When You (Accidentally) Wish Upon a Star

Submitted into Contest #73 in response to: Write about someone who gets proposed to five times on Christmas Eve.... view prompt

3 comments

Romance Drama

“You. . .you're what? You’re breaking up with me? Seriously, Ethan? It’s almost Christmas! Now I’ll be alone for the holidays,” Jen yells.

“Whoah, babe, calm down. . .” Ethan says.

“Babe? You can’t call me babe anymore! We’re not dating!” Jen says, her tone out of control.

Ethan lowers his voice. “Jen, please sit down; the other customers are staring. . .”

“Sorry. . .but really, Ethan? Why are you breaking up with me?” Jen sits back down and regains her composure. She’s still mad, but at least now she’s quiet. Ugh, I hate it when she’s like this, Ethan thinks.

“Uh. . .you’re just not. . . right for me. Sorry, Jen,” Ethan says.

“Wow, Ethan. Not right for you. We’ve been dating for 4 years! You just figured it out? What did I ever do to you?” Jen is yelling again.

“Well,” Ethan starts awkwardly, “you get like. . .this. All angry and loud and embarrassing for everyone.”

Jen’s jaw drops. Deep down, she knows he’s right, but she doesn’t want to admit it. He’s breaking up with me, so I must be at fault! She thinks. “What did I do, Ethan?” Her voice has quieted, but that’s the most dangerous part about it. When Jen gets quiet, Ethan thinks, it’s over.

“I. . .”

“Ethan, you’re a terrible boyfriend. Look back on all those years- do I regret them? No, not really. They were the best four years of both of our lives, and now you just up and leave like this! After all I’ve done for you!”

“Jen. . .”

“No, Ethan, stop. Just stop. I could do so much better with anyone else. Any other man would be better for me than you. I’d take two of any criminal in the city, and he’d still be better than you. Heck, I’d take five! Five boyfriends of any status, even criminal! They’d all be better than you, hear that?” Jen stands up angrily. “Bye, Ethan. Nice dating you.” She storms out of the restaurant. Whispers follow her. She’s mad! She’s crazy! they say.

Ethan rests his head in his hands. A tear slips down his cheek. I’m sorry, Jen. It's really not you, I promise. But I can't take this right now. . .not after her death.


 *  *  * 


The next morning, Jen picks up her phone, hoping for a ‘good morning’ text from Ethan like usual. Oh right. . .we broke up. Jen huffs as she sets her phone down. She pulls her hair into a flashy braid. Today will be a me-day. No focusing on anyone but myself today! You got this. Get over him!!

Now that she and Ethan aren’t dating, Jen has nobody to spend Christmas with. Originally, her plans were to go over to Ethan’s family’s house, who only live an hour away, because her family is across the country. 

Jen looks over at her fridge. The invite to her office Christmas party sits there. Oh, that’s tonight. Maybe I’ll go after all. . . In that case, I better freshen up. First, I’ll go to the salon and get my nails done. A nice Christmasy color. Then I’ll get a new dress for it. I deserve it. She looks at her reflection in the mirror. Well, I’m a mess. Her shirt is wrinkled, her eyes are swollen from crying. Guess it’s time for a makeover too.

“Welcome to Jingle Bells Salon, the perfect place for your Christmas mani-pedi!” the receptionist greets Jen as she walks in. “How can we help you?”

“Hi, I’d like to get a mani-pedi.”

“Amazing. Take a look at our color selection and let us know what you find!”

How fitting, Jen thinks as she decides on a deep plum color called ‘Single and Ready to Mingle’ to match the dress she plans to buy. It’ll be a spectacular ensemble, a glittery champagne color that’ll complement her purple nails and lipstick. She knows just the place to buy one- Rosario’s. Rosario’s has the best cocktail-party dresses in the area, for affordable prices too. She saw the dress while window-shopping the other day with Ethan, and now she has an excuse to buy it. Her nude-colored heels will look great with the plum polish as well. 

Maybe being single isn’t so bad after all, Jen thinks as she pulls out her phone to find no new texts. Never mind. She scrolls through her old texts with Ethan. “Love you forever,” he had said. Liar. “See you tonight,” was his last text from yesterday. See you never again, Jen replies in her head. If only her emphatic heart reply knew what was to come.

“And you’re done, ma’am,” the lady doing her nails says. “Thank you so much for coming to J.B. Salon!”

“No problem,” Jen replies absentmindedly. I never say ‘no problem.’ That’s Ethan’s thing. She shakes her head. Why can’t I get him off my mind? 

That night, Jen shows up to her office Christmas party all dolled up. She smacks her plum-colored lips as she walks in. She doesn’t feel like talking to anyone. Maybe it was a bad idea to come here. I shouldn’t be around people right now. I. . . miss Ethan. She grabs a drink and makes her way over to the large window. The stars sure are bright tonight. Oh look, a shooting star. . . Make a wish, Jen.

“Jen?” Someone says behind her, interrupting her wish.

“Oh, hey, Rose!” She puts on a fake smile. Rose is Jen’s only friend at work, and also her friend only at work. The two never get together outside of work because Jen was always busy with Ethan.

“I didn’t know you’d be here,” says Rose, whose blood-red dress shines brightly in the starlight. “Nice to see you not hanging with that boyfriend of yours for once.”

“Oh, we broke up,” Jen says, trying to sound like she doesn’t care.

“Daaang, girl! You’ve been dating that punk for. . .how long?” Rose asks.

“4 years.”

“What did he do to deserve a girl like you breaking up with him?” 

I can’t tell her he broke up with me. “He. . cheated.” No, Jen! Ethan isn’t that much of a scumbag. 

“Wow. You deserve better, girl. What a butt.” Rose tosses her hair.

“Yeah. . .” I repeat the words I said to Ethan. “I could date 4 random men and all of them would be better than him. One could be a criminal, and he’d be better! I wish that happened. . . he’d never live it down. I’d text him just to tell him that he was the worst guy I ever dated. Oh, I wish. . .” Jen shakes her head. I feel bad. This is extreme. . . No, Jen! You have to get over him. . .

“Well, Jen. . .now that you have some free time, wanna hang out?”

“Sure,” Jen says, thankful for the opportunity to get her mind off Ethan. A slow song begins.

“Come on, I’ll find you a dance partner,” Rose says, leading Jen into the crowd.



 *  *  * 


The day before Christmas, Jen wakes up ready for a new day. She’s spent the last two days trying to get over Ethan. It isn’t working. She looks at the clock. “Merry Christmas, Jen,” She says to herself softly. She checks her phone. One text, from Rose. “Merry Christmas girl!” it says. Cheerful, as always. Wish I could be like that. . .

Jen looks out her apartment window. “It’s a nice day,” she says to herself. “I’ll go for a walk to clear my head.” That’s all I ever do these days. . .clear my head. 

The morning air is crisp, and it bites Jen’s nose as she walks. “Not too cold, for Christmas Eve. It’s actually really pretty out. . .” she says. Jen twirls in a circle, feeling invigorated. She jumps when she notices a man behind her.

“You know what else is pretty out? . . You,” he says, getting down on one knee and pulling out a box, clearly with a ring inside.

“Uh. . . sorry, do I know you?” Jen says, trying to get a better look at the man’s face. He looks into her eyes, and she shivers. “Sorry. . .um. . .”

“You’re so gorgeous. . .I can’t help falling in love with you. Will you marry me?” He opens the box, revealing a golden ring.

Jen’s eyes meet the man’s. At first glance, they look sincere, but on the second. . .is that panic? He looks confused. “I’m sorry. . .I can’t.” Jen walks away hurriedly. What was that? So much for clearing my thoughts. . .

She hears the man call after her. “Wait, come back. . .I don’t know what-” Jen pulls her hat over her ears. She doesn’t want to talk to anyone right now, especially not after breaking up with Ethan and then being proposed to, of all things.

Jen suddenly is hit with a sense of claustrophobia. The bustling city has suddenly become unfriendly. Its beautiful buildings have turned into crowding skyscrapers. The park will be nice. I’ll go to the park. It’ll be quiet there.  

She’s right- the park is quieter, until she hears a man’s voice behind her. “Excuse me, miss?”

“Yes?” She says.

“I just wanted to say that you’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. . .will you marry me?” 

What? 

“Sir, I don’t. . .” Jen turns around. The man on one knee is incredibly hot. Jen sucks in a breath. “Well, maybe you’re moving a little fast. Okay. A lot fast.”

“I can’t help it, fast is the only speed I move.” The man looks scared, as if he doesn’t know what’s happening. “C’mon, don’t tell me you’ve never heard of me? I’m Cadyn Bruson! Famous for the gold medal in the 100 meter dash. No?”

“Um. . .no, sorry. I don’t keep up with sports. But that doesn’t explain. . .” Then something hits Jen. “Oh, I know. Did Ethan put you up to this?”

“Who?” The man- Cadyn -hasn’t moved from his kneeling position. The ring box is still extended in his hand. 

“Ethan. ETHAN? You can come out now,” Jen calls. “I figured it out. You’re testing me. I’m not that desperate! You know, if I really needed company on Christmas, I’d go to Rose’s. ETHAN?”

“Ma’am, other people are staring,” Cadyn says.

“Maybe because you’re proposing to me!” Jen yells. “I don’t even know you! What is it with men these days? I’m leaving. Sorry.”

Jen gets up. She hears the man call out after her. “I’m sorry, I don’t-”

“Stop talking!” Jen calls back. “I don’t want to hear it!”

What’s going on? Two proposals within an hour of each other? This is some Anne of Green Gables nonsense! It couldn’t be Rose, could it? No, it has to be Ethan. 

Jen whips out her phone. She sends a text to Ethan, who she never expected to text again. “Why are you doing this?”

He responds immediately. “Wow. What have I done this time?”

Another one comes in. “Telling people I cheated on you?”

“Ethan, I. . .”

“Don’t try it. Just tell me, what did I do now?”

“You know what you’re doing. Tell them to stop!”

“Who? What?”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Ethan.”

“Jen, I seriously don’t know what you’re talking about. What did I do?”

“You. . .don’t know?”

“What????”

“The men, the proposals!”

Proposals?

“Yes.”

Jen’s phone rings. It’s Ethan. “Um, hey. WHAT?” he roars. “WHAT PROPOSALS? WHO’S PROPOSING TO MY-” he cuts off. ‘My ex’ is what he should say. What was he going to say?

“I’ve had two men come up and propose to me within one hour, and I don’t-”

A new voice cuts her off. “Don’t know what to do?”

She spins around. “Accept my proposal, sweetheart.”

Kneeling before her is the most tattooed guy she’s ever seen. He looks like your stereotypical criminal. Is that. . .blood under his fingernail? This guy’s a criminal. Wait. That’s it! Criminal. What did I say? “One could be a criminal, and he’d be better!” That’s it! That shooting star. . .don’t tell me. No, wishes don’t come true. . . 

“That’s what you should do.” The smile on his face doesn’t match the expression in his eyes. It looks the same as the last two men: panicked. The golden ring in the box is just as beautiful, if not more, than the first and second ones. 

The wish- I bet it forced him into this! That’s why all three of them looked so panicked. . . 

Jen’s phone hand drops as the realization sinks in. Her phone hits the ground loudly. She can hear Ethan shouting, even though speaker phone isn’t on. “Jen! Jen! Are you okay? What’s going on?”

“Um, sir. . .” Jen starts. “I’m so sorry about what’s happening to you right now. It’s my fault. I refuse your proposal.” She takes a breath. “There. Now you can go home. I’m sorry.” She picks up her phone and runs, leaving the man there. “Ethan!” She yells, out of breath. “Are you available right now? Meet me at the Hyacinth Cafe on the corner of Elm and Wisconsin!”

“I’ll be there in five minutes. See you then.”

I never expected to see Ethan again. Nor did I want to. . .but maybe there’s a way to undo this wish and stop the proposals. I’ll have to confront him. . .and apologize. 

Jen is still running by the time she reaches the cafe. She pulls open the door. I’m safe here. Safe inside. She walks up to the bar casually. 

“Hey there, what can I get you this morning?” asks the man at the register.

“Hi, I’ll have. . .a Calming Chamomile Tea, and one ‘Merican Mocha with a shot of espresso.”

“Can I have a name for the order?”

“Jen.”

“Alright, I’ll call you when it’s ready.”

Jen walks away hurriedly to an isolated table. I really thought something would happen. . .Please hurry, Ethan. I don’t want to be alone anymore. 

Just then, Ethan walks in. He sees Jen and sits down across from her. In her time of crisis, all would-be awkwardness is gone between them. “Hey. . .”

“Hey. I. . .ordered your usual for you.”

“Thanks. . . anything happen?”

“No, thankfully. I was afraid that the cashier would. . .you know.”

“Yeah,” Ethan says. “Me too.”

“What was that?” Jen asks. “Didn’t catch that last part.”

“Nothing,” Ethan covers up hurriedly.

“Jen!” The cashier calls. Jen walks up.

“Thanks!” Jen says, calmer now. 

“No problem, ma’am.” Jen turns around, but the cashier stops her. “Actually, ma’am. There's something I’d like to ask you.”

The same panicked look in his eyes surfaces.

“Sir, I know you’re-”

“Will you marry me? You’re like the ice to my hot coffee. . .” he pulls out a golden ring from behind the counter. “Someone left this here yesterday, and. . .”

“Actually, sir, if you will. . .she’s taken.” Ethan looks down at Jen from where he approached behind her.

“Ethan, what are-”

Ethan subtly motions for the bartender to leave. 

“Jen, I’m so sorry that I broke up with you. I didn’t tell you this, but my mother. . .she died, and wasn’t in a good spot. I blamed my mood on your anger, but really it was over something we can’t control. I’m so sorry. I heard what you said to a friend who danced with you at the office party, and I don’t blame you. Putting on a brave face like that. . . I’m so sorry. It’s your first Christmas away from your whole family, and I basically told you to spend it alone. Jen, please forgive me.”

“Ethan. . .I forgive you. But only if you forgive me, too. . .I’m sorry. What I said was out of line.”

“Of course I do. . .but now. . .Jen,” Ethan says, getting down on one knee. “Jennifer Mikaela Minton, will you marry me? I love you so much, and I’m so sorry for the other night.” He pulls out a fifth golden ring.

“On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me. . .” Jen sings under her breath. “Five golden rings! The fifth. . .of course! The wish!” She speaks to Ethan now. “I love you Ethan Holt. You’re my true love!”

Ethan laughs and slips the gold ring onto her finger. He picks her up and spins her around. “Yes, Jen, yes!”

“I missed you,” She mumbles into his shirt after he sets her down.

“I’m so sorry,” he mumbles back.

“Stop apologizing. . .” she whispers.

“Merry Christmas Eve, Jen.”

“This is the best present I could hope for. . .”

“Now, grab our drinks! And as we back home, tell me- what were all those proposals about?”

The wish! Oh, no. . . “They’d all be better than Ethan!” 

“About that,” Jen starts. “Maybe that’s a story for another day.”

“Okay, babe. Just promise you’ll tell me some day,” Ethan says. “Can’t have guys proposing to my girl all the time.”

“I promise,” Jen says. I”ll probably regret that later. . .

Hand in hand, the couple walks home. The fifth golden ring fits snugly on Jen’s hand, entwined around her true love’s.

December 24, 2020 03:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Amazing story. I love how in the beginning, you didn't write where the setting was, but we knew where it started when Ethan said "'Ethan lowers his voice. “Jen, please sit down; the other customers are staring. . .'" Also, the beginning had so much tension! Loved how it made me tingle :o It's so creative too, the wishing! I also liked the "fifth golden ring" part. That was creative when you matched it with the song ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claire Tennant
04:08 Dec 31, 2020

Great word pictures and pace in this Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:54 Dec 25, 2020

Haha, awesome story! The characters are super vivid and I love how you portrayed all the drama. Jen having regrets about lying about how bad Ethan was made her more realistic, I think. All in all, great job on this!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.