1 comment

Inspirational Christmas Friendship

Throughout the month of December my families do a lot of cooking. Every year I watch my grandma make her famous cookies. We call them wreaths. She makes them so perfectly I don’t think I could ever make them just as good. As she sets them out on the table Christmas Day my cousins and family are grabbing them right off the plate before she can set them all out. This year I decided that I was going to try and make them, just to surprise her. I think that it would make her super happy and excited that I wanted to make something just like her. I first had to go to the grocery store to gather the ingredients that I thought I needed. I was thinking about how easy it looks to make but I think it’s just because my grandma can do it so well. I walked down the aisles, grabbed some stuff to mix up rice krispy treats, a box of food dye, and red jelly beans. I checked out and was on my way home. I started making them right away, I started with the rice krispies because that is the main part. The marshmallows were melted now I had to add the krispy part. I mixed for what felt like hours. It was so hard to stir, it got so sticky. I then added green food dye to make the crispy treats green and look more like a wreath. Then I tossed it into a long container and took small balls and flattened them out. After flattening them I cut circular holes in the middle to make it look like a wreath. Then for the final part I added two red jelly beans on the top to really pull it all together. I thought it looked amazing. This was the best cookie I have ever made. Thanks to grandma, if I wasn’t so interested in her cookies I never would have even tried to be making them. I really thought this would make her so happy. The next day she came over to visit and the first thing I showed her was that I made her famous cookies. I told her to try them and let me know if they were just as good as hers. Doing this made me feel so good inside. I felt like the whole family would be proud of me. That I did something to contribute to our family’s Christmas desserts. Everyone loves the desserts the most in my family too, so knowing everyone will love it makes my heart happy. I hoped that people would think grandma made it and not me, because if my brothers knew I made it they would automatically say “ewww” because that is just what siblings do. Of course. The brothers are always so mean. I am the middle child of two boys. We are each three years apart. Sometimes I really like it and sometimes I really hate it. I usually do things on my own like cooking because they always have to come in and ruin it or eat the dough out of the bowl or eat the chocolate. Literally anything that is out they will start eating. It’s like they could eat anything without getting a stomach ache. My mom was very proud of me for making my grandma's cookies, because she thought it was very special of me to do that for her. My grandma is getting old as well, so it is hard for her to do some things now. I just wanted to help her out and do something to make her day. I love making my grandma's day. It is always so fun to see her smile so big. Especially after my grandpa passed away. She has been struggling a lot but I always try to help her out. I think that I should win the best granddaughter award because of everything that I do. It’s a good thing I enjoy doing everything for her because I think it is fun and I feel very useful to her and we have grown so close together and that makes everything so much better. I think that I am going to carry her tradition after she passes, just because we are so close and because she means a lot to me. I never could imagine her leaving me. I wish grandparents could live forever. I can talk to her about anything and I can ask her for advice about any situation that is going on. She always has a story as well. I always hear another story when I am with her and it is so much fun. It’s either a story about grandpa or about her when she was a teenager like me. She talks about her experiences and what she had to go through as a child, her sibling arguments, and her family problems. She always tells me stories. It is so much fun listening to them. I can’t wait to tell my family about when I got to make grandma’s favorite cookies. I hope my kids will want to make cookies with me. But by then I will have been making cookies for so long, maybe I will come up with a cool cookie that I can make without any help. Maybe I will force my kids to make cookies with my mom, so that they can do the same thing I did. They would want to do that right? Then I can have some time to relax while they make all the goods. My grandma has given me so many good memories. I love her so much. I can’t wait to keep making her famous cookies and bring them to our family Christmas Dinner. The other special thing about this is that it is only during Christmas so this is a one time of the year type thing. That is what makes this so special to me. I hope to continue to surprise my grandma with her cookies. Maybe I can make them better than her one day!

December 09, 2020 14:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Llind Kam
04:44 Dec 17, 2020

Hey, I enjoyed reading the story and i think you enjoyed writing it too as it was very soulful. Your writing style is simple and I mean it as a compliment. This kind of writing is hard to come by nowadays. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.