0 comments

General

I blinked as something flashed in the bright morning light. I raised my hand to shade my eyes as I saw something spark and glitter as it fell behind a snow bank with just one small shiny end sticking out from behind the snow.


 I frowned, my forehead wrinkling and walked through the wet exposed grass where the snow had melted in the bright spring sun, to examine the strange object.


 I stooped to retrieve it and as soon as I touched it disintegrated into a dozen little golden lights and a sudden breeze fluttered through my hair. I closed my eyes and a voice whispered through my mind. " You must follow your destiny. Go while the door is open, to become who you were meant to be." 


 I opened my eyes and saw a large open circle in front of me. Its edges seem to crackle and spark with a golden fire. I did not question the voice though I could see no one around. Telepathy, portals to different worlds, magic? I thought gazing through the portal at a majestic landscape or snow, mountains and giants trees of blue and orange which seemed to touch the purple sky.


 I exhaled and saw my breathe from the cold coming through the rift. I grinned and wrapped my arms around myself dgripped the sleeves of my jacket, I stepped through in to the beyond. I vaguely heard the portal hiss shut as a very large wolf type creature barreled toward me.


 I gasped and threw myself sideways landing on my side in the snow and then I scrambled behind the nearest tree and squatted down, I turned to see if it followed me.


 The black and blond colored wolf spun to a halt a few feet from me. My heart thundered in my chest. I shoved the sleeve of my jacket against my mouth in an effort to quiet my breathing. 


 I watched as the creature raised itself on two legs and turned to face the direction it had come from just as another one of its kind leapt into the clearing, its red fur a starke contrast against the snow. They both began growling and barking as they circled each other.


 Then suddenly they leapt at almost the exact same instant slamming together in the air and falling to the ground in a blur of fur and claws. I blinked suddenly realizing I needed to get out of there as soon as possible. I looked at the trees behind me and bit my lip, I pulled my hood up and tried to quietly sneak away through the trees hoping to find civilization and people.


 I watched my breath fog before me and I shivered. My jacket was not near enough to keep me warm. I had been walking for what seemed like hours and my fingers, toes, and nose were numb and I was worrying about frostbite and hypothermia.


 Fear of the wolf creatures had spurred my flight but now the cold had drove them mostly from my mind. I was slowing down and stumbling, no end to the trees in sight. "God help me." I mumbled making my lips split. I hissed through my teeth raising my hand to my mouth. "Ow." I whispered whining. I stopped walking and leaned against a tree. I closed my eyes and put my back to the tree and slid to the ground. I leaned my head back exhausted. So is this my destiny! I thought angrily, to die of hypothermia before I even get any answers in a world not my own. 


My energy was fading and I felt myself slipping into darkness. I heard a voice in the dark. "No this is not your destiny." And I gasped, splitting my other lip, as someone (something) picked me up and ran carrying me through the snow. 


"Mmmm." I said, or thought, it was hard to tell as things were getting hazy , if I was able to vocalize it or not I didn't know. I pushed myself into the soft warm fur and rubbed my face back and forth. I smiled as the blackness finally claimed me

 I woke and moaning and snuggled into the warmth of the furs I was wrapped in, smiling contentedly. Then my eyes flew open suddenly as reality set in and fear gripped me! Where was I? Who brought me here. I was safe and warm and dry and.. I gasped as I realized I was wearing nothing but a large shirt that did not belong to me and the fur blankets in a large comfy bed. My face burned as I blushed. I frowned angrily as I saw the large muscular man who stood observing me from the corner of the room leaning nonchalantly against the wall. I became momentarily distracted my his naked muscular chest, every inch of skin from his neck down to the waist of his pants was covered in tattoos. I shook myself and returned my gaze to his face and gripped the blankets tighter.

 "Who are you?! What am I doing here and where my clothes?!" I growled at him. He raised an eyebrow. I am Onyx I fought and won the right to bring you to the Seer. You are in the Seers domicile and your clothes are drying." He smirked at me and I frowned, "Is this your shirt?!" I demanded. He nodded. "The servants are bringing you some clean ones more in your size." I opened my mouth to say something harsh but I suddenly felt his emotions. He felt protective toward me and I somehow knew he would never hurt me and he would do anything to protect me and there was something else I couldn't identify. I felt drawn to him and like I just needed to touch him. "Thank you." I finally whispered. "For loaning me your shirt, I mean." He pushed off from the wall and the look in his eyes as he approached both thrilled and frightened me. 

 I felt pulled as if I was a marionette on a string, I crawled out of the bed and stood. " All that is mine is now yours." His eyes never left mine as he lifted me from the floor his arms under my butt. I wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist.

 The door opened and he growled deep in his chest. "She is mine!" And pushed his mouth against mine and i whimpered as my split lips stung. He pulled his mouth from mine and proceeded to lick my lips easing the pain until it was gone. I pushed against him slipping my tongue in his mouth. He growled and I felt the vibration in my chest and my mouth.

 Then a woman's voice cut through the haze of passion. "Oynx you must wait to mark and claim her. She needs to understand who she is and why i called her here." I growled this time as he began to pull away. "Who are you?!" I snapped. Which was totally out of character for me. Two people where with her laying out clothes and food. My stomach growled and Onyx's grip tightened on my waist as he lead me to the table and the woman answered my query. 

 "I am Trysta, Seer of the Rionock people. I am the one who opened the portal and called you here. You are the one who prophesy has foretold will save our people. If you so choose you will be our queen. And it seems you have already found your mate." 

And she chuckled. I dropped into the seat in shock. I looked from her to Onyx and then to the delicious smelling food. This is the craziest and best dream ever. I thought and began stuffing my face while trying to wrap my mind around it all.

 "Ok, so what's the catch. If this is not just a dream then there has to be something not so awesome about it" I said waiting for the "bad news" part.

She smiled briefly. Then sighed." Yes there is more." She preceded to tell me of the war between the Rionock and the Vitori. And who the Vitori were. Basically it seemed they were vampires and the Rionock were werewolves. I had stopped eating and was looking at my plate. It all felt surreal.


"Once you are dressed and finished getting acquainted with Oynx, I will show you the Vitori and what they do to our people. It will not be pleasant to witness. If you decide you cannot do this I will open a portal home for you. Now i will take my leave." She nodded to Oynx and gestured to the servants to follow her. I sat in stunned silence as she left. I looked to the gorgeous man standing beside me. He looked sad and maybe a little scared. I opened myself to him and felt his fear of me leaving and his sadness at the war and that if I stayed I would be part of it. I couldn't bear to feel and see his sadness.

 Rising from my seat I went to comfort him. I stepped in front of him placing one hand on his chest and caressed his cheeked with the other and then ran my fingers through his waist length black hair. I then stood on my tiptoes and looked up to his face to kiss him. He obliged me and bent to meet my kiss. He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me higher. I felt no reservations or fear to give myself to him, heart and soul. We were connected and I knew we were meant to be together forever. I felt his sadness recede as he felt my complete love and acceptance of him.

 He carried me to the bed and laid me on the pillows. "Will you be my queen and my mate and fight by my side until this war is over or we go to the Big hunting grounds in the sky? It felt ceremonial as if we were getting married. I hesitated only a moment as I looked into his beautiful hazel and blue eyes. " You don't even know my name." I whispered. He smiled. "Yes I do. I can read your mind Natasha, and when we are bonded you will be able to read mine as well. I know you can already read my feelings." He smiled again trailing his fingers down the side of my face and down to my throat where he started kissing me and running his tongue along my chin and down the side of my neck. I groaned and shivered digging my fingers into his back. He growled and bit my shoulder. I cried out arching my back my eyes rolling back. "Yes! I wanna be yours!" I exclaimed as he brought his mouth to mine, our tongues entwined as he pushed his hard naked body against mine. I screamed in ectasy as a bright golden light flashed in my head and I felt something shift inside and our souls were joined. He howled digging his nails in my back. "Forever" , I whispered and he howled again as I accepted my destiny.

 

March 31, 2020 14:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.