0 comments

Drama

The unrelenting sun seared through the dusty streets of Kondi as the newly-formed construction site droned with bulldozers, graders and other earth-moving machinery. Among the bustling workers, Thando hauled a long water pipe from the delivery truck that had just come in; the first of the numerous trucks to arrive on the day to cater for the large sewer-line project ahead. He was almost too pre-occupied to see a man wearing a clean-cut black suit walking slowly towards the truck. He stopped and removed his hat to scrutinize the man approaching, it didn’t take Thando more than a second to notice that the man was not from around the simple town.

“Hey Mr!” Thando barked, “I don’t need anyone on my site without a hard-hat and reflector, this is not a tourist site… I don’t need any more injuries or lawsuits, now if you please.”

“Oh, I apologize… I come in peace. My name is Dr. Harrison Daka, you’re Mr Soko right?”

“Okay now, I think you’re looking for my father, he is the one who talks to clients – I just manage the sites,” Thando clarified.

“Uhm no Mr. Soko… you’re the one I’m looking for. I have been trying to contact you for months. I’m the Dean of Wrightford University and you have been quite actively ignoring our calls. I have a job offer for you,” the man said handing Thando a card.

“What? You’re the one that’s been bugging me? Mr – Dr… You’ve got the wrong guy. And as you can see, I already have a job,” Thando said sternly handing the card back.

“Listen Mr Soko… I’m not just offering you a job - I am offering you creative freedom, a chance to create, lead and explore your own programe within the University with all the resources and provisions you could possibly need.”

“Sir I’ve been telling your people that you have the wrong guy. Why would you need some construction worker to run a programe for you? Now if you’ll excuse me this truck won’t be offloading itself,” Thando said impatiently.

“Mr Soko… you and I both know that you’re not just a construction worker. I knew it when I saw that tattoo on your arm… isn’t that a Namibian protection symbol. It’s an easy give-off.”

“What this thing? I just picked it from a random pic. I don’t know what you think-”

“Now now Pat Mbingo… you are too smart to be playing dumb. That is your pseudonym right?”

“Urr- I-“

“Thando Soko… went to Frelder University where you were the star in the Bachelor of Arts History Programe, lowest average score point of 94 – you were offered a scholarship to do your Masters’ degree which you declined to go back to the rural region to work in your family’s construction company. But the for past ten years you’ve covertly been writing literature on African art history which tells me that you secretly want more than this,” Dr. Daka said taking a half-spin, his hand motioning towards the large construction site.

“I..I-,”

“Have I got your attention now? I do advise that you call me Mr. Soko,” Dr Daka said as he walked away.

********

 “What? You should go for it! What are you waiting for?” Mongi blurted, he had been standing over the kitchen counter watching Thando on the kitchen table with paperwork.

“I wish it was that simple, but you know I can’t just up and go,” Thando said agitatedly hitting buttons on a calculator.

“Because of Dad? He’ll get over it, and me and Nathi will continue to help him run the business... it’s not like we are going anywhere.”

“Yea, but I’m the oldest… I always felt compelled to be in the family business and lead by example for you guys.”

“I don’t need anyone to convince me to be in a construction site, getting to operate all those machines – I was born for it and I can’t imagine myself doing anything else,” Mongi said with a smirk. “But you have other passions, I don’t see why you shouldn’t go for it.”

“You know Dad won’t see it that way.”

“Hooey, if the rest of us, including him, get to do what we love… then why can’t you?”

“Is that Dad’s truck? Not a word to him about this, you understand?”

“He won’t hear it from me,” Mongi said raising his hands defensively. “You just need to grow a pair and tell Dad,” he said as he strolled out of the kitchen.

“Thando, you’re already doing the taxes? I thought you’d still be dealing with those goddamn trucks, I’ve never seen of such slow service,” his father greeted.

“Urr no I managed to get it done, I called the truckers and demanded that they assign at least three trucks to deliver or we would move our business elsewhere. After that it was relatively smooth, we were done by four.”

“That’s my boy! If they can’t do their job properly, teach them how to.”

“Uhm yeah, and how is it going upstate?”

“We are wrapping up should be out of there in the next two weeks, the client is being nit-picky so it’s taking longer than expected but the moment they sign the last check I’ll be joining you on the new site; and me and Cecelia are finally going to buy that mini-mansion we’ve been planning on.”

“I still don’t understand why she can’t just live here with us.”

“Err… this is your home, my boys’ home. And I know your mother’s passing wasn’t easy for you boys so I wouldn’t want to revive old wounds by bringing in another woman here… and besides we are making enough money to afford more than one house so why not? I always tell you son, if you work hard- you’ll reap the rewards,” Mr Soko said with a wicked grin.

“Huh yeah… so Dad, you never told me – is this what you always wanted to do?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean the whole hot-shot construction manager deal… is it what you always wanted? Did you ever want to do something else?”

“You mean like being a movie star?”

“I’m being serious Dad.”

“Uhh… well yeah… I wanted to do other things, make waves. But once I fell into construction I learnt to love it. And the money is great,” Mr Soko said winking at Thando.

“Aren’t somethings more important than money?”

“Son, show me a person who says money isn’t important and I’ll show you a liar. Besides, I got to build a legacy, a legacy that I’ll be glad to see you see run someday… I know you had the leave the college dreams to join me here, but I assure you you made the right decision… you would be stuck in some cubicle or office but now you get to live freely in the outdoors. That’s the life I always saw for my sons.”

“Yea… right,” Thando reluctantly agreed.

*********

Thando moved like church mouse as he packed. He neatly folded all his shirts in their respective color codes, all of them were either discolored or had stubborn stains from his arduous life in construction. He toiled soundlessly until all that was left in his closet were reflective vests, a hard-hat and two dirty boots – the life he was leaving behind. He stared at them bitterly but yet nostalgically; a life where he had no choices, a life chosen for him.

It was a few minutes past midnight and the house was pitch black and Thando carried a small torch -his father’s door was slightly open and he could hear his snoring across the hall. He cautiously dragged his suitcase along the lengthy hall; he passed his brothers’ rooms which were tightly shut and strode his way down the stairs. He was about to reach the front entrance when he was startled by a voice from behind.

“Where the hell do you think you’re going,” Mongi half-whispered.

“To buy some milk,” Thando answered passively proceeding to drag his suitcase.

“Hey… hey, you can’t just leave in the middle of the night.”

“Watch me.”

“I didn’t realize you were such a coward Thando. Are you really that scared of Dad?”

“I guess I am,”

“Thando-“

“You know him, he would never understand - he is so bent in his ways. Talking to him never helps,” Thando sighed.

“Running out in the middle of the night won’t help either, you can’t just-“

“What the hell is going on here you two?” Mr Soko’s voice boomed as he walked down to the bottom of the stairs, his eyes darting from Mongi to Thando. “Thando, is that a suitcase? Where are you going son?”

Thando exhaled loudly, “I can’t do it anymore Dad.”

“What? What do you mean?”

“I mean everything. It feels like I can’t even live my own life… Like I’m sacrificing myself so that your dream can come true. I never wanted any part of this. I have my own dreams too.”

“Oh,” Mr. Soko took in a breath, “I didn’t realize you felt like that.”

“I tried to tell you so many times, and every time it feels like you just stepped on me and made me lose faith in myself.”

“Oh… I didn’t mean to. I know you’re very bright and capable son… which is the main reason I wanted you to be part of the family business. I knew that if you were in it would continue being a success and even go to greater heights maybe. I guess I didn’t consider if you even wanted to.”

“I’m sorry Dad… I wish I could want what you want but… I need more,” Thando said his face dropping.

“I know son… So are you still leaving this instant?”

“Well… I might as well get a head start.”

“Well then good luck son.”

“Thank you Dad,” Thando said pulling his lips into a smile. He glanced at Mongi who nodded at him in affirmation and tugged on his suitcase carefully flinging the door open.

November 26, 2020 11:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.