1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

“Our Father who is in heaven, holy is your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us today our sufficient food, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”

“……”

“Hi, it’s me. I was reading that if you’re learning to pray, that I could start with the Lord’s Prayer. You might have noticed that I changed some of the words. Is that wrong?”

“……”

“Okay, so no response. I wasn’t really expecting you to answer me. I feel like I should explain why I made those word changes. The word hallowed means holy and made more sense to me as you’re supposed to be holy. I took thy out because it seems like an old-fashioned word when it just means you. As for the bread word, you know I don’t eat that anymore, so I changed that to food. I’m not sure why I’m explaining this to you when they say you already know everything and the reasons for everything. They also say while I pray, I can ask for what I want or to tell you my worries. Asking for what I want, sounds selfish to me and don’t you already know what I want and what worries me?”

“……”

“I guess I want this to be a positive thing in my life, so I think I want to say thank you for all the good things that I appreciate. Yes, that’s what I’ll do! So, first off, thank you for protecting all my family by keeping them safe and healthy. And thank you for protecting all my friends by keeping them safe and healthy as well. And they say a person should also pray for peace on earth. I must admit, that’s a hard one for me to believe since there is so many bad things happening around the world. Can there even be peace on earth? Should I just pray for that? Should I just have faith that peace is possible?”

“……”

“This would be easier if you would answer me. Could you just put the answer in my thoughts?”

“……”

“No?... Okay. How about I’ll say thank you for helping people around the world to be and do good things. Yes, that makes sense to me. I can believe that. So, when I pray, I will say the Lord’s Prayer, give thanks to you for my family, friends, and people around the world. Then I think I would like to send my love and good thoughts to individual people who need help with things that they are going through. Scientists have said they have proof that positive thoughts and words can help grow plants. I would think that would apply to people, hopefully over long distances too. What do you think of that idea?”

“……”

“I’ll take that as a yes. These individual people will change daily since everyone seems to have their own challenges. Hopefully, I can remember everyone because my brain seems to jump around a lot. Unrelated thoughts just seem to pop into my head while I’m supposed to be concentrating on praying.  I’m thinking about reading another type of bible related book tomorrow. I should have time tomorrow to add this into my day. Oops, and there’s one of those unrelated thoughts. Did you notice that?”

“……”

“Sorry about that. I’m back to praying. So…The Lord’s Prayer, thanking you for my family, friends, people of the world and individual people. What else? This only takes a few minutes and seems too short. Should I add someone or something else?”

“……”

“Oh, I wanted to tell you, that I started reading the bible! It’s supposed to be you and Jesus’ story, so I am going to read it chronologically. I have to say, after reading the first part of Genesis, I have a lot of questions. Good thing I am also reading an explanation guide to the bible at the same time. Although, that guide doesn’t answer all my questions, I will try to keep an open mind while I continue reading. It’s hard not to have the answers to my questions right away though. I feel like a child, curious and impatient, very much impatient. Will I have the answers when I finish the bible?”

“……”

“I just imagined if your voice suddenly showed up in my head, I would probably freak out a little. Maybe you could somehow put the answers in my path. People say when you need something, you have a way of making things happen. I want to believe this! Now that I think about it, I think there have been times in the past when you might have put things in my path. I just didn’t realize at the time that you were trying to communicate with me. I guess it takes time and maturity to look back on events in my life and put those events into the whole picture. Is that what you were doing?”

“……”

“Actually, I also wanted to mention, that I have been trying during the day to appreciate when good things happen. And to be more patient with people, when not so good things happen. I feel that I could do and be better with all of this. I guess, I could add that to my praying. Praying for more patience and to be a better person. But then, I’m back to asking you for something for myself like I mentioned at the beginning of this prayer time. Maybe, I could put that at the very end of our time together. So, I’m not taking up all the time for myself. How does that sound?”

“……”

“Anyways, this is all new to me and I hope you’ll have patience with me. I’m sure I will stumble along and definitely make some mistakes. I’m not even sure if praying is supposed to be a conversation like this. Although can I call this a conversation with you?”

“……”

“Okay…so good talking with you! Same time, same place, tomorrow?”

“……”

“Amen.”

February 23, 2023 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Howard Seeley
13:51 Mar 02, 2023

Hi Elle, Welcome to Reedsy. I enjoyed reading your first submission and I hope to read more from you. Take care and God bless.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.