4 comments

General

Emma placed her bags in the trunk and hopped into the driver’s seat. It was going to be a long drive, but well worth the destination. “I haven’t been home since graduating high school. I wonder how much has changed?”, she thought. She put the car in drive and drove toward the east coast, leaving her world behind just for a few days. Excitement drove for 10 hours and the remaining three hours were driven by “ready to get it over with”. Emma had forgotten how long the drive was and exhausted was an understatement. Just a few more miles to go. Years of not seeing my sisters has been difficult. Emma has missed them every day they have been apart. It is so difficult to keep a close relationship when there are so many miles between us. Each of us have our own families and obligations to oversee. The sunrise illuminated the driveway. Finally, I fumbled out of the car to look up to see my sister standing in the door with a fresh brewed cup of coffee.

Big hugs and conversation over coffee extends the morning. Flashbacks invade my memory of teenage heads together sipping coffee and wiping tears. I miss those days often. Little foot steps run down the hallway and I am faced with the biggest blue eyes and the sweetest smile I quickly remember seeing from a much smaller version. Bigger footsteps follow and my oldest nephew is towering over me. My have they grown. Where has the time gone? Emma was exhausted from the long drive. A little rest would go along way. She sat down on the couch as the boys hustled to get ready for the day. Emma sank in the couch and went out like a light.

Splashing and laughter could be heard from my place of slumber on the couch. Emma quickly jumped up and ran to the back sliding glass door. The boys were swimming and splashing in the pool and there my sister sat on her float with cocktail in hand. “Come enjoy the pool”, she yelled smiling from ear to ear. Her smile reminded me of her five year old self after she had done something and blamed it on me. “I’m good”, I replied laughing. I will watch from this chair. Age and life have not been kind to my body, so I avoid a bathing suit at all cost. Then the question was presented. What would you like to do tonight? There are endless possibilities of things to do at the Jersey shore. Miles of beach line the coast with boards to walk for hours. The smell of saltwater takes you out into the depths of the ocean as the dolphins swim just off shore. People everywhere, basking in the sun. Kids building magnificent sand castles while being dosed with sunblock. Water parks and putt putt golf were not in short supply.

Many nights were spent parading the board walk. Sounds of spinners and arcade games played along the way. The smell of sausage, peppers, and onions grilling under the pavilion would guide you to the counter to order. Ice cream stands at each end with rides that insinuated you were above the ocean. Friends from schools alike would gather and meet. Music bumped from traffic filled streets and paraded with neon lights set to bass. Pizza so large, they could feed a small army. Loud music generated from clubs on the strip. Ladies dressed to impress and men willing to accommodate walked the sidewalks sharing conversation and jokes. It seemed so big back then. Would it seem as big now?

Emma finally replied to her sister, “I’d like to go to the board walk”. “The board walk it is”, her sister replied. I felt like a child with excitement waiting to go to that big amusement park. The barbecue began. We enjoyed ribs and chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs, and potato salad until we could not possibly eat anymore. Everyone loaded up in the car. Driving over the bridge, I couldn’t help but stare at the bay. I miss it so much at times. This is where I grew up. This is my stomping ground. Boats lined the bay of people hoping to make the catch of the day. The beaches were emptying as the sun began to set. Surf boards tied down on roofs of cars and half worn wet suits are drying as people end their favorite ocean activities. The night life was waking up as flashing lights began to dance. Bathing suits became shorts and tees and a sweatshirt to shield from the cool night air.

I could not help but feel ignited as the voices carried to come play their game. The sugary smell of cotton candy and taffy brought a smile to my face. The smell of pizza, sausage, peppers, and onions, and cheese steaks starved a hole in my stomach once again. Standing in line to purchase tickets so that every ride could be ridden. I was a child again. My heart felt so happy as the memories poured from my mind. It feels as though it has been forever since I have been home. We walked miles on the boards that night. We rode the carousel, played arcade games, and ate till we were all sick. Salt water taffy was bought as a souvenir to take back. People of all kinds doing the same. The most amazing view of waves crashing gently on the beach with a dark sky lit with stars. The moon danced off the water. Serenity and peace filled my soul. It was so good to be here.

Emma’s escape to the Jersey shore would come to an end. Hugs and kisses to everyone and back in the car for the long ride home. Reminiscing on the road of the events of the trip. It felt good to go visit and to remember. My childhood began at the shore and a reminder is necessary from time to time. But Emma couldn’t wait to return home. Kentucky is where her life is built. A home, a family, and years of time have created her story. The trip helps Emma to realize that home is truly where your heart is. Emma’s story will remain in Kentucky, but she will do her best to take a trip, more often, back to her childhood, where it all began.

July 18, 2020 16:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jane Andrews
10:59 Jul 30, 2020

Hi Heather. Like you, I wrote about going back to visit a place by the sea I'd frequented as a child - but mine was the British seaside as I live in the UK. It was fun to see how many similarities there are with the other side of The Pond! I like this as a story, but I did find it quite confusing as the POV started in 3rd person with Emma and then switched to 1st person - everything in the 1st person works really well, so why not rewrite your beginning and ending so that they're in 1st person too? You can still be the fictional character 'E...

Reply

Heather Cash
19:31 Jul 30, 2020

Hi Jane. Thank you for the great advice and I will definitely try that. I believe that there are a lot more similarities than people think!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mustang Patty
17:23 Jul 25, 2020

Hi, Heather, I'm surprised we both wrote about 'going home,' AND it involved Jersey. The story was good, and I enjoyed it. I would like to suggest to you a good style guide. I love Elements of Style 2017. It would help you with grammar and punctuation. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Heather Cash
19:59 Jul 25, 2020

That is very surprising! Thank you for your advice and I will definitely check out Elements of Style 2017.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.