Love Compensates Tragedy

Submitted into Contest #122 in response to: Write about a character who’s stuck in a shopping mall.... view prompt

1 comment

Romance

As people were entering the Mall they heard something that sounded like gunshots coming from inside the Mall. Evan and his fiance Carol had just come inside the main door, The gunshots started up again and two more shots were heard.

It was 10 AM and the Mall had just opened. As people followed into the main entrance the sounds of gunshots throughout the west side of the mall were strong. The east side of the Mall seemed to be quieter.

People were running and screaming and holding on to their children not knowing where to run to be safe.

As Evan grabbed Carol's hand they ran toward the jewelry shop which was closest to the main door, The man who owned the shop recognized Evan and quickly let him and Carol inside and told her to go to the back of the store where his office is. He told Evan to hide under one desk and Carol u der the second desk to be safe. He was just about to slam the office door shut when a gunshot went off

breaking the large glass window in the front of the store.

Evan came from under the desk and tried to reach Carol. Another shot was fired this time injuring Evan. Carol ran to his side but the shop's owner grabbed her and told her to "lay low", "But Evan was hurt" she cried II have to help him." "No, you cannot leave this shop . The police, firefighters and ambulances are trying to get to the many different shootings throughout the entire Mall." Carol was hysterical crying

but she peeked out to see Evan on the floor surrounded by blood.

Since the jewelry shop was near the main entrance from the Mall a few men from one of the hospitals placed Evan on a stretcher. Carol begged to ride with the ambulance but she was not allowed to go. The men quickly placed the stretcher in the ambulance and drove away. She was in such a dither she did not ask which hospital they were taking Evan to.

The shooting appeared to stop but so far no one knew who was shooting and why. People still in the Mall were sitting on benches and on the floor. Many were afraid to move thinking the gunshots would begin again.

Carol was lucky she wasn't shot but emotionally she was a mess. To think the love of her life was severely injured was too much for her to bear.

In the days following the shooting Carol was occupied trying to locate one of the several hospitals that Evan might be in, She also contacted the police to get information on the terrible shooting, All she learned was that the shooters took random shots . There were also three or four shooters that have not been found or named, She also tried to meet personally with police officers at the Mall as well as hospital authorities.

One afternoon Carol visited a small hospital a few miles from her home. She asked to speak to the hospital director and in a few minutes this lovely lady named Ann who was the director came down to speak to her. She took Carol into her office and explained that another hospital was called to accept Evan as he needed special surgery on his femur as well as surgery on his left arm damaging his elbow. That is why he ended up in our hospital. The surgeon in this hospital is one of the best you can find.

Evan was still in ICU but the doctors believed he will be strong enough in a week for the surgery. The director told Carol Evan sleeps most of the day but in a few days she will be able to see him.

Director Ann also promised to give Carol a daily report over the phone until she will be able to visit him.

Every day Carol wrote a love letter to Evan hoping he will read them as he recovers. Carol also met with Evan's family and Even's mom was delighted that Carol would be her daughter-in-law as soon as Evan will be fine. His mom is aware of how much they love each other and that love should help him recover quickly.

The surgery was successful but Evan was still in a lot of pain. Carol

was allowed to visit him and she would sit by his side and hold his hand as she told him how much she loved him and what a good life they would have as soon as he recovered. She asked if he ever read the letters she wrote to him but he just blankly stared at her, Evan was supposed to start rehab in a week or so but he did not seem anxious to go. The nurses told Carol that when people are severely

hurt even though they were told they would recover they go through some depression as well as post-traumatic stress. The doctors and nurse assured Carol that in time Evan would be himself again.

Carol continued to visit Evan each day and slowly she is finding that Evan is talking somewhat about his injuries. Evan did tell Carol he loved her but he also said he was afraid that Carol would find him not able to do all the things they loved to do together. He was fearful he would walk with a decided limp and have a cane to support him. He believed he could never raise his arm too high and that would embarrass Carol.

A few days later Carol watched him doing exercises in rehab. He appeared to be doing fine. When he was finished with his session Carol walked with Evan back to his room. Carol sat with him and said "We have to talk". "About what"asked Evan. "About us" was Carol's reply.

"Evan I want you to know that I love you very much and see you as a kind, sweet, smart and wonderful man. You are the only man I ever loved and I want to be loved by you. I have no fears if you need a cane for support as you walk or as an arm to reach up. If it happens that we cannot do all of the same things we did together we can find new adventures to do together. Think about it. We are still the same people that we were before the tragedy. I love you and I hope you will always love me and we will always be together."

Evan looked at Carol with tears in his eyes. "Carol" he replied I was afraid that you would not see me as I am now. How foolish I was to think that. I truly love you and I know we will always be together."

Six months later Evan and Carol walked down the aisle together.

His cane was nowhere in sight and he held his arm around Carol as if he would never let go.

November 29, 2021 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Yves. ♙
08:36 Dec 06, 2021

You fit so much in 3,000 words-- a whole lifetime, in fact! Nicely done.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.