Christmas Wish List

Submitted into Contest #19 in response to: Write a short story about someone based on their shopping list.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Stephanie stepped into the mall, lights twinkling from the rafters, and the smell of cinnamon drifted in the air. With just a few days to go until Christmas Eve, she walked swiftly to the Book Store. She was late getting her dad's Christmas gift, and the thought of searching for a book he hadn't read bewildered her. Stephanie picked up an iced coffee from the barista and strolled down the aisles. She perused for thirty minutes before narrowing her choices down to two.


As she flipped open one of her choices, she noticed a piece of paper on the floor. Stephanie bent down to pick up the sheet of paper and accidentally dropped her coffee. It barely missed the books on the shelves, but it drenched the wooden flooring. She bit her lip to keep from screaming and desperately searched for a worker to help her clean up the mess.


After the spill was successfully mopped up by a teenager, who rather be anywhere but at work, she made her purchase. Stephanie realized she hadn't eaten since breakfast, so she set off to grab some dinner at the food court. As she devoured her chicken sandwich, she remembers the shopping list she found. The list was neatly written in red ink on a crisp sheet of notebook paper.


Shopping List:

eggs

butter

wheat bread

hope

grace to forgive

a new job before Christmas so I can keep John here



She frowned at the last few, wondering what brought such grief to the writer of the list. Stephanie flipped the paper over and noticed it was written on the back of a power bill. The address belonging to Christopher Exley. She folded the paper neatly and put it in her purse. With her heart, a bit heavier, Stephanie left for home.


Later that night, she laid awake a bit longer than usual. Her mind was on the man who desperately seemed to need help from outside sources. She finally drifted off to sleep a little after midnight with her heart a little bit heavier.


The next morning she poured some coffee as she opened the curtains to a sunny, bitterly cold winter day. Her dog, Fang, scurried in with his tail wagging in wait for his breakfast. Stephanie poured his food and clicked on her laptop.


She browsed the news and checked the day's weather. A chance of snow tonight, and with two days before Christmas, it would be nice to have a white Christmas. At this time of the year, Stephanie usually felt a little lonely. She was single and childless, and at thirty-four, she was finally ready to open her heart up to someone.


After showering and getting dressed, she took the short drive to her family-owned bakery. Her father ran it in the morning, and she usually picked up the night shift. The sweet smell of sugary desserts filled the air as she stepped into the warm store. 


" Hello, Dad" she smiled as she took her place behind the counter.


Frank gave his daughter a hug and took off his apron. " Hey, Steph, we were really busy this morning. We've slacked off since the chance of snow was announced."


Stephanie took notice of the empty store and let her mind wander. Her thoughts went quickly to the man from the Christmas shopping list. She wondered who John was and what needed to be forgiven. She had checked the address of the list she found once again. The man who penned the list's neighborhood was just one over from hers. 


The bell chimed as a customer came in, and with that, her day stayed busy. Later that afternoon, the sky was full of purplish greying clouds hinting at the snow that was to fall. She closed up her store and decided to go for a walk. 


Stephanie strolled down the sidewalk taking in the illuminating Christmas lights that dawned the buildings. She ended up in the square where the town Christmas tree was lit. Stopping to gaze at the tree she overheard people laughing and talking excitedly. With Christmas day just two days away, she hoped the man whose list she found would get everything he wanted.


The next day, on Christmas Eve, she woke to Fang licking her face. She was grateful as she was supposed to open the store this morning. The bakery was surprisingly busy on this day with people seeking last-minute treats to serve for Christmas or kids looking for something to leave Santa.


She opened her window and was surprised at the snow that had already fallen. She quickly dressed and left for the store making sure to leave Fang plenty of water and food. She balanced her keys, notebooks, and laptop as she carefully navigated through the snow to her Jeep.


After she opened the store and set out the treats for the day, customers immediately flooded in. She greeted them cheerfully, as she helped kids pick out the perfect cookie for Santa. The store was mostly empty, besides a boy of about eight, sitting by himself at a table. 


She continued helping the last few customers and noticed he wasn't with any of the people who just left. Stephanie figured maybe he was waiting on his parents who was doing some last-minute shopping. She took some gingerbread cookies out of the display and walked over to him.


" Hello, would you like some cookies?" she offered.


The boy looked up, and she noticed tears in his eyes. Concerned, but she wanted to proceed, cautiously as to not frighten him. She took a seat at his table and placed the treats in front of him.


"Are you waiting for your parents?", she asked. He didn't reply but reached out for a cookie. His blue eyes glimmered with tears as he quietly ate the gingerbread. Stephanie looked out the window and noticed the snow had accumulated to almost twelve inches.

Fear crept up in her throat. Where were his parents? What should she do if they don't show up?


"You know Santa comes tonight, and if we don't get you home soon you might not make it to bed in time for him to stop by." She figured the thought of Santa missing his home might get him to talk. 


" My mom is wanting to take me to England," he said.


" Well, that sounds fun, why don't we call her?" she replied.


"No, no I want to stay with dad", he cried. 


" Why don't you tell me your name and I'll call your father," she said warmly. Stephanie tried to remain calm as her phone beeped with a winter weather advisory. She called her father and assured him she was ok, not wanting to scare him.


" Okay, how about you tell me your name and I will give you a small piece of cake," she said. He clearly liked the sound of that and shook his head ok. 


"My name is JP," he said. She honored their deal and walked over to the window and quickly seen how dangerous the situation had become.


" Now will you please tell me your phone number so I can let your dad know your ok?" she asked while smiling, hoping that would help.


"I don't want to go home, I hoped by coming here and buying Santa a real special cookie he would give me my Christmas wish," he said. His dark hair fell in his face as tears started to well up again. 


" I know sweetheart, how about I give you all the treats you want and that way Santa will definitely be happy. I can't promise you he will give you your wish but I can promise Santa will try, " she said. 


Suddenly a loud noise banged on the door, and Stephanie whipped around to see the wind had blown the sign off the store. She muffled a scream, as the lights flickered, on and off. JP ran closer, as the power went out.


She reached for her phone and dialed 911. They promised to get there as soon as they could, but with the storm, it would take a while. She hung up the phone and calmed JP as he started to cry.


"It will be ok, the police are going to come and everything will be fine," she said. She glanced at her phone, it was a quarter past six. Where were his parents?


" I want my daddy," he exclaimed. " My name is John Paul Exley." will you please find my daddy?", he said.


Stephanie's mind raced for a moment. The name Exley was familiar. 

" JP is your dad's name Christopher?", she asked.


Moments later she called his dad, who frantically answered. She assured him John Paul was fine, but they were currently locked inside her bakery, with the entrance blocked. Within thirty minutes, Christopher and the police, coincidentally, showed up at the same time.


" Thank you for watching JP, I've searched everywhere, and then the snow started falling, and I got so scared.JP must've heard his mom and I arguing before he ran off," he replied.


"Dad, I'm sorry. I don't want to go to England, I want to stay here with you," JP replied.

" I know son, I know, " he choked back tears as he hugged his son.


Stephanie quietly backed away and spoke to the police and firemen. They assured her the bakery was safe until the sign could be replaced and they boarded up the door so nobody could get in. She called her dad and explained what happened.


"Thank you again, for keeping him safe. He told me he saw the bakery on the way back from the mall the other night," he said. Christopher pointed to the signposted in the window.  

Get Santa's Cookies Here!

Stephanie smiled to herself at the coincidences. She pulled the paper out of her purse and handed it back to him. " Here I think this is yours," she said.


Christopher took it from her and smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, this was an act of desperation," he said sheepishly. " His mom and I are divorced and she wants to take him back to England for her work. I lost my job a few weeks ago and things were, I mean are pretty tough right now," he said.


"Do you mind if I ask what kind of work you are in?" Stephanie asked.


" Well, I am in construction mostly," he said.


Stephanie looked toward the door and said: " I sure could use some help around here and come to think of it I've been wanting to update my kitchen here also."


One year later:


Stephanie woke up to Fang barking excitedly. She ran to the window and seen the snow falling. Christmas Eve morning and snow to go with it she thought fondly. 


" Hey, hon, what time is your dad coming over", said Christopher. JP followed holding Fang's leash. She hugged them both tightly. Smiling at the thought of the list she found. His list of hope and grace led to her family and happiness.



December 13, 2019 23:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.