All Because of A Summer Day

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure

There was once a day in my childhood, when I met a boy who told me about the future. This is not a joke. Well, it happened when I was at least eight, and write now, I am 35.

I will tell you my story.


It was summer.

The scorching sun in the sky was so terribly making people hot.

Especially Penny.

Penny coughed. She was now walking at the sidewalk. Here there were barely trees, so there was no shadow to hide in.

Sweat dropped from the back of Penny's neck. They slithered everywhere, mostly her hair.

The people Penny saw were all enjoying the sun.

Seriously?

Why weren't they feeling hot? If Penny were them, she would take a bathe of icy-cold water. That would be better.

Some rose soap would make it lovely.

Aha. That would be perfect.

Penny was then walking on some cool grass.

Just then, Penny stopped, thinking.

Should I go right now home? She thought. I would wish it was raining. That would be better than getting hot.

Crash!

Suddenly, some thing clashed against her and Penny went on the ground. She was still in shape, thanks to the grass.

Some whizzing sound and bell sound clucked.

A teenager in a helmet approached her. He held little cycle.

He helped Penny up. ' Are you alright?' He asked.

' I am fine,' Penny dusted the little soil that stuck to her dress.

The teenager looked back anxiously. It was as if some assassin was chasing him.

Or was it the sun? Oh, don't be silly, Penny.

' What's the big deal?' Penny asked. ' Running from the sun or something?'

Oops. Shouldn't have said that. What's wrong with you, Penny? Penny scolded herself in her mind. Whats, " Running away from the sun" for?

' Um..' said the teenager. He grabbed her wrist and dragged her behind a bush. Now they were crouching.

' Why-' Penny started, but the teenager cut her off with his hand on her mouth. ' Whisper,' He said, removing his hand.

' Why are we hiding?' Penny said, accidentally loud.

' Stop it,' he whispered. ' Whisper,'

Oops.

' Why are we hiding?' Penny whispered.

' Because if I answer you the question out loud, I will be giving it off,'

' Giving what off?' said Penny.

' The secret,'

' Tell me the secret,' said Penny, ' I won't tell anyone,'

The teenager took a deep breath. ' The future...I know the future..'

' Tell me!' Penny got excited to know, she spoke too loud again.

' Don't you mind?' He cried. ' Can't you at least be a bit quiet?'

There you go, Penny thought, I angered him.

He muttered something and then said.

' The future,' He whispered. ' Is that zombies will come and attack humans, on the day of your birthday,' ' And make a promise with me. Don't tell anyone about the future. And my name is Jack!'

He suddenly smiled, which seemed like the first time in his life, and he turned into dust.

Penny stroked the dust. ' I will keep my promise,' she whispered. She took the dust and put it in a bottle.


Two years past.

I am now seven. Tomorrow, is my birthday! I am going to become eight! I always was anxious of the zombies, but soon I forgot.

And the next day came. But then, I received a birthday gift from an unknown person who seemed to know me.

I decided I will open it in secret, so once all my friends left and the party was over.

I noticed a letter.

It said,

First read letter then open gift,

I didn't mind that, and slowly opened the gift.

But I hadn't realized that "First open letter then open gift" was a warning, but not something that could be ignored.

And when I opened it, an alarm stood, and it was blaring like ever.

Then, suddenly, a giant bomb came. It struck into my mother's body, as I started to weep.

Just then, a red light flashed on my dad, and he was dead. Spaceships were everywhere. The main door blasted open. This is not a joke, it was the worst day of my life.

I darted under the bed, and slowly took out the bottle of dust I collected two years ago. But it was no more dust. There, a piece of paper stood.

I screwed the lid open and took the paper. The handwriting was very neat. It said,


Dear Penny,

Two years ago I met you. I hope you remember me, and the future telling I told you. But the unknown gift sent to you, I sent it to you. And you were supposed to read the letter. It was a warning.

The letter told you deep advice of what to do when the zombies come.

But now they are in your house, there's nothing to do. I warn you, don't you ever look behind you.


I began to listen. I already had my parents killed, and that was enough. Enough is enough. Too many surprises and shocks, and killing and crying.

But as time passed, I began to feel curious.

And I just forgot that I wasn't listening to people's warnings, and when I looked behind, I saw a head shaped as an egg, and two antennae, three eyes, and a blue jumper.

I screamed. The zombie took a bomb, and blasted me.

That was the end.

But not exactly the end. I managed to survive.


I slowly opened my eyes. Everything was blurry, but though I saw this 18-year old looking at me.

I was carried. I hate this feeling. Being old enough and still be carried.

Oh god.

The teenager looked at me. ' You should remember me,' he said.

' I still remember,' I said. I looked around myself. I looked back, and I saw Earth spread just like a map. All the countries and continents were clearly seen. Then the sun was seen as a gigantic huge marble that was of golden colors.

Penny was wearing an astronaut suit.

'My name is Ode,'

' But you said that your name was Jack,'

' Yes, I did,' He said. ' I should have told you,' He sighed.

What was very weird that Ode was breathing without any astronaut suit. He had control over himself.

' I should have told you,' He said. ' That I am a zombie,'

I yelled.

That's creepy.

Just then, he turned into a zombie.

Oh. My. God.

' Why are you talking to me?' I cried. ' Go to your zombie-zombie nest!' ' And,' I included, ' Change yourself back into a human!'

' Alright, alright,' and He turned into "Jack".

' I needed to tell you about the future,'

' Why me?' Penny said, feeling like as if she was talking like people from stories. ' Why not others and why me?'

' I don't know,' Ode said. ' I wanted to tell you that I was cursed to be a zombie, and not born as a zombie,'

' Then why not we remove the spell?' Penny asked.

' It's going to be tricky,' Ode said.

' Just tell me, Ode.'

' Don't call me Ode!' He cried. ' Use Jack,'

' But it's your name,' Penny insisted.

Jack scowled at Penny.

' Tell me,' said Penny.

' Alright,' He said. ' The person who goes the closest to the sun without getting burnt will remove the spell,' ' And don't forget, you have to touch the sun also,'

' And don't forget,' Jack cried, ' TO BE CAREFUL!' ' Oh, and wait,' He gave a little rock. ' Just for your safety

I hold the stone in my hand.

I smile at him, and air-swim towards the sun.

I am getting scared. But it's for him. I slowly go closer. My suit begins to burn. I slowly go closer. My suit splits like a zipper, and flies away like a balloon.

But I still don't stop. At least I have my helmet on.

Then, cracks begin to happen. They slowly grow. They cracks begin to slowly fall out. Some goes away, but some pierce my skin.

Ouch. That's not funny.

My helmet falls out me like a tumbling marble.

Oh, no.

But I still go closer. Everything gets brighter, and I use my arm to support my eyes.

Ladies and gentlemen, please don't forget that looking at the sun can damage your eyes.

Suddenly, this tingling feeling comes to my feet, and then in a dash I am spinning so wildly, I nearly fainted. And then my legs began to feel powerful, and as a strong current swished against my knees, I flew closer to the sun. And, I was getting closer.

Yay!

It's a yay, of course. But everything is too bright, I almost lost my eyes.

Then I remember of Jack.

No. I can't loose to him.

Every time I get closer, it's painful but then when I clutch the stone even harsher I feel alright.

I stretch my hand against the big marble of heat, and I slowly get my pinky closer to the sun.

Tap.

And with a tiny tap, everything just became so quick, it was as if time had stopped.

And I had never felt so proud of myself, especially when my parents passed away.

And then Jack swims to me.

He smiles to me. His face is already telling me he is thanking me. I am also congratulating myself.

Jack says then, ' I created a house already,'

We both hold each other hands, and swim towards Earth.

When I get closer, everything is visible.

I thought disaster would be there, but everything was normal. My parents were walking down a sidewalk. People are rushing to the malls.

I looked at the sun behind me.

I never thought, never ever thought, that me saving one man's curse also saved the whole world of mine.

It's under my control right now, and I am the one to save it. Forever.

Jack nudges me. ' Hey. I am not Jack anymore. I am not Ode. I am, Owen,'

I grin at him.

' Our lovely hero,' He ends.

Aw. So cute.

' Hey!' Owen cries. ' That's the house I made!'

I look to my right, and I see a small, little, not-so-big wooden house being carried by a bunch of balloons.

We go inside it.

Everything is so beautiful. Two beds, a kitchen of silver utensils, clothes, everything is there I want. But set up neatly in a tiny house.

' And oh,' said Owen. ' I saved up for the best.'

He opened a little cupboard, and two gliders stood, one yellow and the other blue.

I smiled.

We grab the gliders and - Whoosh!

We fly in the sky, everything is lovely, all normal, as it used to be, with no zombies, no disasters, just adventures of flying in the sky.

September 21, 2020 15:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tanja Cilia
04:32 Oct 01, 2020

This sounds like one of my dreams - disjointed, but with a common thread. I like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deekay V
16:01 Sep 21, 2020

Nice story! I like the creativity. Penny is always worrying about the right thing in the starting. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.