1 comment

Romance Fiction Friendship

“So, how was your day?” Neil asked his wife Lois as they sat at the table to eat dinner.

“It was fine. I finished up at the office early and met Sara for lunch.”

“That sounds nice.”

“We decided to try out that new café on Birch Rd. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's a fantastic little place. How about you? How was your day?”

“Like yours, I suppose. Only worked half a day and went to the driving range to hit a few golf balls with Ben.”

“It’s funny, I was thinking about Ben earlier today,” Lois said.

Neil shook his head, “Nope.”

“What?” Why are you saying “Nope” when you don’t even know what I was about to say,” Lois asked.

“Because I do know what you are about to say. You are going to suggest setting Sara and Ben up on a date.”

Lois stopped eating and looked at her husband, “Ok, so what if I was going to say something along those lines? Why are you already saying no to it? I think they would be great for each other. And the more I think about it, the more I see what they have in common. They like golf, the same movies, games, fishing, hell! They both do photography for a living. I think you should rethink your “Nope.””

Neil shook his head with a smile, “I’m not saying no because I think they won’t get along. I’m saying no, because neither of them would be willing to give a blind date a chance. Trust me, I tried.”

Lois raised an eyebrow at that statement, “You tried?”

Neil sighed, “Yes, a few times. Neither of them is willing to be set up with someone. They both blame it on previous bad experiences.”

“What about inviting them over for a game night or maybe a cookout? I’m sure the two of them would hit it off well.”

Neil surprised Sara by laughing out loud.

“What?” she asked.

“First, the two would be weary about it being a set up, they always think I’m scheming something.

“You usually are,” Lois said, cutting him off.

“That’s beside the point. Second, let's think about how the two would act in front of one another.”

“What do you mean?”

Neil just stared at her for a moment, letting her imagine the two in a room together for the first time.

“Oh, that would be awkward.”

“Exactly, the two of them become very weird when trying to flirt. They almost become an entirely different people.”

“Yes, a very strange person at that. They would scare each other away,” Lois said with a look of horror on her face.

“And that, my darling wife, is why they are still single,” Neil stated.

“How sad.”

Neil nodded as he continued to eat, but Lois spoke up, “So… why hadn’t you come up with a plan to get them together.”

Neil squinted his eyes, “You mean, why haven’t I schemed something?”

Lois nodded.

“Because they are friends, and I’m always honest with friends. Lying to friends is not something I do.”

“Well, you don’t need to lie. Just be creative,” she said with a mischievous grin.

“My dear Wife, are you encouraging me to…”

“I am encouraging you to do what needs to be done for the better good,” she told him after cutting him off.

Neil smiled and nodded at his wife before continuing to eat his dinner. The two ate in silence, which was unusual, but Lois didn’t mind; she knew the wheels in Neil were turning, and she would wait quietly until he came up with a plan.

The silence was broken when Neil reached for his phone about fifteen minutes later. Lois listened intently as she tried to hear the other person on the phone.

“Hello!”

“Hey, Ben.”

“Hey Neil, what’s up?”

“Well, I’m going over some details of a new project I’m working on, and there is a job I can use you for if you’re interested?”

“Of course, what do you need?”

“I need you to take photos of a client, but I need you to do it secretly”

“Secretly?” Ben questioned.

“Yes. I will send you the client’s schedule

“Hey Neil”

“Hey Sara, you have a moment?”

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“Well, I was just sitting here with Lois talking about a project I’m working on and I am in need of a photographer.”

“Yeah of course, what’s the job?”

“I need you to take pictures of a client of mine when he is unaware.”

“Umm… OK.”

“I know this is a strange job, but I can reassure you that the person being photographed is fine with it.”

“So, they know someone will be taking pictures of them?”

“No, of course not, but they know they are part of a project that will require them to be photographed. Just like the contract I will send over to you. It says you may be photographed in the coming month without being prompted, just something standard in everyone’s contract who is involved in this project.”

“What kind of project is it?”

“It’s a personal project, I don’t get much out of it but I am hoping pays dividends to all who are involved in it.”

“Even the photographer?” Sara asked with excitement in her voice.

“Absolutely!”

“Alright, send me the details and contract, and I’ll look it over.”

“Alright, I’ll send it later tonight,” Neil told her before hanging up the phone.

Neil put his phone down and looked at his wife with a smile.

“Well, this is going to be interesting,” she said.

Ben received his contract late that night. He looked over the details and signed it. The pay wasn’t great, but he needed the money, and it was for a friend. He sent the contract back and about forty minutes later received the details of his job. For the next two weeks, he would receive updates on where his target was. He was to take pictures of the target that captured the true beauty of someone doing everyday things. He also relieved a picture of women he would need to photograph. He would be lying if he said that the woman’s appearance didn’t make the job more exciting for him.

Sara received the contract at the same time as Ben but was editing some of her work, and it took a little longer to get to it and read over the details. Like Ben, she was hoping the pay would be higher, but she also needed the money and was grateful for the opportunity. She looked over the papers and signed them before sending them back. Ten minutes later, she got an E-mail with her target's photo and a description just like the one Ben had received.

“Good looking guy,” she said to herself as she printed the photo.

Ben parked his car and looked around. He was in an empty parking lot of a small strip mall with a few shops, none that he recognized. He checked the address again and ensured he was at the right location. He was at the right place, so he grabbed his camera and waited.

Ben wasn’t given much information, just the address and approximate time that his target would show up. He was an hour early, but as time passed, more and more cars started pulling into the parking lot.

Ben watched from the opposite end of the parking lot with his camera in hand. He grew curious about what was happening because most people getting out of their cars were wearing some kind of fantasy garb. He was entertained by the people showing up and almost missed when Sarah arrived.

He saw her pull into the parking lot in her little red car with the window rolled down. He started taking pictures immediately and was excited to see what she was dressed up as or if she was dressed up at all. His jaw dropped when she stepped out. She was dressed in a blue corset with a short pleated mini skirt and thigh-high boots. Ben suddenly felt a bit wrong taking pictures of this girl without her knowing he was there. It didn’t help when she turned and bent over to reach into her car and grab her witch hat and magic staff.

Ben thought he had taken some amazing photos of Sarah, but when he finished, he became curious about what was going on inside. He grabbed some random things in his car and made a cheesy makeshift costume. He walked into the shop and saw it was a huge tabletop gaming center.

It had been years since Ben had played any tabletop game, and he felt an urge to jump in somewhere and play. Instead, he looked around and saw Sara having a great time. As he watched her, he started feeling attracted to her but knew he couldn’t say anything.

Sara found a cozy spot in a dark corner of a bookstore. She was wearing a hooded sweatshirt to blend in and help hide the camera she had on her. Unlike Ben, she researched the address where she was given and the event taking place. She was surprised when she learned he would be attending a book club. His photo made it look like he spent more time at the gym than anywhere else. She also learned about the book they would be discussing; she thought it was interesting and had read it before attending. To her surprise, the book was amazing and made it to her top five favorite books.

Sara sat and watched as people started arriving. Ben was the third to arrive, and she almost didn’t recognize him as he was dressed better than she expected. She immediately got to work and started taking pictures. She got some great shots and knew she could leave but became involved in listening to the discussion of the book. She felt her anger rise as she listened to one of the women there go on about the main and all the things he could have done. She wanted to jump up and explain why the character did what he did or slap the woman and ask her if she had even read the book, but she couldn’t do anything but sit and listen.

The woman finishes by asking Ben his thoughts. Sara held her breath, waiting for Ben to answer. She was praying that he wouldn’t have the same opinion as her, and to her relief, she heard.

“I’m sorry, but I completely disagree with you,”

Sara felt like Ben was her hero at that moment and became attracted to him even more as she listened to him explain his opinion of the story. She felt the same way he did and wished she could ask him out for coffee to discuss it further, but she couldn’t.

Over the next two weeks, Ben and Sara fell for each other without saying a word. Ben photographed Sarah at the gym, the beach, biking, and fishing, while Sara photographed Ben at the farmers market, dog park, hiking, and rock climbing. During this time, the two overheard each other’s conversations and learned much about each other. Both had an overwhelming urge to talk to the other, but neither would, and both blamed it on the agreement with Neil that they were to be caught taking pictures.

After the two and a half weeks ended, Sara and Ben each provided Neil with a book of masterfully edited photos. Neil and Lois looked through the photos and couldn’t believe how good they were for being taken in random places. It was a testament to how well each of them knew their craft.

The moment was cut short when Neil received a call from the local police station asking if he would accept a collect call. He did and heard Ben’s voice on the other line.

“Hey, Neil.”

“Hi, Ben.”

“I made a mistake and could use your help?”

“Does this mistake have something to do with why you are calling me from a police station?” Neil asked.

“It does.”

“What happened?”

“I'm not sure how much time I have to explain, but the short answer is that I was caught photographing Sara. I tried to explain to the cops it was for a job, and she was aware and unaware at the same time, but I just confused them and was arrested.”

“Why were you taking photos still? The job was over?” Neil asked.

“Yes, and it’s a funny story. You see…” was all Ben had time to say before the call ended.

Neil shook his head and looked at his wife.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Ben was arrested for taking photos of Sarah, I'm not sure of the details because the call was cut short, but I’m assured it’s a funny story.

“But they were supposed to be done with that. Next was you arranging a perfect meeting for the two.”

“I know. I’ll find out when I get down to the station and ask him in person.”

Neil was getting ready to leave when his phone rang. It was the police station, and he was asked for the second time that night if he would accept a collect call.

“Must be Ben again,” he told his wife before answering it, but it wasn’t.

“Hey Neil,” Sarah said.

“Well, hi there, Sara,” Neil said in a tone that was surprised but not surprised.

“I have a small problem, and I can use your help.”

“You wouldn’t, by chance, have gotten arrested for trying to take pictures of Ben and then tried to talk your way out of it only to make things worse for yourself. Even though the job is over with?”

“Did someone contact you already about the situation?” she asked.

“No, Sara, they didn’t. I just had a feeling, but I'm heading that way anyway, so I will see you in a few minutes,” he told her before hanging up the phone.

Neil grabbed the two photo books from the table and headed towards the door.

“Why are you taking them?” Lois asked.

“Because I think the police station will be the perfect place for them to meet each other.”

“I can’t miss this,” Lois said as she jumped to her feet and grabbed her coat and followed Neil out the door.

Ben sat quietly in his cell next to Sara’s. The two leaned against the same wall but on opposite sides of it. Ben was the first to be let out of his cell, as a guard opened the door and guided him to a room with Neil, his acting attorney. Ben sat and said nothing, just waited for Neil to speak.

“Do you know why you’re here?” Neil asked.

Ben looked down, feeling ashamed, “I know it sounds like I was stalking Sara, but I wasn’t. I was just hoping to talk to her. I was going to ask you to introduce me, but after the huge speech I gave you last time, you wanted to introduce me to someone. I didn’t think that would be an option. So, I found out where she lives and was going to knock on her door and say hi, but I realized that would be creepy, so I decided I would try to bump into her one morning accidentally. I went to pull away when the cops showed up. I tried to explain that I was there to photograph someone with them, knowing but not knowing, but it just got weird, and they arrested me.”

Neil sighed, “You were parked in front of a fire hydrant. When the cop went to talk to you, you started talking nonsense, and the cop wasn’t sure if you were on drugs or up to some criminal activity.

“I’m only here because I parked in front of a fire hydrant?” Ben asked.

“And because you sounded like a crazy person when all the cop did was tap on your window. Now, take this back to your cell while I get things in order for you to be released.

Neil handed Ben the photo book Sara put together and watched him get escorted out of the cell.

A few minutes later, Sara was escorted into the room. She sat in front of Neil and gave him a sheepish grin.

“Do you know why you’re here?” he asked.

She ran her fingers through her hair before confessing, “Because I took things too far. I followed Ben home one day, and for some reason, I thought it would be a great idea to just bump into him one morning, accidentally,” she said, making air quotes.

“So why were you at his house tonight?”

“Well, an accidental bump can happen at night. I was just there seeing if an opportunity would present itself. Then I saw his dog watching a butterfly and went to take a photo when the cops tapped on my window. Next thing I know, I am being taken in.”

“You were double parked, with half in a handicap parking spot. The cop was going to let you know, but you started speaking, and like someone else, I know you sounded crazy and like you were up to no good.

Sara’s jaw dropped as she heard why she was arrested.

Neil gave her the book and told her the same thing Ben had told her. Sara opened the book and looked to Neil to ask a million questions, but he just waved as the cop dragged her away.

Neil and Lois watched from a distance as Sara was escorted to Ben’s cell. They were both told that they were free to go, but instead, Sarah entered the cell and sat with Ben. They talked for over an hour until the chief kicked them out and forced them to go on their first real date.

July 13, 2024 03:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sarah Miller
21:44 Jul 17, 2024

Hay Michael. Don't hate me but I will suggest running this thru Chat GPT for its general suggestions. The tons of dialogue in the beginning is hard to follow, hard to stay engaged in, and pretty unusual for me in a short story. I think it could work with some engaging descriptors around the dialogue, or if the dialogue-free spaces were more evenly dispersed amid what essentially feels more like a script. ooh also i just found this free course on dialogue here on Reedsy: https://reedsy.com/learning/courses/editing/the-mechanics-of-writing-d...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.