9 comments

Drama

“By the time I stepped out side the leaves were on fire”I selected this prompt because my coming in the practical life was just as the leaves were on fire,especially for those who were my opponents,not politically but economically.I was managing a hotel in Islamabad,pakistan.It was very Well reputed. It’s room occupancy was always hundred percent. There were many hotels, big and small, but my business style was different from others. I dealt my customers as my own friends and relatives.so all the customers were very happy and were feeling pride to stay in my hotel.Actually every business has its own secrets and I knew how to make a customer satisfied.One day I received a quotation from the Government Information Department of  rooms for the boarding of about hundred journalists .I filled the Quotations and send it.After a month they approved my quotations and had given me the privilege accommodating the journalists. So, I prepared the rooms for them.I was very excited getting that business.I still remember it was April 20 1982.The delegation arrived and we gave them a warm reception.At four O’clock after noon, they all left for shopping.They were mostly men. When they came back to hotel,one of the customer shouted that some body has stolen Forty thousand rupees from his room .All the group came to me.I told them the rule of hotel business that heavy cash or belonging were not allowed in the room.There were also written cautious in the rooms and the receptionist ,for the safe side, also asked the customer about keeping some valuable belonging with the manager. The valuable amount and belongings should be deposited with the manager but they were all blaming the hotel management.Eventually police came and they started pressuring us. A great mess occurred. In the meantime one of our regular customer came to me and said that your hotel is very well reputed,and this incident would be a stigma for the hotel,so he offered to lend me the amount,He would be paid later ,but finish this tensions. He lent me forty thousand and I gave the receipts, the problem solved .Actually my hotel had a thriving business but the same day i had cleared all my dues,so I had a short fall but I knew that customer was staying with us from the last one month and he was trying to get American visa and to get American visa was a long and hectic process and I would easily repay him the amount. Few days passed, early in the morning I get informed by my accountant that customer leaving today about Two O’clock he would be leaving for America,and  is asking for his amount.At that time we again had a short fall of Twenty thousand .I was very highly perturbed,that if we didn’t return the amount to the customer would be sure that we all are fraudulents. In the meantime I saw that customer arriving from his room towards the Reception.He came to me smiling and shook hands with me and all the staff members and bade farewell.I was astounded that with out receiving his amount how will he go?I quickly asked the Accountant ,He smiled and said “Sir,God helped us,that Receptionist David is my relative,He wanted to proceed to UAE,the Recruitment agent to UAE is close friend of mine.I asked David to give me Twenty thousand rupees that Recruitment agent had demanded,so a while ago he had given me the amount and that amount I had given to that customer and dispersed him.Accountant also added “ it is true that the Recruitment Agent informed me about the money but I would not give him the amount soon because there is great fraudulent going in the Recruitment business, I would first satisfied myself ,make my self assured than I would give the amount to the Recruitment Agent.In two days I would separate David’s twenty thousand rupees from the daily cash, don’t you worry.”.I became relaxed.David was very excited,” Sir, you know I’m proceeding to UAE,I would accumulate great wealth there,than I would get married and also build a beautiful house.Sir ,I hope next month I would leave and Sir I would send an expensive Wrist watch to you ,You been very kind to me”.so few days more one day as I get in the hotel reception,I saw David crying.I thought that David came to know that the accountant dodged him and he didn’t give amount to the Recruitment Agent.I worriedly asked David of his disturbance ”Sir I’m ruined, see this newspaper that Recruitment Agent to whom the accountant given the amount for my proceeding to UAE, is being arrested last night.He was a great fraudulent.Now my amount is also being drowned. My father would kill me". David again started crying. In the meantime David’s father came and slapped David “you bloody and started beating him with his both hands.I mediate between them.It was good that there was no customer at that time ”Where is the accountant”, asked his father. Sir this accountant of yours is my relative and we have a great friend ship,He became my enemy, I don’t know why did he do like this,I’m running a small shop,these were my total saving in life which the Accountant given to the Recruitment Agent.” I was also got perturbed that if the accountant had given the amount to the Recruitment Agent,it would be very difficult to get the amount back but I knew that accountant is a nice person and intelligent,He didn’t have given the amount without satisfying himself.I brought his father to my office and made him sit and started waiting for the accountant.After half an hour the accountant came ,David and his father lept on Accountant like a tiger. Accountant how Will I get the amount from that fraudulent,He is now behind the bars and would take years now,we want our amount back, We have given to you .They both caught the Accountant from his coat lapels. ”Sir are you watching them? they with out listening me ,they are making false ideas,they are my friends and relatives,by God if I didn’t give the amount to them,they would kill me.It is fortunate that I was giving the amount to that Recruitment Agent in the morning, that’s why I’m late,but on the way I saw a newspaper and mob gossiping about the incident, so I returned back.Day before he called me for the amount but I was stuck in work so I promised him for today morning for payment. ”Accountant taken out the amount from his coat’s pocket land given to David’s father, He ran towards his house like a soccer player ran towards the goal. After few days a man came to meet me.He was the manager in a near by hotel.He was ousted from the hotel.He told me that the theft incident was plotted by our boss ,that journalist,who created all this mess was the brother of our boss,just to defame your Hotel.After this incident I became more cautious because your competitor can go to any extent as that hotelier did.I more worked hard and done a thriving business. Secondly don’t rush for more,work hard to improve your existing business ,every year spend about twenty percent of your profit on your business up keep.Third and the most valuable experience I got that never beat your chest by saying that I’m responsible like Accountant did.If two days before he would handed over the amount to the Recruitment Agent,the money would have been drowned and the Accountant would considered responsible and had to pay the amount. Here an idiom fits well”one in hand is better than two in bush”. The End…

October 16, 2020 18:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Abdul Ghani
11:31 Feb 07, 2021

Words are apprehensive and soft easy to read for the readers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abdul Ghani
11:29 Feb 07, 2021

This story is good and comfortable for the regional readers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abdul Ghani
11:28 Feb 07, 2021

Reedsy is lucky for you.Learn and write repeatedly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abdul Ghani
11:27 Feb 07, 2021

Now about 28 stories are published but still needs improvement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abdul Ghani
11:26 Feb 07, 2021

It seem real story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abdul Ghani
11:25 Feb 07, 2021

Title proverb is good .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abdul Ghani
11:25 Feb 07, 2021

This is good commercial story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sheejee Babar
05:57 Nov 07, 2020

Great job

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sheejee Babar
05:56 Nov 07, 2020

Great job

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.