0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama

Frank sits down at his desk in his home office. He pulls out some paper and his favorite fountain pen. He looks outside his window to the large flower garden that his wife has spent much time growing. He admires all the different types of lilies and chrysanthemums, among others, and the various blooms each one produces. He watches his wife, Wendy, as she meticulously trims one at a time.

Frank looks at the paper in front of him and starts to write his will.

I, Franklin P. Daniels, being of sound mind and body, hereby declare this document to by my last will and testament.

He sat there for a moment and thought about everything he had that he wanted to leave to his loved ones. His large home in the country with a hundred acres; the bank account that keeps him and his wife financially stable; and the investments that continues to load the bank account with more money. All his earthly possessions added up to well over ten-million dollars, according to Stan, his accountant and best friend. “To list each possession will be a chore,” Frank thought to himself. He started to write down the name of each person that he wanted to leave something to – His wife, the two children, and Stan.

Each person meant a lot to Frank, and each would get what he believed they deserved. He met Wendy 40 years ago and has been married to her for thirty-seven of those years. His oldest son, Steven, is thirty-eight has never once questioned why he was older than they were married. The youngest, Michelle, is thirty-one, and she did the math in her head a long time ago. Frank remembers when she came to him in his office and asked why Steven was a year older than we were married. Frank’s answer was a lie. He told Michelle that he and her mother were together one last time before he had left for the war. It was a couple of months later that he found out she was pregnant. They would be married when he returned, after Steven was born.

Frank never did tell Michelle the truth that Steven was not his son. He thought it would bring up more questions than he had answers for at the time. Wendy was the only other person to know this, and they never spoke of it. Not even Steven’s real father knew the truth about him.

Frank believed both of his children were fantastic kids. Each one graduated Magna Cum Laude and ended up with wonderful careers and families. He could not be more proud of them.

Stan was Franks best friend and had been since elementary school. They met in the sixth grade when his family moved next door. They quickly became comrades and have been for sixty years. Stan was there for Frank’s graduation from high school, and then his college roommate in Stanford. When Frank got married to Wendy, Stan was his best man. Stan was more like a brother to Frank than a friend. They had been through a lot together and nothing ever tore them apart. Frank remembered when he had found out about his pancreatic cancer, Stan was the first one he told. He helped him come up with the words to tell Wendy and the kids and stood by his side when he did.

Frank looked down at the paper again and started to write.

To my wife, I leave the home and all the investments.

To my children, Steven and Michelle, I leave my bank accounts divided evenly amongst the two of you.

To Stan, I leave one cent.

To all of you, I leave you with this knowledge… Back in 1968, the year Steven was conceived, and I was in Europe on business, I know Wendy was “comforted” by someone other than me. (Wendy knows who.) During my absence, Wendy fell into temptation of a great man. Someone better than myself. Someone that I have admired for years. From that brief encounter, Steven was conceived and born. 

Stan, I know that you were that man. I have known since 1968. 

Steven, I give to you your real father, Stan. And Stan, I give to you your son, Steven.

Wendy, I know you did not want anyone to know, but if you are reading this, then I am no longer around to hide it any longer. I thought it would be best if you were honest with Stan and Steven. They each deserve to know the truth.

Frank knew putting this in his will would be the only way the truth would get out. Frank loved Stan like a brother, and he did not want to bring up that he knew without knowing how he would react. 

When you find out your best friend had an affair with your wife while you were away is bad, discovering that she got pregnant from it is even worse.

While Frank was finishing his will, a knock came on his office door. “Yes. Come in,” Frank said. Steven walks in. “Ah, Steven, how are you?”

“I’m fine, dad. How about you?” Ever since Frank was diagnosed with cancer, Steven was always there for him. The love and respect they had for each other could only be compared to that of the bond Frank had for Stan. There was nothing that could tear it apart, no matter what challenges were faced.

“What can I do for you, son?” Frank said.

“Mom just asked me to check on you,” Steven said. “I guess you’ve been in here all morning and she was just worried.”

“I’m fine,” Frank said with a smile. “Your mom is probably just worried because of this dam disease.”

“Do you blame her, dad?” Steven said. “We all know it’s getting close to the end. I want you to know I’m here for you. Don’t go and hide on us when it’s time. You need us to help you through this.”

“You’re right, son,” Frank said. “I promise I will let you know if I’m not doing well.”

“Can I ask what you’re working on?” Steven said.

Frank thought for a moment. “I guess I can tell you. I’m working on my will.”

“You’re will?” Steven said. “I thought you had already done that?”

“I did,” Frank said. “There were a couple of changes I had to make. Nothing major. Just something I wanted to add for everyone.”

Frank stood from his desk and walked into the living room with Steven. Two days later, Frank would die. The reading of the will took place the next day. Things would never be the same afterwards.

September 02, 2020 18:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.