0 comments

Fiction Romance

The forecast was perfect for a weekend on a boat. John was so relieved. "This weekend I will not think of my job, nor would I take a phone call or e-mail letters to my clients. This weekend I will take my girlfriend Mary for a two-day trip on my very comfortable sailboat". I told Mary I would pick her up at 7AM on Saturday for food and drinks for the next two days. Mary was as excited as I was. We would enjoy two days in the sun sitting on lounge chairs reading, talking together, and sleeping. We took time for lunch and then jumped into the ocean and swam. Each of us put on full-face snorkel masks to see coral reefs and marine animals and plants.

Mary and I have lots of fun together. We have the same likes , we read many of the same books. We enjoy traveling to remote islands and dining in new places. Although we like each other a lot I do not think we have thought of marriage yet. Mary might be ready but I am not.

As the sun was going down we sat and watched the sunset. The reds and yellows of the sunset looked like a beautiful picture that should be hung on a wall.

When darkness started coming we put on our dancing clothes and drove the boat into its slip where we jumped off and met with many friends of ours.

Everyone was laughing, dancing, eating and drinking and having the best time. Slowly as the evening fun died down we all said goodbye and walked to our boat slips.

Another heavenly day began on Sunday. A Pastor had come to the dock and gave a short but meaningful sermon. After that we had a big breakfast at the mariner then a wonderful time jumping into the ocean, lounging on the deck reading and enjoying some hugging and kissing.

Mary thought that John would propose marriage during the weekend but the proposal never came. Mary was hoping that another good weekend with just the two of them would constitute a proposal. Again the proposal did not come.

For some reason John had a bad night sleeping at home on Sunday night. He dreamt about his parents and the many arguments they had. He remembered how difficult it was as they were going through a divorce. One of the reasons he was fearful of marriage was the action from both parents. There was no time for love because they were always at opposite ends. John woke up in a sweat. His dream about his parent's divorce upset him greatly. Should he propose or not propose? He knew he loved Mary and she loved him but he was still afraid to take the step toward marriage.

Monday morning he got out of bed and showered . All the while thinking of Mary. He grabbed some juice and toast and walked to his car. "Oh no" he said. Now I have a flat tire. Gosh the odds seem against me today."

He was late getting to the office . He made some phone calls then sat at his desk and started to read the e-mails he received. One e-mail after another asked for written instructions on their newly purchased home gym sets. Before he looked at the last email he pulled out typed instructions so he could send them to the people who wanted them.

The last e-mail he received stated "URGENT - PLEASE READ" He quickly printed it out and saw it was a letter to him from his mother. He could not imagine what it was that was so urgent that he had to read it immediately.

The letter began:

Dear John,

I realized when you told me about your dream the other night that I should give you some insight into your Dad's and my marriage. I am doing this because I have seen you many times with Mary and when you are with her you alway have the biggest smile all over your face. I see that smile when you talk to her in person and or hearing her when you talk on the phone.

I know you had a difficult time understanding our marriage and the divorce. Please keep in mind that my relationship with your Dad was different than any you would ever have.

The first few years we were happy together. Then Dad was called back into the marines. When he was honorably discharged he started to show signs of stress. He could not find a job that he liked, He had trouble sleeping and then although he tried he could not find a happy place for himself. I did not understand what was happening to him and I was at fault for arguing with him when he really did not know what he was supposed to be doing. He left me because he felt I would get caught in his depression and he never wanted that. That is why Dad is no longer here.

When I saw you with Mary yesterday I only saw two happy people very much in love. Mary adores you and I know you certainly feel the same toward her.

Please live your life differently than mine and your father's. Do not be afraid to love and be loved.

That is what I hope you understand the more you are withMary. Talk about your feelings and listen to hers. I can assure you your marriage will be wonderful for both of you.

With my love and blessings Mom.

"Wow" John said out loud. "that was a strong message and I am so glad my Mom wrote her story. I do love Mary and I am beginning to see where my fears were coming from. I will share this email with Mary and I believe that Mary and I are in a good place and I can feel a proposal coming soon with all my heart.

I am so thankful for my last email delivered the same day to me at my office. The more that I think about it I feel that I am more grateful to have received that email. My life can only change for the better.

September 01, 2021 22:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.