The Final Car Ride

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Sad Friendship

"I don't know, man. Zeppelin is just the defining rock band, you know. Sabbath is great and all but Zeppelin is-

"Zeppelin is Zeppelin, I know. But on the other hand-"

"Sabbath is Sabbath. You always say that."

"Well then stop saying 'Zeppelin is Zeppelin'. How about you come up with a legitimate argument as to why Led Zeppelin is better than Black Sabbath."

"Ok you want to hear it. Let me preface this by saying that I love Black Sabbath."

"I know you are about to say something awful about Sabbath so let me cut you off before you do."

"No, no it's not like that at all. I'm just saying sometimes Sabbath isn't as consistent as Zeppelin. And look I know you hate me saying that but it's true."

"Every damn car ride I have to hear this blasphemous argument from someone who I call my friend." 

"Yeah, yeah I know you hate me saying that but let me explain. Albums like-"

"You just passed a stop sign."

"What? Oh damn it. Let's hope no cops were around. See? This is why we can't discuss this anymore. I can't drive properly while trying to explain to you why Led Zeppelin is the superior band."

"Paul, we talk about this every time we hang out and drive around. And you say the same thing every time I'm starting to win the argument. One day it is my hope that you will fully appreciate Black Sabbath."

"I do appreciate Sabbath. I'm just saying-"

"You are just saying the same thing you always do and yet I'm still not convinced."

"Fine. Let's put it to rest. For now."

"So how's the job going? Any new customers?"

"Well you know how the economy is. I don't want to talk about it. We use these drives to talk about whatever we want. And last I checked, we don't want to talk about work.”

"Yeah that's true."

"Are you good, man? You seem a bit off. You look pale... What's up?"

"Oh nothing. Just some personal stuff."

"Well let's see, we've been driving around for 45 minutes. Either we talk about this 'personal stuff' or I can turn around and head back home and we will pick this up again next week, same time where I’m going to ask you the same thing."

"Ok fine. So you know how the other week I said that I had a doctors appointment I was nervous about."

"Yeah. Is everything ok? What's going on?"

"Oh… no it's all fine. Just some high blood pressure is all. Runs in the family apparently. Could be worse." 

"You gotta be careful with that stuff, Joe. I knew a guy at the office dropped dead at the age of 45 due to high blood pressure. I mean yeah it could be worse. You could have cancer or something but still. High blood pressure is serious."

"Yeah I guess so."

"I'm glad you told me though. Maybe it's just me but lately I feel like there has been a distance between us. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Forget I said anything."

"Oh no, it's ok. I'm sorry about that. I just-"

"No it's no one's fault. It's just how it is. When you've been friends with someone for 30 years, sometimes it happens."

"Yeah, no, I get it."

"I mean I'm sure it will pass. That's why I'm glad you told-"

"Paul, I have cancer."

"What? You can't be serious. I thought-"

"Yeah I lied about the high blood pressure. At that appointment the other week, they ran some tests because I wasn't feeling well and they called the other day with the results. Stage 4. They said they think it's starting to spread to my lungs."

"No it can't be. That has to be a mistake-"

"I wish it was but no they were pretty sure. They are the professionals after all. Susan has been a wreck."

"Yeah I can imagine. I just don't understand. You haven't smoked in 25 years. You eat somewhat healthy. You go to the gym. It just doesn't make sense."

"That's what I said. Funny how we think alike."

"Well you seem pretty at ease with the whole thing. I mean don't you care that you are dying. That you are leaving behind a wife and two kids in the prime of your life. You are 43 years old for God's sake. And yet you don't seem to care that you've just been given a damn death sentence."

"Paul, you don't mean that. You know how much I love them. It's one thing to die, I've made my peace with that. The one thing that keeps me up at night, the one thing that I've lost countless hours of sleep over is the fact that they will be alone after I'm gone. That I won't be there to love them anymore."

"I'm sorry, Joe. You're right. I didn't mean that. It's just a lot to handle. I mean my best friend is dying."

"I know."

"How much longer do you have?"

"They said six weeks at the most. Probably not even that long."

"Damn."

"Yeah it's a rough hand to be dealt."

"That's one way of putting it. So tonight is probably the last time we are ever going to hang out and drive around together again."

"Yeah I'm checking into the Stevenson Clinic next week sometime and then they will keep me there until, well, you know."

"Joe, you know I'll be there for Susan and the kids. No matter what they need."

"I know, Paul. That means the world to me."

"Of course."

"Well, seeing as how this is the last time we will ever be doing this, I don't want to waste it by talking about my impending death."

"Yeah you're right. So how do we move from that to a normal conversation?"

"Good question. Almost like the age-old question of which band is better: Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin?"

"Well as we all know, Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band of all time.”

"See that's where we disagree because Black Sabbath is actually the greatest rock band of all time."

"I'm going to miss this."

"Me too, man. Me too"

January 15, 2021 16:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.