0 comments

Happy Romance Sad

Father, how do you like Kashmir for this vacation? Carl asked excitedly to his father. His father, Joel, tried to hide his pain with a smile and a yes. Carl in his excitement was not able to understand his father’s real emotions and interpreted them as real feelings. It has been 7 years now since the death of Joel’s wife and Carl’s and Rose’s mother. She died in a young age in a car accident, and it scared them to the feet. The kids had to grow young and with them Joel was growing old. The kids knew that no matter how hard they try but soon they will get busy in their own lives that they will find themselves unable to take care of their beloved father. On the other hand Joel though impractically that he can always earn a day’s bread and will not need anybody’s support, he was not hoping for that day to come but was thinking of being able to live without anybody’s love and care. Rose and Carl were mature enough to understand the complexities of their father being a single father for rest of his life and also the complexities of him marrying a new woman. But they were ready to face the complexities of a step mother, if it assured their father’s happiness. They forced him or to be polite pursued him to propose one of her friend, whom he knew for a long time now.

Angel could never have thought about it, she was a nice friend to Joel but marrying him was a little more than or even more than being good and best friends. She told him directly that she needs some time to find the answer of and from her heart. Joel knew that this was going to happen, it did not affect him but the kids were upset about it. But he was always a good guy to Angel and Angle herself agreed to this fact and when she was debating with herself it was a valid point presented by the marry him side. Further when she asked herself if she would be happy with him or not the answer was an obvious yes. He was a decent man, had a well paying job, had good kids and he knows the value of a women in life. He despite of being indirectly rejected by Angel never insulted her instead he had maintained the same relations with her and even made them better. Just after 6 months she was in love with him and proposed her in the church, with only his kids being present there. Joel was happy for him but happier for his children who have grown so mature in this short period of time followed by their mother’s untimely demise. Carl and Rose arranged the little wedding ceremony at the next day.

 Till now it has been a little more than 5 years of Joel’s first wife’s death and he and his kids took the time to move on and now they were ready for a fresh beginning. They were living together and the distance between them decreased day by day, the new family member was no longer new to the family, the family was again complete. Angel had her different customs and ways of living so she and Joel and not to forget their children they all adjusted in a way or other but it was all worth it. The dining table was now complete, but it was a new face but a wanted, necessary and integral part of the family. Angel was meeting her expectation of a husband and her already grown up kids.

Carl and Rose saw this coming from a long time and it was the only reason they remarried their father, they wanted to separate now, wanted to set their own families up and wanted to be independent and before that they wanted to spend a few good days to remember for their rest of the life. Surely they did not meant to never meet their father and mother ever again but it would not be same for either of them. They were not sure of themselves sparing a long time to go on a vacation like this once they get independent. So here we come to the beginning of this story. India was a fantasy world for Carl, he had visited India before once and never got fed up of wanting more of it. He wanted his father, mother and little sister to have the best vacation till now, just in case they don’t have any other vacation in future.

So convincing, planning, visa and other things took a lot of time for them. Once ready they were all set to leave there busy New York City life, though just for a couple of week. Carl was a deep research kind of person, so he well planned his family’s entire trip to Indian, Kashmir and back to their home. Flight tickets were booked a month before just in case they don’t get one at the moment due to the season. Everything was arranged in a way by Carl that his father and mother can entirely enjoy their vacation or honeymoon as Carl and Rose teased them. He booked everything accordingly. At every place Carl would take her sister with her to give their mom and dad just a little privacy after all it was their first vacation after the marriage. There had never been a vacation this nice for them, the cold weather, the snow, the valley and the chilling rivers. The nice, hot and comfy hotel rooms were like the dessert everyone craves for more than the actual meal. The family vacation despite being a family vacation was more like a separate vacation for Carl and Rose and Joel and Angel, they would just meet up in the morning for their lunch and brother and sister would leave their parents alone for a dinner date.

After a week spent in the valley and hills of Kashmir, one night Joel broke, in front of Angel, he was missing her first wife badly, he said to Angel that despite it being several years now nut he stills loves her and want to be with her. It’s okay Joel; I never experienced that but could try to feel that, it’s not easy to move on. I know you love her and miss her but I want you to understand that I love you, Carl and Rose love you and for us you need to be happy, now and always, said Angel. She added, come on, now let’s raise our spirit, and give me a hug, a really chocking one. Kiss me till our lungs get short on air. Love me till the dawn and keep the moon awake with the noise of our love. Today, I don’t want you to forget your first love but experience the same tender love with me. I want you to know that now I’m with you and no matter what come, we will be together, until we get together once again in heaven. Joel was filled with emotions, he was sad and happy, dissatisfied but contained and he was filled with love and hate. But the moment got him in being loved, fulfilled and happy and as the night grew younger the feelings were at the peak of them.

He did not really think if he could thank Angel and his kids enough for the trip and support but he did. He knew his words would never be enough but unknowingly his tearful eyes and immeasurable smile was more than enough.

November 26, 2020 06:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.