0 comments

Fiction Suspense Teens & Young Adult

It was 8 PM, the wind was howling outside, and you could feel each blow through the open window that was next to us. The sun was slowly setting, and the view made this restaurant way better than it already was. It was cold outside, but the warmth of the well-lit restaurant felt amazing. We both had a warm, cheesy potato soup It was still to hot to eat, so we kept on switching our gazes from the bowl to the window…

...and to each other.

But who was he? Who was I? We were sitting at the same table for the past hour. How do I realize this just now? I tried to remember how and when we came here. Or who “we” were.

I could tell the same confusion out of him through his eyes, that had a questioning look. We kept on staring at different things. It definitely felt awkward. After a few more minutes of pure silence, the waitress came and asked if the meals were alright, and if we wanted something else. Perfect timing. This could throw of the awkward silence. But right when I wanted to answer…

...he did the same.

“It’s great!”.

“It’s great!”.

The same words felt like an echo, doubling each time we looked at each other again.

This must have been a coincidence, right? Before he could say something again, and before the waitress left due to the awkwardness, I asked a question.

“Where are the toilets?”.

“Where are the toilets?”.

The same sentence echoed once more. It’s as if it was a curse. The waitress looked at us weird, but quickly responded: “They’re right there”, she pointed at the black doors in the corridor “, feel free to use them”.

We definitely would now. We both need a way to escape this madness. Before I could be free, I stood up and made my way to the corridor. But before I could go inside the toilets and wash my face, I saw him stand up, and walk at the same time. In the same direction. Was he copying me? This was really getting annoying.

Seemingly, we both had the same decision: we went back to our table. We were staring at each other with this disgusted look. I definitely wasn’t doing this on purpose? Was he?

Our soups were cold as the outside now, and the warmth feeling disappeared. This great night would be ruined now. We kept on switching glances. What else was there to do? I quickly grabbed my spoon, and tried eating my cold soup, that did not taste good at all. But it was at least a different activity than staring at each other for no reason. My head was down, and I was staring into the soup.

After having my mind back in place, and looking up, I saw him do the same action as I was doing. He was eating soup. This was getting even more annoying each second. If I can’t talk or interact with him in any way, and if he will do the same actions as me, at least I should enjoy myself. I wanted to order a different meal, the soup was too cold for my taste.

After ordering and waiting for my noodles, two plates came. One for me, and one for him. It seems like he did a hand gesture right after the waitress left our table, to show that he wants the meal as well. Why does he have to copy my every move? We firmly grabbed our forks, and pulled our plates to ourselves as close as we could, as if we were fighting now. Both of us had begun eating faster and faster. Taking bigger bites each time. But both of us were doing it at the same time.

Our meals were finished, and we went back and ate the cold soup to show our “rivalry” which I don’t know how that formed. For the time being, we were done with our meals (the only thing you would be at a restaurant for), and we had stopped staring outside. It was still cold out, and it was raining. I think I had to say it now, it’s been enough.

“Who are you?”.

“Who are you?”, he repeated my question once more.

We were sitting, and eating at the same table for the past 2 hours, but we still don’t know each other. This couldn’t be true. Was I experiencing a blackout? And why were we copying each move the other person was doing? I was reaching my limit, and I wanted to just leave the restaurant without saying a word. He would probably “follow” me, but I wouldn’t even care at this point.

“You don’t know me?”, he asked, but my body quickly responded with the same question.

“You don’t know me?”. What was going on?

Did I know him? Or did I not? I did not want to continue this “conversation”, so I left it at that, and pulled out my wallet. After dropping some money onto the table, I grabbed my jacket. I was making my way to the exit door, but as you could tell already, he was walking with me as well. I tried not to think about that.

We were both outside now. The rain and thunder were picking up heavier each moment. The cold air was hitting my face, and I realized that I should’ve worn more suited clothing. It was in the middle of winter either way. But that wasn’t important, I was getting carried away. The actual issue was us. If I were to walk home, would he follow me as well? Or why did I even repeat his sentence just like he did with me? Something weird was going on, but before I could think more about it, something hit me. I couldn’t quite grasp this feeling. It was a sudden burst like when you have a déjà vu. This couldn’t be true.

“Jeremy?”.

“Michael?”.

June 29, 2021 14:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.