0 comments

Fiction Speculative

SLEEPWALKERS

Russell Overstreet awakened before dawn to a brave new world. He could barely sleep. A libertarian candidate had never been elected President of the United States. He smiled wistfully as he sat on his king-sized bed, propped against its headboard. As campaign manager for the President elect, he played a key role in the historic victory. Now, he could finally relax after an arduous campaign that propelled his friend and libertarian candidate, Prince Witherspoon, to the highest office in the land. It wasn't long before sunrise welcomed a mild Indian summer morning.

           He rose from his bed and opened the curtains. The streets below were bustling, despite the early hours. He was tempted to take an early morning run and relish the congratulatory cheers commemorating the historic election victory. But on second thought, he decided to sit on the chaise lounge chair situated in the corner of his bedroom and reflect upon the timeline leading to the election of the charismatic libertarian Prince Witherspoon. Finally, there was quiet time to just sit and reflect. The only sound in the apartment emanated from the kitchen, where his wife, Kathleen, was brewing coffee. Russell leaned back and ruminated on some of the events leading up to this historic election of November 2024….

It began in November of 2023. The nation was in chaos. President Wilson succumbed to the new COVID variant and died peacefully in his sleep at the age of 80, just eleven days shy of his 81st birthday. It would be safe to say that the year 2023 was a year of death and disaffection. Death reigned in the streets of the nation and fell upon the children of Gaza, Israel, and Ukraine. And death came upon a good man, a man who was doubted by his own political party because of his age. But Thomas Wilson was a man of principle to the very end. Like the character Winston, in Orwell’s 1984, Wilson believed in his heart that good would prevail over evil. Vice President Kamara Hill took the reins of the Presidency, becoming the first woman in American history to serve as POTUS.

           It was the sense of disaffection that gave impetus to the libertarian Prince, a self-made billionaire, and media mogul. Nine months earlier, Prince Witherspoon announced his candidacy for the Presidency. He was 42 years old. Russell was his roommate at Yale. Now, his numbers in the polls were soaring, commensurate with rising levels of disaffection permeating every segment of a divided nation. Prince Witherspoon knew that the key to victory was to procure the votes of millennials and Gen Zers, who were desperate for change. He had the capital to flood the airways with ads promoting the ideals of libertarianism and encouraging voters to shy away from political parties that could barely elect a Speaker of the House, much less get anything done in Congress. Prince promised a new vision for the nation. He offered an alternative to the status quo. Kamara Hill, the Democratic nominee, appealed to the constituency of the late, former President Wilson. The Republican nominee, Ronald Crump, was under indictment in numerous venues. His ardent followers never wavered in their support of his candidacy, which preached the mantra of Making America Great Again. The time was ripe for a new, charismatic leader, and Prince Witherspoon was an effective messenger as he spoke to the masses across the nation. Russell reflected on some of those memorable town hall meetings; meetings that spread the mandate for hope and prosperity in a new era of leadership. He leaned back and basked in memories of the past year’s events….

At a meeting in Ohio, a young woman held the microphone and spoke.

           “Mr. Witherspoon, I’m a 32-year-old who can’t afford a home due to rising costs and student loan debt. What will your administration do to help eliminate student loan debt?”

           “Thank you for that question. First, let me say that I am no stranger to student loans. I hail from humble beginnings, as many of you are aware of.  As a libertarian, I firmly believe in personal freedom, and hopefully, that precious freedom should entail home ownership. But freedom also comes with personal responsibility. That’s why my administration will forgive portions of student loan debt on the condition of commitment to home ownership. My Home Ownership Incentive Program will make home ownership affordable to many and stimulate an economy teetering on the brink of a recession, as the housing market has fallen recently to record low levels. I hope that answers your question.”

           At another meeting in Iowa, a forty something gentleman stood at the mic.

           “Mr. Witherspoon, our nation has seen so much gun violence in our streets. What would you do to reduce the number of guns available, and what are your views on 2nd amendment rights?”

           “Thanks for addressing a concern that keeps many of us up at night; and that is the ubiquitous violence that seems to be taking over our streets, whether in urban settings or suburban enclaves. I believe in the fundamental freedom to bear arms. I also believe that attempts to address escalating violence by reducing the number of guns in our midst, is the equivalent of placing a band aid over a festering boil.  What good is the band aid without addressing the poison within causing the boil? As a nation, we must address some harrowing realities. Increasing numbers of youth lack the requisite skills to participate fully, and productively in a fast-changing world. Our educational system has failed them. That’s why I have invested in my Project Hope Charter School Program in New York City. You may not be aware that buildings for schools are scarce in New York. Our charter schools occupy the same buildings as the traditional schools, but in separate wings. This year, 96% of our high school students graduated and plan to attend college, compared to 55% of their cohorts who are taught in the same buildings and live in the same neighborhoods. Our schools teach holistically, infusing the fundamentals of grammar, logic and rhetoric with emotional intelligence. We believe that education is the key towards the empowerment of our youth, and a corresponding reduction of violence in our streets. Our penal system also needs reform towards facilitating ex-felons in becoming productive citizens. They shouldn’t be barred from gainful employment, voting rights, or student loan assistance. How many of these disenfranchised individuals resort to violence and subsequently return to prison due to lack of opportunity? There are no easy solutions, but my administration will work diligently in promoting and implementing policies aimed at minimizing the sources of violence in our communities.”

           At another venue in Washington, DC, a woman who appeared to be in her late sixties made an angry proclamation, which was followed by a question.

           “Mr. Witherspoon, I retired after 40 years of dedicated service. I am an American who has tried to do the right things. But now, even with my healthcare coverage, I have to spend $300 per month for just one of my meds. Yet, we’re letting these immigrants come in left and right, and they get their meds free of charge, and housing allowances. How is this fair, and what would your administration do to end open borders and bring these outrageous prescription costs down?”

           “I appreciate your concerns. Allow me to address the immigration issue first. As a libertarian, I believe that restrictions on immigration are an infringement on the inalienable rights of immigrants. After all, we are a nation of immigrants. Unlike many libertarians, I do not, and my administration will not, advocate for open borders. As President, I will adopt much more discriminatory policies on who is allowed to enter our nation. Now, with respect to healthcare, please believe that immigrants have nothing to do with the rising costs of medicine. Both the Republican and Democratic parties have stymied free markets. Healthcare prices would decrease, and the quality and availability of healthcare would increase if providers were freed from government meddling and control. As President, I will facilitate free market growth in the healthcare industry and work towards making prescription drug costs more manageable.”

           And there was the GenZer who addressed climate change during a town hall meeting at UC Berkeley.

           “Mr. Witherspoon, members of my generation are concerned with the existential threat of climate change. What will your administration do to arrest global warming?”

           “Great question, and thanks for asking. Truth be told, our political parties have subsidized the ethanol industry, destroyed the nuclear industry, failed to regulate the American logging industry, and has continued to subsidize the gas guzzling auto industry. My administration will advocate for healthy and clean ecosystems and responsible use of our natural resources. We will utilize nuclear energy and abolish regulations for wind turbine and solar panel installation. As President, I will deregulate the auto industry. Currently, auto manufacturers who are pro-clean energy have to be subjected to safety tests costing millions of dollars. I will end these restrictions which inhibit the development and production of clean energy vehicles.”

           Prince Witherspoon was the answer, and he had all the answers to the concerns of a disaffected majority of the population. It was a glorious victory….

“Russell, wake up!!” Kathleen’s voice rose as she attempted to awaken her husband from a drunken stupor which began the previous evening.

           “Wow, I must have been dreaming”. Russell got out his bed and sat on the edge, holding his head in his hands, laboring from a hangover. Kathleen brought him back to a harsh reality.

           “You need to go down to campaign headquarters, so get showered and dressed. Prince is giving his concession speech in an hour. Crump won.”

           “How in the world did this happen? Damn, I had one hell of a dream that Prince won. What happened last night?” Russell had a befuddled look.

           “We were watching the election results from headquarters. It was so close, the closest presidential election in decades. At around 2 am, the results were still undetermined. We came home. Don’t you remember? Anyway, you were so nervous that you imbibed in a few too many spirits. You fell out on the sofa. Williams and I carried you to the bedroom where you fell into a deep, drunken sleep. He left and I stayed up until 5 am, when Crump was declared the winner.”

           “But how did Crump win? How did Hill do?”

           “She lost by two million votes. Only 25% of millennials and GenZers showed up at the polls. Their votes for you compromised Hill’s numbers, and Crump prevailed by a nose.”

           “Jesus Christ, this can’t be happening.” Russell had a look of utter despair and disbelief. Kathleen went to the kitchen, then returned with a cup of hot, black coffee.

           “We were sleepwalking, and that kept us from seeing what could come about. We trusted the millennials and GenZers to cast enough votes to favor Prince, and all it did was hurt Hill, and hand Crump the victory.”

           “Sleepwalking, huh? I pray that’s what I’m doing now and will shortly awaken from a horrible nightmare.”  

November 13, 2023 18:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.