1 comment

General

“Ouch , the same mistake again!” I am really dumb. Once again I am trapped in this little cage like room . How do I get out? Now I am on their mercy. I have to wait wait wait...

I am glad that at least I can see through the scene around me through the mesh walls or else life would have been more miserable. Of course this is happening the third time. Twice I was lucky. The old lady took pity on me and let me go but now I can’t see her. Last time I heard talking to her son that she would like to visit her old friends and enjoy the mountain air. Poor thing she was talking and that arrogant fellow all he said was ‘hmm’ and was too busy looking at his stupid mobile phone.

 Glad I don’t need such gadgets which freezes away all your emotions like love,  respect, care  except the eyes which remain glued to contact someone who is far away with least care for someone who is so close to you. Uff!  how I hate him.

Grey clouds , green grass, cool showers of round rain drops look attractive in a romantic movie where the person  is not worried about soiling the costume or spoiling  the makeup since it is at the cost of the producer but for people going to  work, hunting for food, the rain appears least  adventurous. Often I see people running with their office bags on their heads, women of all sizes covering their heads with their sari ends or the roadside vendors using huge plastic sheets to cover their wares. Even stray dogs don’t venture on roads. What chance do I stand? Look again it’s raining. This funny rain also forced me to enter this room.

One second-shh! I can distinctly hear the key turning in the hole. I hope some kind soul will let me go free. My God! Look whose there. The lady this time is in a pink sari. Last time I saw her in a light grass green. Why women like only soft shades where as their life is full of hard dull colors.

 Poor lady also seems to be a victim of the funny rain. All wet. I can see opening her wet sandals and lifting the shopping bag and is moving to the kitchen. Chh! She is moving in the opposite direction from where ever I am. How I wish she could come my way to open this door.

 But no! She’s at once working in the kitchen. Now she is arranging all the vegetables in the fridge, the poultry and fish in the deep freezer section. Next arranging the flowers in the glass vase with a crack may be saved in the nick of time from breaking. How I wish she looks at me instead of being so deeply engrossed in her work.

The phone is ringing somewhere. She is rushing towards are hand bag. Uff look at her - in fact all women have this habit of rummaging through their bags and still she did not find the phone. Now she has emptied all the contents. A lipstick, some coins, a compact, keys, a half a chocolate bar, and some receipts- still no trace of the dumb phone. It has stopped raining. I can see the phone on the sofa arm but my voice won’t reach her. She’s running towards the kitchen again. I can smell the milk has burnt. Poor thing! Now she can’t go out in the rain to get another packet of milk. It’s more than an hour she hasn’t taken rest but all the time preparing supper for the family.

“Ding dong , ding dong , ding dong...” whose that idiot ringing the bell. Doesn’t he have some patience? I am sure the lady must have gone to the restroom or is unable to hear in the sounds of the kitchen and noise of the rain. Oh look at her she’s literally running downstairs to open the door. I cannot see the person at door but can hear harsh angry words. I am sure who ever is at the door is shouting at her. Language is a barrier for me but the tone betrays the import of the words.

Now two sets of feet are coming up. One set is gentle the other appears to be crashing on the stairs. All I want them to notice me and open the door and let me go.

“More shouting more argument.. Uff can’t they behave like civilized people. The man simply flopped on the sofa and as switched on the television adding more noise. The lady is back to kitchen. Look! the lord is ordering around and she has come out with the tray arranged with snacks and two cups. May be the cups contain tea or coffee- who knows.

The man is munching again with lot of noise. Looking at him, hunger pangs are gnawing in my stomach. But who cares? What is that crashing sound? The nasty man threw the cup at the poor lady. May be the coffee or tea is not to his taste or is it the burnt milk. But that’s not the way to behave. Why the lady is tolerating him.

I don’t find the much difference between the lady and my condition. I got trapped due to my stupidity and this woman is in voluntarily. I would leave soon but I am sure she won’t. She would be worried about the indifferent relatives, emotional parents, may be growing children and society at large. They may not appreciate her actions if she abandons this nasty man. I am glad I am not married. Even if I were I would not tolerate this heartless slavery.

 She is busy picking up the pieces of the broken cup and he is comfortably glued to his television. I am unable to recollect the name of that person who had freed me last time. Why is he not there today? May be he is held up in the rain but hope he comes even if it’s late evening. I can still go back to my house and sleep in my cozy bed.

The phone is ringing again. The lady is desperately looking for phone. The fellow is least bothered to help her to locate the phone. The ringing has stopped. No! no no… wait it’s ringing again... the man is shouting at her and got up from the sofa . “Big fool” all the while he was sitting on it.

“Oh there are nearly ten miss calls from Bhiku”, the lady said. He left a message. “He is not coming today since it is raining hard and he has no transport to come. What shall I do now?” She spoke in an emotional tone. 

“You have already made the supper. What if Bhiku doesn’t come now” said the man arrogantly.

“I am worried about him. Who would free him”. Her eyes moved towards me.

OK! now I recollect the name Bhiku- the man servant. let me hear what this ox of a man is speaking.

“Oh that!” Let him wait till tomorrow. It will serve him good” said the man.

She walked slowly and softly towards me and said “ Bhiku please come!  At least for this poor creature and set him free from the trap, oh the poor rat!”

July 09, 2020 12:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Gopal Misra
16:42 Jul 13, 2020

A very nice third person account, interesting read

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.