3 comments

Mystery Drama Coming of Age

"MEETING" Andrea shouts angrily. Lilith is first to rush to the living room scowling at her four siblings. Her sister Narcissa pushes her off the couch with a wicked smile. Mara struts in rolling her eyes "What Andrea?" She gives them a chilling look. "Keep it down, He's outside." Das and Sloane just then hurry into the room. Who? Andrea levels her voice. There is a group of exchange students visiting for a few months. To keep up our image, we have to shelter a student here. An eruption of groans flow out of the living room. Andrea's face turns red, QUIET! A faint knock stops the conversation. Andrea whispers, Stay in character. They all throw on a smile. Andrea takes a deep breath and opens the door. A chipper boy smiles at Andrea. "Dia dhuit!" Hello this is our family! What's your name sweetie? Sean.

Tá áthas orm bualadh leat. Andrea opens a translater but Sean just laughs "I know english I was just messing with you" Andrea turns her head for a moment clenching her teeth. Come in dear. Sean gracfully walks in. He looks around, You have a wonderful home uhh Andrea. She nods along. Why don't you meet my children. Sean smiles and follows Andrea into the main room. She sees all five kids looking at her happily. Andrea glares at them while Sean isn't looking. But quickly they look bright and happy again. Introduce yourselves Andrea whispers. They quickly begin to introduce themselves. The boy begins "Hi I'm Das I will be bunking with you"

They go in a circle. I'm Narcissa she twirls her hair and batts her eyelashes. Andrea furrows her brow. I'm Sloane she nods her head politely. The circle continues. I'm Lilith but you can call me Lilli. Lilli smiles and giggles quietly. Andrea's expression hasn't changed. I'm Mara, she quickly curtses. Sean nods Nice to meet ya. Andrea twirls around to face Sean, Das will show you to your room. Das stands up, come on buddy. All the girls except Sloane are still smiling like ditzes. Andrea snaps her fingers "Don't fall for this boy, if any of you tell him anything, I will play dumb to the police and you'll be in the backseat in a flash, don't test me." They nod mournfully. Sloane isn't faised. She just puts her leather jacket back on. The girls fly in different directions. Sean comes back out of the room, Youv'e got a nice bedroom he sighs. Tell your Mam thanks Mam, Mum the word is sour in his mouth. He remembers what she did and he remembers what he needs to do. Sean looks at him "You alright mate?" Das flys out of the trans. Totally fine. He remembers his line, I have to work on my college application I applied to Harvard and Yale. Sean looks like he is about to burst out laughing , Why are you so well mannered? You can just be loose with me mate. Das almost breaks, he wishes he could but the thought of loosing his Mum? He couldn't be selfish like that. He smiles This is how I-I truly am Sean have a.. he look at his hand uhh a splendid evening. Sean walks into Narcissa and ara';s room by accident. They are in the middle of a cat fight. As soon as they see Sean they pretend to hug. Narcissa smiles, Mara has somewhere to go why don't you come in. Mara clenches her fists and stomps away. Narcissa nuzzles up to Sean. He stops her. What is wrong with this family? There seems to be some unspoken tension. Narcissa nervously smiles. Nothing is going on. She sharply looks at him. He is already on to them? It didn't matter if he was cute, they had to get rid of him one way. Or another. Narcissa needed time to think. Get out. Sean tilts his head. Huh? Excuse me I mean could I have a minute pretty please? Sean nods and shuts the door lightly. He walks into the hallway still unable to remember which room is his and Das's. He accidently enters Sloane's room. In the usual situation Sloane would be listening to pop or country music secretly. But today she had to keep on her persona and listen to classical music, sometimes Andrea makes me sick she thinks to herself. Sean taps her on the shoulder. He smiles, your Sloane right? She nods. What was she supposed to say when he came to talk to her? Oh right. You really must go, I musn't turn my homework in late. Sean just rolls his eyes. Not to be impolite but seriously what is with you guys? Sloane blushes "What-dodu-you-mean?" He laughs. You just seem kinda. I don't know fake? Like all you do is just an act to try and hide some secret. Crazy huh? Sloane looks away dieing to let out the truth. She is starting to like this guy. What've she just gave him a hint? No Andrea would find out.

Why don't we do something fun? Sloane considers this. Her thought is interrupted by Andrea. KIDS, DINNER! They all crowd in the hallway. The spell of casserole is wafted at them. They all sit down. Sean sits down in between Sloane and Das. Andrea prays the blessing. Sean begins to eat they just all watch him not speaking. eventually they start to eat. After dinner to Seans suprise everyone just went to sleep at 8:00. He went to Das's room and fell asleep like everyone else. While he was sleeping Narcissa was sceheming.

The next morning Sean woke up early. He waited until the rest of everyone woke up. He just watched the sunrise. Das woke up about two hours after him. They got ready. It's Saturday. Sean ate breakfast by Sloane again. They hung out all day. Once the sun began to set they walked home together. She couldn't take it anymore. She has to tell him. He looks at her. At that very moment she cracks. WE ARE A BAND OF CRIMINALS POSING AS A PERFECT FAMILY. Sean slaps his leg "Your funny Sloane". Her eyes are full of dibelief. I am not kidding. Sloane's solemnly serious expression says it all. Sean's expression shifts. YOUR A CRIMINAL???!!! She puts her finger over his lips. "Hush Sean." I'm not a criminal. My father was. She looks into the distance getting ready to tell a story. He had been an addict since my birth. One day he got so high he....was arrested. He murdered my mother. A tear runs down her face, and I accidentally helped him. Look all of the "'March family" hyas either committed a crime or been accused of one. Andrea, a criminal mastermind took us in. So now were posers. Sean looks stunned, we've gotta call the police! Sloane gives a nervous laugh. Slow down there hero, It's not gonna be that easy. You rant to Andrea about some Irish tradition and I'll keep all the real criminal kids occupied. The rest I will let go. Sean looks over at Sloane, your so smart. SHe blushes. Go get Andrea quick! Sean rushes back home. He grabs Andrea's arm. Have you ever really lear ed about Irish culture? Sloane laughs, stage one done. She enters each of the children's rooms and tells them dinner is on her if they get in the car. She stops Das and Mara. She simply says "It's time". They know what she means. Everything is set. Just as Sloane locks the crime kids in the car a spine chilling voice come from behind her. "SLOANE WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" She zips around to see an aggravated Andrea and sheepish Sean. Andrea takes her phone out. I told you not to test me, and I meant it.

October 20, 2020 21:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Bareera Samra
12:42 Oct 30, 2020

Nice story. everything went so smoothly. great work!👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brennan Bilberry
22:03 Oct 30, 2020

Thank you! I always appreciate any feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brennan Bilberry
16:00 Oct 26, 2020

Sorry for the grammatical errors.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.