0 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Sad

She lost everything but somehow managed to gain comfort from the only thing she taught herself to love, or probably became obsessed with, after the death of her family. 11th January 2021, it is so simple to say and vividly remember the occurrences but they are shattering. So much that Maya suffered from severe post traumatic disorder. She didn’t need anyone’s help because according to her, she had no one.

Two weeks earlier, her whole family, except her decided to fly in a parachute. It was their first time but her dad promised everything would be okay. She still remembers his assuring words in a deep, calm voice shat she never got tired of hearing but she will have to get used to his absence. She insisted on being left home because she has height phobia which made her eleven-year-old brother make non offensive jokes aimed at her.

She remembers everyone laughing at her which pissed her off and she run to her room not knowing that would be the last time she would not only see them alive but also hear them laugh.

Thirty minutes later, Maya was scrolling through her phone when she heard a thud, almost as if an aircraft had crashed.

She decided to mind her business and sit tight but after minutes of intense screaming from her neighbors, she decided to go check it out, after all, she had nothing to lose.

She slowly walked outside only to find people running towards her neighbor’s house. She took a few steps closer and the first sight almost made her lifeless. The colorful parachute her family was in was partly hanging on the neighbor’s roof.

Her phone slipped out of her hand as her eyes were glued on the colorful patterns. She tried running towards the site but she couldn’t. Every part of her had suddenly became numb. A sharp sting of tears turned to continuous crying and screaming seconds later and she couldn't contain it anymore. It was her family in there and she didn't know whether they were alive or not. She involuntarily fell on her knees still crying and screaming, she was hitting the ground so hard that she started bleeding. If not for Mrs. Wendy who came to her rescue and comfort, she would have done worse.

Her family unfortunately passed away and The funeral was a week ago but there’s not a day she hasn’t visited the cemetery. Yesterday however, something happened that will probably change her life for god. She was lying on her mother’s grave crying when suddenly a bearded dragon showed out of no where and rested on her dad’s grave. It looked at her unblinking which made Maya curious and scared at the same time. 

She accepted the challenge and stared back at it. The animal was an adult, golden and with amber eyes just like her. 

She wiped the tears on her cheeks using the back of her hand and slowly stood while still staring at it. 

The animal looked down when she approached it but looked at her again when she squatted next to it. Maya was confused, it was not moving or trying to defend itself from her. She had only seen such an animal in pictures but it looked quite scary in real life. She looked around but there was no one. Just her and the wierd animal, she didn’t know what to do next.

She looked at her father’s name, then her mother’s and then finally her brother’s. She couldn’t help but cry again then look at the animal which was still looking at her.

She slowly lowered her hand while maintaining eye contact with the bearded dragon and finally touched it. Its skin was so rough but it felt kind of right. The animal still did not move.

She run her index finger on its back which somehow gave her a comforting feeling. She cautiously lifted it and rested it on her left palm and using her right hand, she run her fingers on its body. She looked down at the graves and for once since they died, she smiled.

She took the animal as a gift from her family and decided to keep it as a pet. Her walk back home was a short one since she had company. She pet it until she got home and didn’t stop until she went to bed.

The feeling of touching its skin reminded her of her own life. She is alone, stressed and certainly going through very rough times.

Maya decided to name her new friend Gin. She used the first letters of her family's names to come up with the name, in their remembrance. Her father, Gilbert, Isabela her mum, and Noah her brother.

Today, she hasnt let Gin go for a second or take him out of her sight. She is sitting on the floor where she spent the night still petting the animal. Her messy hair is all over her face and she prefers it that way. She has grown to hate showing her face to the world because she should be with her family wherever they are, laughing and creating more memories. She should have flied with them and she certainly wouldn’t have walked away on them.

The poor animal tries to free itself but she doesn’t let it. She holds it tighter fearing that if she let it go, it won’t come back and she will be all alone again.

Her phone rings in her pocket but she doesn’t bother to look who is calling. She holds Gin close to her chest and lies down again. 

A few minutes later, there is a Knock. She opens her eyes but still doesn’t bother waking up. She hears the door slowly open and then there are footsteps towards her. 

A pair of black stilettos appear in front of her forcing her to look up. It is Mrs. Wendy. She squats next to Maya and gently moves hair from her face.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Mrs. Wendy asks in a low and soft voice but doesn’t get a reply.

“Who is your new friend?” She asks after seeing Gin almost buries inside her palms.

“She is very beautiful but looks like she needs some air.” Mrs. Wendy says referring to Gin.

“It is a he and he is fine here.” She says angrily.

“Whatever you say darling but has it eaten. Have you eaten? You both look weak." She says but Maya is silent which answers her.

“What should I get the two of you then?”

“I don’t know what he eats.” Maya answers in a weak voice crying.

“Sssh its okay honey. We will figure that out. Sit up.” Mrs. Wendy says trying to help her.

“We will get you something to eat okay? Where did you get him?”

“My family, they gave him to me.”

Mrs. Wendy is speechless. Maya seems to be obsessed with this animal and her condition is getting worse day by day. She is afraid the animal might die if not well taken care of making her more devastated.

She helps Maya sit on the couch and goes to prepare something for her in the kitchen. Maya is still holding the animal close to her chest which makes Mrs. Wendy confused. 

Maya suddenly has a weird animal which she claims she got from her family and she has never been a pet person. Either way, she is going to get her help because she needs it.

Its all in her head that her family gave her the weird animal but if that is what is going to make her the old happy, naughty, smart, friendly Maya who didn’t suffer from post-traumatic disorder, then so be it.

January 29, 2021 21:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.