0 comments

General

January 17, 2015

My life is normal, if maybe a little boring. I live in a tiny city in rural Wisconsin. It’s lovely and idyllic and everyone I know seems to be so happy here. But I feel trapped, as though I’m wasting the prime years of my life.

What is wrong with me? Why can’t I just be content? I dream of traveling the world, of living outside of the Midwest, of seeing what else is out there.


June 25, 2015

I’m not sure what to do. I’m suffocating in this small town and the feeling gets more intense by the day. But making a change is terrifying. Am I capable of moving on and venturing into the unknown?


June 27, 2015

Well, I did something impulsive. I’m going on a trip to Argentina! I googled flights, there was a sale and before I knew it I had purchased a ticket. One problem - I’ve checked with everyone I know and no one can go! I’m terrified of traveling alone. 


September 10, 2015

Aaaaaah I’m at the Chicago airport! I’m scared and I need to distract myself or I won’t get on this flight. I could just pretend that I went by finding pictures on Google, posting them on Instagram, and hiding in my apartment. No one would ever need to know... 

But no, I really do want to go to Argentina. I’m going to entertain myself by any means necessary. 

So far I’ve tried eating a massive cinnamon roll, but that only burned five minutes. I attempted meditation in the yoga room, but I’m too anxious for that on a good day. Pacing and listening to a podcast seems to work best (although I’m worried that other passengers will think that I look insane).

But I need to do whatever it takes to distract myself until the flight starts boarding. 


September 12, 2015

Whew! I’m on the plane. Let me tell you, it was touch and go for a while. 

This is going to be a long journey. It’s a total of about 24 hours of travel time spread over three flights (and a looooong overnight layover in Lima). I hope that I’m prepared. I’m so nervous I think I might puke. I can actually feel my heart beating like it’s trying to break free of my body.


September 13, 2015

I’m in Argentina! I got a solid 3 hours of sleep and I’m ready to rock. First up, an overnight bus trip to Mendoza (wine region!).


September 13, 2015

This has been an absolute rollercoaster of a night. In preparing for this trip I did a lot of research. When I looked up the bus station, I found reviews claiming that the bus station was a bit seedy.  So I arrived early to make sure I knew where I needed to go. I figured that if it was truly scary I could wait outside. Well, it was gorgeous - new, sleek, and clean. There was a Starbucks! I even took some pictures as proof that it was modern and beautiful (nothing like the reviews said it would be). There was a board that listed departure times but my bus wasn’t on it yet. I decided to kill some time, read a book and buy a coffee. I was afraid of something going wrong, but this seemed to be going smoothly.


About 20 minutes before my bus was supposed to leave, I looked up at the board and still didn’t see it listed. I peered closer and this time happened to see past the board, to what looked like railway tracks. That’s when I realized that I wasn’t at a bus depot, I was at a train station! A shot of adrenaline went through my body and I felt suddenly on fire and then very cold. I swiftly exited the station and frantically looked around. I happened to spot a backpacker who seemed to be confidently heading somewhere. I started a quick pursuit, hoping that he was a fellow traveler. And success! He led me to the bus station. 


I barely had time to register that the station was, in fact, fairly sketchy. At this point I only had 15 minutes until my bus was supposed to depart and this place was massive. There were hundreds of little offices, many platforms, and at least a thousand people milling about. 


I had purchased a ticket in advance through a company called Andesmar. I hoped that if I found someone from that company, they would be able to direct me to my bus. I ran up to the first window I could find and asked (in Spanish), “Do you know where I can find Andesmar?” They directed me to a window only a couple feet away. Feeling immense relief, I walked up...only to see that it was closed! 


The person in the adjacent office let me know that Andesmar had another office...upstairs and towards the end of  a very long hallway. Even though I was wearing hiking boots, carrying a big bag, and wearing a giant backpack I started sprinting. By the time I arrived at the next Andesmar window I was wheezing, red and sweating. I finally got my breath back enough to stand upright and ask them where the bus was supposed to depart, but the words caught in my throat - this window was closed as well. Frantic, I turned to the office next to it. I was so panicky that I desperately reverted to English. When they told me that they didn’t know where to find Andesmar I felt like I might cry. But, after thinking a moment, they recommended that I check with the information desk on the ground floor.


I felt simultaneous anger and relief - there was an information desk?!?


I ran down to the information desk and they immediately let me know where the platform was for Andesmar. It was only about twenty feet away. I got in line and glanced at my phone, I arrived with five minutes to spare. I was sweaty, stressed out, and had enough energy to run a race, but I had made it.


I found my seat and was so thankful that I sprang for a first class ticket. It was only $20 more (which, to be honest, is a lot for me but this was worth every penny). The seats were massive and made of a plush material, I sunk back into it with satisfaction. I stared out the window as we pulled out of Buenos Aires, trying to calm myself down.


Then the staff handed out sheets with numbers on them and little plastic sticks. I wasn’t exactly sure what was going on. They started calling out numbers and I realized that it was bingo! I happily attacked the paper every time one of my numbers was called.


I didn’t pay that much attention to my progress until I realized that I only had three numbers left. I never win bingo and I figured that everyone else had to be getting close too. I started to sweat a little when another of my numbers was called and I was down to two spots. Suddenly, one of my last numbers was announced, I only had one left! I held my breath and, then, unbelievably they called my last number, I had bingo!!! Oh no, this had all been in Spanish - what if I didn’t actually have bingo, I just thought I did?!? Also, I was on the lower level of a double decker bus - I wasn’t even sure where the announcer was located. 


I said bingo but no one heard. I tried speaking a little louder and the people around me turned in their seats asking if I had bingo. I nodded and then my level of the bus started shouting “she has bingo!” The people around me pointed me towards the upper level of the bus and I walked up the stairs where I found the person who had been leading bingo. He beckoned for my sheet and I handed it over for him to review. It would be so embarrassing if I was wrong, he’d let the whole bus know, I’d look like an idiot, and I would be on the bus with everyone for...only 15 more hours... He finished going over my sheet and shouted out to the entire bus that...I did indeed have bingo! Sagging with relief, I headed back down the stairs. He called me back and when I turned around he was looking at me like I had three heads. “Don’t forget your prize!,” he exclaimed. In his hands was a bottle of wine! Clutching it, I rushed back down the stairs and my whole level of the bus cheered for me! 

A night that started out so terribly ended up being fantastic. I also felt proud and strong that I had handled it on my own.


October 1, 2015

I’m on the plane ride back home. The rest of the trip was phenomenal. I traveled by bike between vineyards in the wine region (which was as magical as it sounds). I visited the sprawling Recoleta cemetery in Buenos Aires. I went out for asado. I stayed in hostels with views of mountains and others that had pools and backyard bars. I swam in a hot spring. I met people from all over the world. 

I also spent a full day hiking on a glacier in Patagonia. It was like stepping on to another planet, a world that I didn’t know existed here on Earth. It was wild, beautiful and breathtaking. 


March 3, 2016

It would be an understatement to say that the trip to Argentina was life changing. It made me realize that my urge to adventure, to try new things and meet people is one of the very things that brings excitement and joy to my life. While it’s great that other people are happy staying where they were born, it’s okay and maybe equally great that I need to see what else is out there. 

Beyond that realization, my trip also instilled confidence in myself. I was incredibly nervous to travel to Argentina alone and I was so scared of not being able to handle it if something went wrong. But I did it...and loved it! I made it through multiple flights, I hiked on a glacier, and I took care of the bus station fiasco (which could’ve been a major disaster). 

It made me think that if I could fling myself into that experience and thrive, what else could I do?

Which is why I’ve jumped into another adventure, this one bigger and more ambitious than any I’ve attempted before. I’ve moved from rural Wisconsin to Portland! It’s my first night here. I don’t know anyone and I’ve never lived alone, but I have a good feeling about this. 

April 10, 2020 22:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.