Americanos

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about miscommunication.... view prompt

0 comments

General


|1|  


Unedited. 


He was all of what I imagined when I met him. Nothing could’ve been what I expected. His looks, personality, all deceiving. I still pass by the coffee shop though. 


I pass by it every day, looking inside, but never going in. I walk the same path everyday, pass the shop we used to go to, pass the coffee that lured us in. On my way to work it never crossed my mind. As if I was just passing by another shop, it became unapparent to me. 


Another day, I set off on the same path on my way to work. I was slowly approaching the coffee shop. For some reason, I stopped this time and looked inside. For whatever reason, I entered the shop. It was unexplainable but today something about it allured me. Maybe it was the familiar smell that caught my attention. Surely it couldn’t be because of him. I pass by it everyday so possibly it was just for the sake of going in. Entering it, nothing hit me. All of the memories had gone. The place seemed foreign but strangely familiar. 


“Welcome to the Coffee Shop, would you like to order?” a lady spoke to me. I didn’t really like coffee but I happened to blurt out words that seemed right to me. “Yes, americano please.” 


I got my drink and looked around. Out of all the tables, I was drawn to a small booth on the far side of the shop. I sat there and drank my coffee, biting on the straw as if it was a habit. It continued like this every day. I would always stop by here along my way to work, ordering the same thing, sitting at the same table. 


On a particular day, I stopped by on my way home from work. Entering it, I ordered the same drink which fortunately suited my taste despite me not liking coffee. I sat down at the same table and waited for my drink to be served to me. Looking around, I could see nothing but pairs of people sitting together. I always came alone and sat at the same table by myself. I didn’t respond at seeing the couples surrounding me. Everything I felt, was empty. 


“Go take that americano to the lady over there”, I heard the cashier yell. Ah, it must be ready. I heard the footsteps approaching my table. “Here’s your coffee.” I looked up and saw a face that sent waves of memories crashing through me. The place I was in suddenly became lively. The aroma in the air, to the very table I sat at every day. It all hit me. 


It was him.



|2|


“Rose?”


His voice melted me. It was a nice deep, ocean. Refreshing and soothing, just as I remembered it. I stared back into his eyes. Those rich dark brown chocolate irises I always yearned for. My heart hurt at the same time throughout it all. 


“I-,”


“Excuse me! Why is the service here so slow!”


A frown formed on the face in front of me. He set my coffee down and went to go help the customer at another table. “Take this new coffee over to them,” I heard one of the workers say. I watched as he brought over new drinks to a couple sitting at a table not far from mine. One of them looked annoyed. “Ugh, why do you keep bringing me here,'' the girl said. “Thank you- that’d be all,” the man said to him. I watched as he bowed at the couple and walked away. “I’m sorry babe, maybe next week I can take us somewhere new.” She still looked annoyed. Deep down, I felt that she resembled me somehow. I still watched the couple silently, thinking back to my own past relationship. 


“Hey-,” a sudden voice interrupting my thoughts. I looked away and up to see the same face I’ve always known. He pulled one of the chairs back and sat across from me. I said nothing and only stared back at him. He scratched his head while looking down and sighed. “..Hi”, I finally spoke. No one said another word. The room was filled with nothing but the noise of the other people around us. We both sat in silence facing each other.


“I missed you.” 


My throat began to dry hearing him speak. I took a sip of my drink, turning away from him, biting on the straw out of nervousness. I heard him scoff.


“I see you still order the same americanos. You haven’t changed one bit,” he said in a soft voice. 


“You should get back to work,” I finally said setting my drink down. 


“I have time.”


“Then I’ll leave first,” I said getting up from the table. 


He grabbed my arm and gripped onto it tightly. “Please, stay.” I swallowed, feeling a lump of tears forming in my throat. I didn’t know how to react to seeing him after so long. After the entirety of it all, trying to forget him. I just needed to get out of this place. 


“Look just-”, I was interrupted mid-sentence by an abrupt noise. A recognizable noise from earlier. 


“Whatever! I’m just going to leave.” I turned to see the same couple from earlier. The girl clearly looked angry and the guy seemed to be pleading towards her. “Don’t be like this.” I watched as she threw the drink onto the floor, shattering the cup. “Aish- hey, wait here, please? Don’t go, let me take care of this really quick.” He let go of my arm and rushed away towards the commotion. 


“Guy’s let’s calm down okay?” I heard him say to the couple. “Look, even this place has people telling me what to do. I’m leaving.” The noise of heels hitting the floor were soon approaching my direction. I watched as the girl left stomping away leaving behind a broken heart. I got up as well and quietly left the shop. 


Even as I did, I felt the eyes of another heartbroken person watching me as I left. It hurt me as well, but I needed to leave. 


|3|

The next day, I still took the same path to work. Nearing the coffee shop, once again I stopped. 


I'm not going to go in. 


I sighed, and entered the shop. Something stopped me from continuing on and walking away. I wasn’t too worried about running into him. I’ll just ignore him and drink my coffee. I sat down and waited for my drink to be served to me. Looking around I suddenly felt different seeing the same couples surrounding me. It hurt this time. It was as if everything I once experienced came back to me. As if, I started to care again. 


I looked up to see a lady handing me my drink. I thanked her and she walked away. I took a long sip of that americano and slowly closed my eyes. Drinking this wasn’t the same. The smell, the taste, all different. An image came to mind as I sipped through that straw.



“I think I'm in love with, the way your nail glitter, the way your hair fall, the way you constantly bite on that coffee straw.”


He was staring back at me with those ever so gleaming eyes. His chin was prettily planted directly onto his palm as he sat across from me. 


“You’re so quick to fall in love,” I giggled at his comment. He’d bring me here almost everyday. I never liked coffee but I just couldn’t resist not coming with him. “You know..”, he had started. “I'm going to work here one day, and when that time comes, I’ll make sure you have to come here willingly.” I gave him an intimidating look.


“Oh yea?” 


“Yes, so that way I can serve coffee to you myself.”


“You know I don't like coffee though,” I added. 


“All but those americanos.” 



“You came back.”


I opened my eyes to see the image from my head appear in front of me. Before I could get up he sat in the chair across from me and placed his hand onto mine. 


“Can we just stay like this for a few seconds?” 


I turned away from him and got up from my chair leaving once again. My heart raced quickly as I left the shop. Just the feeling of his touch sent me nervous. 


Those days with you, those moments are now in memories. 

I'm not ready to face them yet. 


|4| 


I continued to go to the coffee shop everyday. He served my drinks to me everytime, not saying a word nor sound. I’ve always wondered why I kept going. He was the reason why I left that time. I wasn’t ready to face him, yet here I am having him serve coffee to me. Seeing him, everyday. Not a word was exchanged between us though. 


It was maybe 1 month in and the place started to change. Couples that had visited stopped coming. The place became quieter and more vacant. No more arguments, no more love, no more coffee. It was just me here, and him to serve me and my americanos. 


I didn’t like it this way either. This wasn’t right. 

-

It was dark and I was on my way home from work. Passing by the coffee shop, it was almost closing time. Looking through the glass windows I could see no people. The place was empty, despite it being an hour away from closing time. I entered it and ordered my usual. The lady wasn’t here to take my order, it was just him. We were alone together in this shop. As I waited again for the same order, I drifted into a deep thought. The footsteps were approaching again and I made up my mind. “Here’s your coffee.” As he was about to walk away from me I reached out for him. “Wait-”, my words leaving him at a halt. He turned around and looked at me with piercing eyes. Eyes that I could tell were holding back. “I won’t push you away anymore.” The words had left me so effortlessly. 


I miss you too.” 


|5| 


“Miss, I’m sorry but I really like your style.” 

A boy stood in front of me, he seemed to have been a highschooler. He looked young judging from his fair and smooth face. 


“I’ve noticed you like to come here. I-I’m not stalking you, I just see you here most of the time.”

I gave him an intriguing look, eyeing the item in his hand. 


“Here, I bought you this drink. You like Americanos don’t you?” he said shoving the drink towards my direction.  I giggled at his courage and graciously accepted the drink from him. 


“So.. by taking this drink, does this mean I can get your number?” he asked so innocently. 


“I’m sorry, but I’m already interested in someone.” I gave him a warm smile and caressed his hair carefully. 


His expression changed and a vivid look of embarrassment returned in exchange. His face was flushed, eyes gleaming as he looked down. 


“Are those your friends over there?” I pointed with my eyes towards another table. He just nodded slightly. 


“They were waiting for me to get your number..” 


“Ah.. I see. Well I don’t want to embarrass you so sit here with me. That is if you want.” He gladly sat himself down in the chair across from me. I looked to see his group of friends all staring in our direction. I let him chat along and Iistened away. 


“Really?”, I responded to him. 


“Yes.. would you like to come with us-” 


The doorbell at the entrance had jingled and heard footsteps made itself known. A new voice was added to the chat. 


“Well who is this here?” 


I sat there drinking and biting the straw of my almost empty americano.

 I stood up and brushed down my apron. "I'm sorry but I think I have to get back to work now."



"Welcome to the coffee shop, would you like to order?"




March 13, 2020 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.