was. She told him she was not interested in him and asked him if he was in love with her and he lied and said no, he had someone else. Hahaha, any port in a storm. And that’s when he raced back to me with her laughter at his back.

He decided to comeback to me like nothing had happened. Unfortunately, the rot had set in. I no longer loved him but there was a vestige of care still there. I allowed him back with reservations. He said ‘she’ didn’t mean anything to him, he did not love her. Loved me and only me. I was not buying it but he didn’t see that. I could not trust him. He had broken Trust and faith. I had no respect for that humping dog I could see whenever I thought of him with that woman. He promised he would block her and showed me the block. I was a fool and believed him. Then I found out that he had not blocked her fully, he was still watching her. I felt soooo sorry for him. I would have loved to have had her love him or show some interest but she did not care at all. He tried to assuage his ego with the fact that I was jealous. I wasn’t. I wanted only happiness for him and if that meant being with her, great but she didn’t want him. She went so far as to use him to procure men for her. It was disgusting.

We had a continual problem. I felt he wanted her but was trying to make the most of it by pretending not and  I could not stand the dishonesty and cheating. He pretended to block her again, but I’d learned my lesson and would not have it. I was ashamed to have anything to do with this humping dog. Everyone I knew had seen his futile attempts to pull her down her undies and try to get into them.

He would not get rid of her or block her so I sent him a final text to choose, either her or me. Still he resisted. Finally, he lost his cool and sent me a text…

‘ I love her style of singing, I love the songs she chooses, I love the songs she sings’ 

Well, that was dramatic!!!  Exit stage right.

December 04, 2021 05:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

PJ Aitken
21:11 Dec 15, 2021

This made me laugh quite a lot. Great story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Phoenix Osborne
01:22 Dec 14, 2021

This is a good story. She is so nice!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eric D.
03:15 Dec 12, 2021

That was great Wendy, this is your first published story but keep at it. I enjoy the way you write, it's a unique rendition of yourself and it has lots of personality. The story was very interesting too I couldnt put my phone down reading it because it was so raw and so real.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joy A
21:16 Dec 11, 2021

Hi Wendy! Well done. I'm leaving this comment to give some feedback I believe will be helpful. I'm by no means a professional writer. I joined this platform myself so I could improve and I think it's everyone's job to give helpful feedback. First off, I LOVE the concept of this story. I think imagination is very important in writing stories, especially fiction. You definitely have the imagination part down. I mean, an OVER controlling mother, an oblivious son with his own inherent problems? It's amazing you came up with that. There are also...

Reply

Eric D.
03:18 Dec 12, 2021

Just someone passing along who enjoyed Wendy's story too. Fantastic writing tips I'll steal for myself too! You're very sweet and very knowledgeable!

Reply

Joy A
04:28 Dec 12, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.