1 comment

LGBTQ+ Sad Fantasy

“Phee.” 

“Phee it’s time to wake up.” 

“Phee!”

“Goddamit Phee would you just wake up?!” I yelled, more worried than angered but I couldn’t help the immediate response. It was nearly noon, the sun filtering through the crystal skylights and casting rainbows about the room. 

Phee was princess of the human kingdom of Valda, and I was her maid servant. I didn’t exactly like the job and the only reason I took it was because I would die if I didn’t. I was a fugitive from the crown. The first reason for that was my heritage. I was a druid. 

Our peoples had been in a state of war for centuries. We used to live in harmony, our magic and their ingenuity working together to create great cities. 

Then the humans found magic of their own. It wasn’t drawn from light like ours was, but instead from darkness. We never figured out how exactly they created their sorcery, but we did know that it made them greedy and cruel. Without the need of our magic, they cast us out of our homes. We fought for months before fleeing to the forests. The humans seemed okay with our new residence for a while, but about 20 years ago they began chopping down trees and any of us they found. 

Besides my status as a druid, I was also a pickpocket, roaming the human cities and stealing knick knacks to sell. Not very honorable but it was my way to survive. Not that I was good at it, I had never been the best at gauging my skill level.

Several weeks ago I spotted a noblewoman with what was practically a small army around her. She was bedazzled with jewels and I took the challenge. I did manage to grab some gemstones and gold off her, but not long after I was spotted and chased down by her guards. 

Said chase resulted in my near death. One spear had gone through my shoulder, somehow missing my lung and any bones, and another had gone straight through my thigh. The bone had been shattered and despite druid magic making my healing move along quicker, I still had a slight limp. 

Phee had saved me. She brought me back to the palace and I honestly had started to like her. She was kind and funny and she always made sure I was okay and comfortable. Becoming her maid servant had been a last ditch effort to keep me from getting executed and it had worked. 

I narrowed my eyes at the princess’ sleeping form. The annoyance I was portraying was defeated by hands which were definitely not shaking. 

She was not a light sleeper. She was usually up at the crack of dawn, dragging me out of bed to do god knows what. But… I whipped my head around to look at the clock. 

After a moment of hesitation I put my hands lightly on her shoulder and shook her. 

“Phee, holy shit wake up.” 

My heart stuck in my throat as I turned her over. There was- there was a hole in her. It was on her side, deep and freely bleeding now that the pressure was off of it. Her dress was still perfectly intact despite the blood. What the actual fuck? 

I looked at her face, far too pale beneath her dark coloring. I pressed my fingers against her neck, relief flooding my body as I felt her pulse flutter. 

I quickly grabbed one of the blankets off her bed and pressed down on the wound. That elicited a reaction and she gave a breathless scream. 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” I babbled, voice cutting out as I pressed down on her shoulder to keep her still. 

A few seconds later she had quieted and I closed my eyes against the sudden onslaught of tears. What had- who- 

“Kyrie?” The small mutter of my name had me wrenching them open again to look at Phee. 

I nearly froze as she pushed herself up to sitting, a whimper she tried to force down coming out and I carefully helped her up. 

“Phee?” my voice wavered as she pulled the blanket I had been using as I compress against the wound again. 

Her head clunked against the headboard and I thought for a moment she may have passed out but that was debunked by the whisper of a swear and my eyes widened. Phee never swore. Never

After a long stretch of silence she began to push herself off the bed and my body acted on instinct, grabbing her shoulders and slamming her back down. 

She moaned and I apologized, guilt swimming in my stomach as much as confusion. 

I looked at my hands, whiteknuckled and clutching desperately onto the sheets.

“Kyrie, it’s okay.” 

I nearly yelled, “It’s not okay, there’s- there’s a hole in you.” 

“I know, I need you to go to my wardrobe and grab my med kit okay?” Phee’s voice was even and my brows creased further.

“What the shit Phee?” 

She winced at my tone before sighing, “I’ll explain in a moment, just-” her words stopped as she sucked in a harsh breath, face going near white and I forced my body to move, walking to the wardrobe and digging through it until I found her medical kit. I set it on the bed and she gave me a small smile, “Now help me get this off.” 

I helped her get out of her night shirt, leaving her in just a bra. I couldn’t help the blush that spread across my cheeks but I shook my head. 

I lowered her gently back to the bed and she closed her eyes, chest heaving. 

Her next words were practically just gasps, “There’s a piece of metal in it, you need to pull it out.” 

“Phee what?” 

“I got mugged, it’s- it’s not a big deal.” 

My eyes flashed, “You got mugged?” 

“Kyrie, just please-” she gestured to her side and I shook my head, trying to calm the raging questions flying through it. Why was she mugged? When was she mugged? How the shit did she get a piece of metal lodge in her side? 

I raced to her medical kit, riffling through it. What was I looking for, I wasn’t sure but I was gonna find it. A pair of tweezers unkindly pricked my finger a moment later and I pulled them out going back to Phee and rolling her onto her side. 

“Some of my pain potion would be nice.” Her words slurred together and I cursed before running back to the medical kit. 

My stomach dropped, “There’s none left.” 

She cringed and I shook with guilt. It was gone because I had drunk all of it when I was hurt. 

She shook her head against the pillows, “Jus’- jus’ do it.” 

I picked up the tweezers and placed my free hand on her side, just below the wound. I saw it. The piece of metal. I began lowering the tweezers, they barely made contact with the metal and Phee recoiled. My heart was pounding in my ears and I dropped the tool, hands shaking. 

“I can’t do it.

“I can’t.” 

“Kyrie.” Phee’s gentle call had me rushing back to reality. I was on the floor, I gathered quickly. Tears ran down my cheeks and I quickly wiped them away before standing and going back to Phee’s side. 

I shook my head, hiccuping as Phee grasped my hand, “I can’t do it.” 

“Kyrie, it’s infected, it needs to be taken out.” 

“I’m hurting you!” 

She bit her lip, “Yes, but you’re also saving me. Please, Kyrie.” 

I shook my head again and she sighed, her head turning so she could look me straight in the eye, “You know I’m your friend and-” She broke off with a sigh and my heart fluttered, “But I’m also your princess. I’m ordering you to take it out.” 

I trembled and Phee squeezed my hand. 

“I know you’re not good at following instructions but please, your whole job is to do what I say, so take it out.” 

“I don’t want to hurt you. I’m- I’m scared of hurting you.” my voice was tight and my throat only constricted more as I saw the fear flash in her eyes. 

Phee took a breath, eyes fluttering closed, “Just do it.” 

She let go of my hand and I took a deep breath, my hand shaking as I picked up the tweezers. I commanded it to stop and to my surprise it did. 

Without thinking anymore, I slid them into her flesh. 

February 26, 2022 02:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

17:32 Mar 12, 2022

Nice story, I held my breath, while she was being helped.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.