Deathly

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic thriller.... view prompt

2 comments

Thriller Science Fiction Romance

"IS THAT WHAT THE EARTHLINGS USED TO WEAR ON NATIONAL CARNIVAL?" Bianca bellowed and grimaced at the sight as she saw her mother pulling out her great great great grandmother's dress. Her mother smiled, shook her head and said "Honey, it is a very pretty dress. Do you see the beautiful turquoise colour? It is the last one left here now on The Duke after virulence." Bianca just grimaced as she caught the dress her mother pushed in her arms. Why can't we just skip it? Bianca had always hated the National Carnival. It was celebrated for reminiscing the memories of Earth. "National Carnival is for us to remember about the beauty of Earth and its culture and how one day we can go back and we should hope" she mimicked the captain of the space station. "THIS DRESS! WHY IS THIS UP TILL MY NECK? THE DUMB HIGH NECK. UGH!" she groaned out as the dress was too confusing to wear for her. Sliding down on the floor, she pulled her hair and messed up. National carnival just to celebrate how those people destroyed earth. The oxygen is finishing here. I saw this technical issue but speaking it to the population of The Duke would have me thrown into space as a consequence. We are all gonna die soon. 

Bianca’s train of thoughts- all ended with death of her, her family and her friends.

Her eyes brimmed with tears as she hastily wiped it and heaved a sigh to calm herself down. "Mum doesn't need to know. She will stress about it and fall sick. I am going to attend the carnival for mother." she picked up the dress and shimmied into it. It was difficult but after a long time, she finally got into it. The full length mirror showed the beautiful princess bodice accentuated her looks and the colour on her porcelain skin looked like a seagull in a pack of crows. 

"Bianca sweetie you look so pretty in it. C'mere." her mother smiled at her daughter as she held Bianca in a bone-crushing hug. "Mum I can't breathe" Bianca croaked out and laughed. "Oh honey. I am so sorry, but you look so gorgeous." her mother pulled her from the hug and patted her shoulder as a sign to go to the main hall for the carnival. Sighing, she left her room and walked towards the main hall. "Hey Bianca! Wait up for me." a sound came from behind and Bianca instantly smiled looking at her best friend Diego. "Diego woah. You don't look like 'a man who hasn't showered for days' today." Diego slapped the back of her head as they laughed. Diego knew the oxygen technical issues. They had to live the moments. They couldn't make memories because they knew memories were to fade away and they had to hold onto moments. 

The main hall was filled with so many lights, different symbols of rectangular clothes which they called "flags" and lots of paper fans and disco balls. "Diego I don't want to wear that" Bianca pushed him away as Diego laughed as he put a weird crown on Bianca's head, a paper with blue-white strips and stars which was one of the "flags" and a pair of glasses which looked like a frog's face. Bianca laughed aloud as Diego pulled up weird faces while wearing a similar head wear but with a different "flag". "Dust-Bianca my amazing dustbin, say cheese!" Diego dragged her to the "photo booth" and as Bianca looked weirdly at him, a flash caught her eye as a weird device took out a paper piece from it.

Diego grinned like a kid as he ran to her and showed her the paper which had her picture. She smiled at him knowing that maybe this could be the last picture she could ever take of her and Diego. She squeezed him into a hug and flicked on his head as he crouched in pain and another flash came. The emergency lights flashed again. And the people in The Duke scrambled around like ants as they ran in the emergency room.

“It was going to happen soon.” whispered Bianca as her Diego got lost in the crowd. “It is happening. Oh My God! It is happening.” Her panic attacks came back as she shivered and fell on her knees. “Jesus! Lady get- Bianca?” a person spoke as she could see a pair of guard boots right in front of her eyes. “Bianca? Why are you not in emergency room? We need to go there as soon as possible.” It was Ezekiel, her ex-boyfriend. “Ezekiel?” she was overwhelmed with a sense of nostalgia as Ezekiel knelt down and helped her get up. “Get up Bee” Ezekiel held her close until she was calm. As if a sudden flash came, he put his hands back and looked straight at the wall behind her and spoke monotonously “You need to go in the Emergency room right now.”

Bianca wrapped her arms around his neck and pecked him. If it’s gonna be the end of them, she might as well do it. Her mind was haywire and she slowly moved towards the emergency room without looking back.

“What did she mean by one last time? Why did she do that?” were the only words Ezekiel could mutter as he touched his lips and tried his best not to let a smile come on his face.

“Greetings! We have an emergency meeting.” Chancellor Vega spoke. Bianca’s eyes followed to Chancellor Vega’s right where she saw Ezekiel standing. “Such a young age and right hand of Chancellor.” Diego whispered as he was awed by him forgetting the fact that the guard was her ex-boyfriend. “I am deeply regretting what I am about to say but the executive board has decided to send a group of youngsters to Earth.” Chancellor Vega’s voice was drowned under the waves of gasps and cries of the people. Bianca’s mother grasped her hand as she clinged onto her daughter. “Why Chancellor Vega?” a man screamed from the crowd as Chancellor Vega spoke “The oxygen levels are dropping. We must go back to Earth and according to the experts, certain youngsters have a high rate of survival. I must tell you all the names.”

Earth. Death. No oxygen on space-station. Death

Diego shook Bianca as he spoke worriedly “Bianca it won’t be us right? We can’t even swim properly. We cannot be sent of course we cannot right?” she didn’t know what to say as the names were called out. One-by-one. There remained a painful silence until the names called out. There were screams and cries as everyone closed their eyes and held onto their family.

“Bianca Eve Morris. Diego Adrian Miller. Ezekiel Adam Campbell.” Bianca and Diego looked straight towards each other and then Ezekiel, shellshocked could not describe how they felt. Bianca’s mother clinged onto her hand and cried loudly just like Diego’s parents and Ezekiel’s mother.

“Not her please” “He wont be able to survive” the voices were mixed out and the chaos in the halls increased and so the youngsters were forced and pushed outside all while Chancellor Vega explained “We can live on Earth now. It is free of the poisonous air. We have investigated.”

A sudden burst of air was let in the different room where the youngsters were as they dropped on the floor one by one. “We are going to be knocked up till they put us in the space-shuttle going to Earth.” Ezekiel muttered as Bianca fell unconscious.  

September 24, 2020 06:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

07:48 Oct 02, 2020

Wow! This was an amazing read!🤗🙂

Reply

Harshita Kaur
12:20 Dec 12, 2020

Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.