52 comments

Creative Nonfiction Holiday Horror

...Blow Your Head Off

Caution: Based on true story. Contains gore.

It's all fun and games...until you blow your head off!

Before the nineteen sixties, before I made this my home, our lovely town was known for stately elm trees canopying the main street north of the river. But a deadly elm tree disease raged through infecting them all. The ones not killed quickly succumbed to progress as the street was widened to four lanes instead of two for the thoroughfare through town. The men's garden club decided to beautify the landscape by planting a few flowers. That project soon turned into lovely bright pink petunias lining all the main highways in the city.

When my dad took a job at the local mental health asylum before he moved the rest of us here I remember him sending us a postcard showing the streets lined with petunias sweeping under the Memorial Arch with the name of the town emblazoned upon it, another landmark of the town. When our family arrived that was the first sight I saw of our new home.

As the plantings increased a petition was made to the state and soon the community of 15,000 was dubbed 'The Petunia City'. In a short time an annual celebration was created to honor the designation called the Petunia Festival held around the Fourth of July. The festival midway games and rides along with arts and craft or car shows, Bingo and a beer garden with live bands attracted huge crowds from all over. It even became renowned enough that a popular game show in the early seventies, the Dating Game, presented a trip to the Petunia Festival as the grand prize to the winning couple! Welcomed as dignitaries, the excited couple became the grand marshals of the parade that year. I'm sure the experience made a lasting impression on them. The party always ended with a spectacular fireworks display locally provided by a certified trained family who volunteered their services.

In my teenage years in a town without a lot to do other than cruising Galena Avenue from Peoria Avenue to the south to Lowell Park Road to the north back and forth, not counting stopping to sit at the courthouse corner to wave at other cruisers, the fourth of July Petunia Festival was a the highlight of the summer. Lots of fun and games. Walking the midway hand in hand with someone special. Hawkers trying to get him to win you a prize. Stealing a kiss on top of the Ferris wheel. Eating elephant ears and corn dogs. Feeling nauseous after the spinning rides. Participating in the talent contest. Dancing to the music. Watching the marching bands compete.

In my very young motherhood years it was a struggle to get all my children downtown at least for the fireworks. This particular year stands out in my memory. My husband was a police officer on a small police force over stressed as the population exploded on those few days. He was not available to help much with the family. We may have taken the little ones to Kids Day for a short time to ride the kiddie rides. The carnival company often compted the force a few free coupons. And I may have gotten my younger sister to walk the few blocks from my parents' house to the parade route along side me with the stroller and the other two in tow. What little ones don't love a parade? But for the fireworks I was on my own. Anyway I don't remember planning to go with anyone else.

My high-school-sweetheart husband and I had four kids in five years back in the early seventies. I believe their ages at the time must have been five, four, two and I was expecting my bicentennial baby. Exactly why I thought it was even necessary to attend those sparklers on my own with all those babes, in my condition, I'll never know.

The festival is held on the high school grounds along the river. A lovely setting for the fireworks reflecting over the river. Trouble is there aren't any parking lots close by which means street parking wherever and however close you can get. The viewing is great if you can get to standing room only on the bridge, otherwise it is, well, up in the air. Hard to tell until the blossoms start exactly where you can see them from due to trees blocking most displays. Over the years one thinks they have it figured out then the organizers suddenly decide to change the venue starting point. I can not tell you how many different viewing spots we have selected or rejected.

Anyway, back to my waddling all over town stroller and two cranky, tired toddlers in tow. Ah, nice grassy spot at end of bridge big enough for blanket and maybe a shot at seeing something. Hope the noise isn't too scary for my tots. (For some reason I am remembering when I was little I never wanted to get too close for fear a spark might land on me. Anytime I saw someone in a wheelchair I wondered if that is what happened to them.)

“Hello, Mary, so nice to see you.” My musing was interrupted by a somewhat familiar voice. Oh, great my old boyfriend! Wouldn't you know haven't seen him for years and he finds me looking oh-so-fine!

“Hi, Joe. Great to see you, too.”

“You remember Maureen, right. Her family moved into the old Victorian farmhouse you used to live in. We got married. We are expecting our first baby. Looks like you have another on the way. Are all of these yours?”

“Can never have too many. Congratulations to both of you. They have a way of changing your life. But in a good way.”

“Well, enjoy the show. And best of luck to you.”

“And to you, too.”

Ah, the bombs, er, booms have started, thank goodness!

My little troupe actually were enjoying the action. Even with all the noise and commotion around us. Seemed it was ramping up then suddenly it all went silent. There was an extremely long pause. Way longer than I ever remember between starbursts. The crowd noticed and seemed to get fidgety and restless. That display was far shorter than usual and there was no grand finale when they send up multiples at one time. Were they that short on funds this year? Sometimes they would send out donation seekers to pay for next year's display. No one had been around to our corner yet. And the time dragged on. And on.

Suddenly, you could here the wails of ambulances. Oh, no! Something bad must have happened. They are headed to the area the fireworks are detonated. That is not good. Not good at all...

There was mumbling among the crowd. It was obvious the show was over for the night and people started drifting away. Scratching their heads and wondering why. I gathered my crew and we started our trek back to our vehicle.

My husband knew. And it wasn't good. The young man in charge of lighting off the display had a problem with one tube. No one present actually saw the moment it happened but he must have been leaning over the faulty tube looking for the problem when it exploded in his face decapitating him. All the witnesses could immediately see was him engulfed in smoke.

I didn't know it at the time but this man lived in our neighborhood. His two children went to school with my children. His widow never did remarry and passed away a few years ago. She was a very strong woman to survive what she did and raise her children on her own.

The tragedy was also devastating to the Petunia Festival. The pall pulled the fireworks off the agenda for years afterwards. The event will turn sixty years old this summer. Yes, it is all fun and games until someone blows his head off...

April 18, 2024 03:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

12:30 May 04, 2024

Hi Mary, I like the way this builds scenery and community feel around the crux of the story. Its a good contrast. So sad that this happened though - the true stories are often the weirdest and most uncomfortable.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:03 May 04, 2024

Thanks. So true!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
06:21 Apr 28, 2024

This was a lovely, evocative piece of writing, Mary. You have a real gift for capturing the past and bringing it to life.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:02 Apr 28, 2024

Thank you. They say to write what you know. Sometimes wish I could do it better justice.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:37 Apr 25, 2024

Like the story. To bad for the neighbour.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:47 Apr 25, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:25 Apr 25, 2024

Excellent story with a tragic end. I love fireworks too, but this shows the high price when something goes wrong. The petunias sound amazing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:44 Apr 25, 2024

Thanks for liking. The petunias have left the streets and are now hanging in baskets. Car fumes killed their splendar.

Reply

Helen A Smith
19:43 Apr 25, 2024

🧺 💐 At least they are still there in some form.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:33 Apr 25, 2024

True.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:26 Apr 24, 2024

Tragic story but good descriptions, well written and good show of what might happen at the same time with two different but somehow close families.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathleen March
00:12 Apr 24, 2024

I didn’t expect that last line. The wry tone all the way through ranges from funny to ironic and tragic, yet asks the reader to smile. A weirdly comical story and to me weird is good!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:11 Apr 24, 2024

Tried to warn everyone right from the beginning. Thanks for liking and the closing comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
21:58 Apr 23, 2024

An explosive story! I loved the details and descriptions of the small town and its inhabitants. So sorry about the firework operator!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:49 Apr 24, 2024

Thanks for reading/liking. It was a tragedy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
01:35 Apr 22, 2024

Hi Mary. This was so well written. You have your unique voice and reading your stories is like a cool drink of water. I hope you know that. I thought of Ursula K. Le Guin’s short story, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”, when reading this. It’s an award winner about a town opening up for a festival, with a twist. If you haven’t read it I bet you could see, what I call, layering of detail, that I think you also have a talent for. Great job on this one! Jack

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:41 Apr 22, 2024

Your approval means so much to me because you have great talent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristina Lushey
08:53 Apr 21, 2024

Interesting story Mary and very descriptive. Excellent work 👍😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:21 Apr 21, 2024

Thanks for commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
03:00 Apr 21, 2024

Hey Mary, I loved your pacing and escalation to the unexpected tragedy; it all worked well. The detailed descriptions of the town and its various attractions were most evocative and created a vivid portrayal of a certain time and place. I imagine the townsfolk took a long time to recover from the accident and the Petunia Festival would never be quite the same again…. Well done HH

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:36 Apr 21, 2024

So true. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
01:01 Apr 21, 2024

Your story pulls you in with its mix of nostalgia and tragedy. You've captured the essence of a tight-knit community and its beloved festival, making the sudden and tragic event even more jarring. The way you describe the festival and your personal experiences adds a lot of depth to the narrative. The pacing is spot-on, leading up to the unexpected and heartbreaking accident. It's a stark shift from a joyful community gathering to a scene of confusion and grief, which hits home. One thing you could consider is exploring the emotional afterma...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:03 Apr 21, 2024

Glad you liked it and left such helpful commentary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
20:53 Apr 20, 2024

Wow that was intense Mary! Thanks for sharing, great storytelling

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:20 Apr 20, 2024

Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
14:31 Apr 20, 2024

Yeah, in Mexico market they showed in Chinese tv when I was there, it exploded in that market starting from section that deal on it and went through market claiming about five lives. Even in China, there similar stories of death from that same source.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:14 Apr 20, 2024

Bad things can happen when one plays with explosives! Thanks for liking even though it was hard to actually 'like'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
03:18 Apr 20, 2024

I never personally mess with fireworks, but hypocritically, I love to watch them. The problem is we forget fireworks are bombs. Your nonfiction stories are my personal favorites. I can't say this is a "good" one, but I'll never forget.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:55 Apr 20, 2024

Thanks for the kind sentiment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
18:15 Apr 19, 2024

Skillfully written with vivid descriptions, interesting details and good pacing while the story unfolds. Well told with immersive writing style that draws us into each scene so we are there too!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:28 Apr 19, 2024

Thank you for the detailed comment.

Reply

Kristi Gott
21:53 Apr 19, 2024

You are welcome! :-) Always a pleasure to read your skillful stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:48 Apr 19, 2024

Oh my goodness! You warned us readers. The worst fireworks story was a boy in my intermediate school had one thrown at him and he stepped back off the kerb into the path of a passing truck, just outside the school. Awful. Stuff of nightmares. The other time, and your story reminds me, I live near a pier and the firework displays are set up to all happen on it. It's all choreographed and coordinated. It suddenly stopped mid display. Someone had jumped off the end of the pier! A suicide. He died. Great but sad story. Sounds true! Kids do lov...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:06 Apr 19, 2024

All very true. Your story is horrific, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
02:31 Apr 19, 2024

...wow. That's so awful, for the man and his family and friends. Fireworks are certainly nothing to play with. Had exploding fireworks a few times a year or two ago. 🫤

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:53 Apr 19, 2024

Glad you are okay! Thanks for commenting. It was awful!

Reply

Irene Duchess
13:26 Apr 19, 2024

Yes I can't imagine how horrific that had to have been

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
19:12 Apr 18, 2024

Reality is stranger than fiction...you wonder why those sad things happen. Thanks for the glimpse into your past, Mary....it was a nostalgic retelling.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:17 Apr 18, 2024

My toddlers did grow up with his kids and knew the story how they lost their father.

Reply

Harry Stuart
19:25 Apr 18, 2024

Wow, that's heartbreaking. It's amazing how life can change in a minute. It's a good reminder. Enjoyed your story -- thanks again for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:12 Apr 18, 2024

My grandpa nearly had the same experience when my parents bought a giant expensive firework one year. He lit and nothing happened... So started walking out to figure it out. I thank God my mom convinced him to wait longer because two mins later it blew up in our yard. Such a tragedy but how fitting for this prompt!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:15 Apr 18, 2024

It happens quite a bit. Glad your mom is so wise. This man was only 34 when this happened and he had 13 years of experience.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:21 Apr 18, 2024

Sad, sad story. Brave Mary for not flinching at herding toddlers (plural) to the fireworks.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:44 Apr 18, 2024

One was quite mischievious. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.